What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
My DT never seems to carry any discs.
It seems about once a month. They are the "Feature of the Week." Once their gone...their gone ... which depending on the store, can be 1-2 days or about a week. What doesn't sell, goes on the shelf under the phone accessories in the "electronics" department.

They sometimes come in relation to a "holiday" (e.g. Father's Day) but there were some last month ... AFIAK they haven't had any this month but it looks may they may be focused on changing the basic layout of the store (somewhat) ...

A few months ago, I saw some WB movies (mostly DVDs, but some blu-rays) for $3 at um "99 Cents Only" (the name means nothing now) on the check stands sitting in a cardboard box. There have been some DVDs in the "Electronics" section- but they tend to be higher than $1...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
mine had the Marylin movies too. Forgot to mention that. Almost some like it hot but wasn't sure if there was a big set of her stuff that might be better.

mine had Dexter seasons blu ray for 2.50 each red tag. about 4 seasons I think. but was wondering if it's better to just get the full thing.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had Trek In to Darkness 3D and Beyond 3D last time I went. Plus various Trek movies. For the older ones I think the complete 10 movie set is best.

Their labors day sales is today. the sign says dvds buy one get one at 50% off. the lady didn't know if DVds included blu rays. I had a stack but she said they could not put them behind the counter for me. she said even the people who work can't do that. She was nice and told me to just hide my stack behind the coffee makers or something, but said I didn't hear that from her. lol will be going soon to grab my stuff i hope its still that, that was 4 days ago.

oh, on their web page... yum!

083019-inlinepromo-kraft-R1.png

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Just got back. My stuff was still there! lol got a huge stack. and my free mac & cheese!

I was in the goodwill store too and they had a $5 (rounded off) crazy tux jacket, brand new (with that smell though), shiny with sparkles, built in yellow flower, just hilarious like Mr. Duane Newtonson (no not the other guy lol). I bought Zoolander at BL with the steel box and free scarf inside!! So for $10 my stand up comedy act is taking shape! 1 just need to get a crazy wig and the jokes will write themselves.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Mine had Trek In to Darkness 3D and Beyond 3D last time I went. Plus various Trek movies. For the older ones I think the complete 10 movie set is best.

Their labors day sales is today. the sign says dvds buy one get one at 50% off. the lady didn't know if DVds included blu rays. I had a stack but she said they could not put them behind the counter for me. she said even the people who work can't do that. She was nice and told me to just hide my stack behind the coffee makers or something, but said I didn't hear that from her. lol will be going soon to grab my stuff i hope its still that, that was 4 days ago.

oh, on their web page... yum!

083019-inlinepromo-kraft-R1.png
I used to hide stuff there all the time and switched up hiding spots just in case. Back when their BF sales were *really* good I knew one of the stockers well enough that a couple of days before the sale she'd take me into the store room to let me look through the boxes and pull out what I wanted. I'd then hide it, returning during the sale to pick it up.

I'd hide stuff now but they rarely have anything I'm interested in these days.

The store here had tons of South Park seasons, at least 7 or 8, when I stopped in last Sunday. Those were $5 each. If I were a fan I'd have stocked up! I didn't find a copy of the Star Trek Compendium but, like you, did find separate releases for quite a few. I already own a copy of the complete movie set (both TOS and TNG) so those were of no interest. I was interested in the Compendium simply to reduce shelf space as I already own those 3 in separate releases. I picked up a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird on BR as I've never seen that one before. I paired it with a BR of Fort Apache (I have a quite acceptable DVD but like the movie so why not?) to take advantage of the sale.

Kraft Mac & Cheese - blech! I've never liked that stuff although my kids and grandkids do. Mom always made it from scratch and so do I. When my wife took over cooking duties and started making "quick" mac 'n cheese (cook noodles, throw in some Velveeta, call it "done") I finally asked her to stop doing that and make "the real thing." So she now does - most of the time. Fresh grated cheeses (usually extra sharp cheddar, American, and Gouda) stirred in a bechamel sauce, mixed with cooked and drained noodles, and baked until there's a slight crust on top. Yum!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Krafft used to make a deluxe dinner that was a perfect base for making a baked. Kraft deserves lots of hate mail for stopping that.

Walmart has had south park multi sets for pretty cheap. Im not a huge fan but I wouldn't mind starting it from the beginning.

I got the blu ray for To Kill for $5 at big lots earlier this year. It had cape fear too! I think they only ever had 1 or 2.

will look for Fort Apache I have that same DVD. sure hope they have it.

oh, zoolander comes with a headband not scarf. oh well. headband and cheesy wig might work better.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They had a Steel Book of Zoolander here. I'm not much of a Ben Stiller fan (and it also has Will Ferrell - an actor I truly dislike) so moved on...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My Zoo steel had a darn dent. grrrr...

Just made that mac and cheese. I required 4 tbsp of butter! I buy expensive butter and $8 a gal milk (animal friendly stuff) so that cheap free mac and cheese got expensive!! lol and I recommend a dab of mustard in the mac and cheese. just a little.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I have basically stopped going to Big Lots! for blu-rays and DVDS especially when last Friday I bought 46 discs/(items) at Dollar Tree for $1 a piece - was going to post here but they seem to go fast - this time it was mostly RHJ items with a few universal (eg Holiday Inn) Fox (Ramona and Beezus blu with mention of MoviesAnywhere on the back) & Sony titles ...

Thought the prices for Blu's @ Dollar Tree are incredible....overall - I am unimpressed with the selection there. I got several Blu's & DVD's earlier this year, but when I've gone there since then - I haven't found anything I wanted.

Conversely, BL - while having higher prices - have a much better selection of Blu's/DVD's I'm interested in.

Just my .02.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw a few discs in my DT last night. This location seldom seems to have discs. Not sure how many they had to begin with, but only about a dozen were left. Nothing of interest except for one that I already had.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw a few new things at BL last night, including the 70th Anniversary edition of Double Indemnity on blu-ray for $5 (currently $25 at Amazon), the 3-disc blu-ray of Star Trek (2009) for $5 (currently $25 at Amazon), double-pack of The Terminator (1984) and Terminator: Genisys on blu for $5, and a couple more PBS releases (I bought one, but cannot even recall the title at the moment...something related to the Civil War).

And I caved to peer pressure and purchased the 3D Spongebob movie for $5. :D

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently got the 2001 Planet of the Apes Blu @ BL for $5; also picked up the Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009) Blu for $3.

Both are great films. Though the 2001 POTA movie is considered the "red-headed step-child" of the POTA movies because it came "in between" the original films & the fantastic newer trilogy (which I found superior to the originals), this stand-alone movie is well-done & worth seeing. I felt the story was solid & the Ape make-up/prosthetics (by the legendary Rick Baker) were incredible. I also liked the fact that the ending of the film was very similar to the ending of the original POTA novel (Pierre Boulle, 1963).

And, BL: Port of Call New Orleans is another excellent film. I like the post-Katrina NO setting, and Nic Cage & the supporting cast (including a cameo by Fairuza Balk) are all fantastic. I think it was as good idea to not connect this to the earlier 1992 film, starring Harvey Keitel. Though the original is obviously more iconic, I prefer this newer movie.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I've picked up some pretty decent picks in recent weeks since Black Friday.

Star Trek III: Search For Spock
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
World War Z
Bulletproof Monk
November Man

Just wish that Big Lots would get something new in. It's been forever since they refreshed and reset their Blu-rays.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
It's been a good week @ BL. Amazed that I was able to find the Planet of the Apes Legacy Collection (all five original movies) Blu set for $5. What an amazing price for this set - each film is only $1 each in HD. Wow.

Also got the underrated 2011 thriller Limitless on Blu for $5.

Also finally got Alphas S01 for $5 (DVD only). Great show. Too bad it lasted only 2 seasons.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
My son picked up CARRIE ('13) that I didn't have in my collection. I'll stop by this week to look for myself.

Thanks Malcolm for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks