Big Mistake by Warner Bro?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bruce_S, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

By hiring McG to direct the Superman V? I was browsing at IMDB.com and looked at McG bio and they listed Superman (pre-production) on his credit. Is this for real? Could anyone confirm this? I really hope it's not - I am not a big fan for McG. I want to know - how the heck he got this job after Charlie's Angel 2? Didn't any WB executives watch that crap?

I watched CA2 few days ago, and it sucked! I have never seen a movie that used so much slo-mo effects. It seems like every minute - he decided to used slo-mo to make his action more dramatic than it should be. It was a pathetic attempt to make CA2 better than it should be. IMO

Why can't WB find a better director? They found a good one w/Batman, Christopher Nolan. Note to WB - It's taken you this long to greenlight this project. Find a new director -- I've been following this since Nicolas Cage that signed to play Superman.

-bruce

2. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

IMDB isn't entirely reliable on pre-production pages--a lot of times they'll end up using what rumor sites have up at the time.

the chain of events, as I remember it, went like this:

Kevin Smith hired by Jon Peters, producer, to write screenplay. Peters requires that Superman DIES and is resurrected, that he NOT fly, NOT wear the suit, and that a giant spider be introduced into the climax.

Smith screenplay lured in Tim Burton
    Burton hired.
    Smith screenplay junked.
    Pre-production started. Nicolas Cage cast as Superman.
    Tim Burton and Nic Cage junked. back to Square 1.
    JJ Abrahams (Alias TV show) Hired. Screenplay written
    WB goes after Michael Bay. Bay turns it down.
    McG hired. pre-production started.
    Screenplay leaked. internet outcry hits fever pitch.
    McG leaves project. Screenplay re-worked--trilogy idea introduced. Details of which include: Krypton does not blow up, Superman returns to Krypton in 2nd picture, Lex Luthor is kryptonian, the suit enables Superman to fly, so on and so on.
    Brett Ratner steps onto project. Screenplay rewritten after leaking. JJ Abrahams still onboard at this point.
    Casting comes down to Matthew Bomer, soap unknown, and Brendan Fraser.
    WB wants Fraser. Ratner wants Bomer.
    Ratner steps down.
    WB goes after Michael Bay again. Turned down. Goes after McG again. turns down.

Somewhere in there the "World's Finest" project, Batman Vs Superman, was greenlit and was started with Wolfgang Petersen directing from an Andrew Kevin Walker screenplay, but that folded when Petersen went to the "Troy" film, I believe. I think.

So right now it's in limbo. I know preproduction has started on sets and such, and I even believe Peters is off the project as producer, but no one really knows anything further. Word is Fraser was finally cast as Superman, but as far as director, producer, screenwriter--no one's heard much.

I believe Warner Bros, without shooting a single frame of film, has spent upwards of 40 or 50 million on this film already.

Now if they'd throw that money at Donner and the Salkinds to just re-edit and re-release Superman II to the way it should be, I think people would be happier, but that's just me.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I'm sure they've spent more than 40-50 million as Nicolas Cage had a pay or play deal. which means they pay even if he doesn't play the role. And at that time his price tag was pretty hefty.

Superman is a monumental mess that will eventually be sorted out, much like "Spiderman" was, but expcet a few ore changes before it does.

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I know, that's why I said "upwards" because both Burton AND Cage were pay or play, and Cage was still a 20 million dollar man at that point. Burton had a hefty fee himself, (I wanna say around 10 million, but that might be wrong) and set designs and such were underway, so all those people were paid, as well as Kevin Smith, and whoever Burton had brought on, as well as whatever fees Abrahams was paid for his drafts.

40-50 million MINIMUM is what I meant. they're upwards of that easily, without having actually shot a single frame of footage.

at this point I'm hoping they simply wait until the end of either this year or next, whenever Smallville finishes, and just take Supes and Lex from that cast and go from there. It's just way simpler that way.

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

Giant Spider. I remember that. And Will Smith passed on Matrix for Wild Wild West, which featured that Giant Spider. Too funny

6. Ric Bagoly

Ric Bagoly Producer

Why can WB just acknowledge that Chris Reeve was the DEFINITIVE Superman and that Donner's 1978 classic is the DEFINITIVE film version of the character and leave it at that?? I would rather see Superman 2 redone properly than to see ANY of the names already mentioned working on a new one.

WB=$$$ [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

This book as a pretty in depth chapter on the troubled Superman production (Right now its looking like a Superflop). The whole book is a great read, highly recommended.

Kyle[​IMG]

8. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

And isn't it amazing how long it took WB to fire Peters from this movie as producer when they only thing he seemed to produce for 10 years was massive debt.

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

This whole thing should be a documentary on how to absolutely ruin a series. Didn't the matrix trivialize superman though? I mean all he's got is his flying, and they did enough of that in the matrix to make everyone yawn at any new superman. I for one will not be all that excited to see a guy melt stuff with eyes and fly around.

10. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

11. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, the saving hope so far is that they haven't gone forward with any of the bad ideas that they've come up with so far. It is possible that they are working on it until it is right.

Also, I'm not going to be completely down on McG, just from the standpoint that we haven't seen what he can do outside of the Charlie's Angels films. Course, that is also what makes people nervous that there isn't much more to him than that. That's why I kinda wish McG would do something else first to help me gain my confidence in him doing a project like this.

Jason

12. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

13. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The WB is making a big mistake in keeping McG on as director and keeping the lame-o JJ Abrams script. If the studio execs had any brains (which they don't), they'd realize that Smallville just keeps getting bigger and better in the TV ratings game because Al Gough and Miles Millar know what they're doing in retelling the Superman legend. Besides, with the now-classic episode "Rosetta", we basically saw the passing of the torch from Christopher Reeve to Tom Welling, and Welling is now about the same age (26 or 27) as Reeve was when the first Superman film came out. It would be a better opportunity for the WB to end the McG effort and allow Gough and Millar to finish the series, then allow the cast to graduate to the movies, a la Star Trek: TNG.

Then again, about 6-7 years ago I thought the same thing when Lois and Clark was on TV, that they should have graduated to the movies as well, and once the main characters got married, the series started going downhill.

With this being the 25th anniversary of the original film's release, I for one wouldn't mind seeing a wide theatrical re-release of the first film, even though it's on DVD. Then they could allow Donner to restore the rest of Superman II that he shot and issue that footage on a SE DVD.

Anything but the crap that's currently in development.