What's new

Big Lots Sale (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Checked my store last night. Saw the Lock, Stock... steelbook, but didn't see much else new. Though that didn't stop me from buying 8 discs anyway. :P

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Thanks for the updates. There is no BL that close to me anymore, but when I'm in another part of town I like to go to the one there. The store has the best prices for Blu's/DVD's, hands-down. I can't think of another retail store where you can regularly find new Blu's/DVD's between $3-7. Excellent. The problem is that you never know what you're going to find, but that's part of the fun of looking.

I still regret not getting Casablanca on Blu for $5 there, when I saw it about 4-5 years ago....

I also like shopping @ BL for things other than DVD's/Blu's because the prices are great. My local one put in refrigerators some time ago, so they do have some limited frozen (and other) foods, milk, etc.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Thanks for the updates. There is no BL that close to me, but when I'm in another part of town I like to go to the one there. The store has the best prices for Blu's/DVD's, hands-down. I can't think of another retail store where you can regularly find new Blu's/DVD's between $3-7. Excellent. The problem is that you never know what you're going to find, but that's part of the fun of looking.

I still regret not getting Casablanca on Blu for $5 there, when I saw it about 4-5 years ago....
Dollar Tree sometimes has DVDs an blu-rays for $1.00 but they are usually gone within a week of them putting them out on display ...

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Yeah... I just don't understand how the K-Mart here stays in business. Horrible prices, dirty store, cluttered, rarely has enough stock to last the first day of a "sale' (if they got the item at all), and more. I've gone in once or twice in the past couple of years and both trips were fruitless.

The K-Mart in my town closed up for good about 2 years ago. Never liked going there. One time, the place looked ransacked, couldn't walk down any aisle without stepping on merchandise. Only once did they have a good DVD deal, picked up the Sony season 1 release of Starsky & Hutch for $5. BL is probably the most consistent in having cheap DVD/Blus.

Wow, reading about K-mart brings back memories. My local one closed in 2002, and at the time I thought they had gone out of business completely. I remember going there in the late '90's/early 200X's to go shopping, and they had good prices for food, etc. - but didn't have a great selection for much of anything else. I do also remember the store being very messy/cluttered.

One of my fondest K-mart memories (LOL) was going there over the summer & there being a grill which cooked hamburgers/hot dogs outside, near the front door - nice.

My local store closed before I got my first DVD player (in 2003) so can't relate to whether they had good choices/prices for DVD's.

Dollar Tree sometimes has DVDs an blu-rays for $1.00 but they are usually gone within a week of them putting them out on display ...

Good to know - Thanks.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
We still have one Kmart within reasonable driving distance, but it's not much fun shopping there. The media aisle is always a jumble with no deals really to be found. Was there just before Christmas and it was kind of depressing. Not many customers and few staff, making much of the store seem empty and abandoned.

Honestly, for a couple years now I've been hoping they would close and possibly make way for Target. It's a large store in a prime shopping area and no Target in the region (closest two Targets are about 60 miles away). Target would just need some minor interior remodeling and they could move right in.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There's only one here with the next closest store ~70 miles away. But they usually have a good selection and get most of what gets talked about in this thread. I miss the "glory days" when I'd go in several times a week just to look and rarely left empty handed. Now I go in about once a week and rarely have media in the purchases.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One of the last Kmart visits from me was in the same town of my first radio job, about 40 minutes away from where I am right now. I remember getting tapes of Fantastic Planet and Inspector General. both were LPs but I still watched them a lot until I upgraded. That was around 1990. Still have both.

yeah, BL has such a great selection of 3Ds. So exciting to get the Dreamsworks I didn't have. I hope they get more.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ next time you go back. lol

I forgot to mention my store had Krampus blurays. outstanding horror movie. I watched my used copy about 3 times but I plan to get a backup just in case. I paid $13 used. :D

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I picked up Krampus a from BB a couple of BF sales back - paid $5. I still haven't made time for it. My 7yo granddaughter practically begs me to watch it as she's fascinated at a Christmas themed horror movie. Thing is, I need to test her with some of the Universal Horror movies and then watch it myself before I throw her under the bus... :)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I remember one of my worst purchases at Kmart... It was a copy of Surf Punks "My Beach" on cassette tape... :)...

Big Lots does have some great stuff occasionally. I've picked up quite a few good discs there over the years. One of my favorites was the DVD of He Knows You're Alone. I also picked up every James Bond film on DVD up to Goldeneye. It was a mixed bag, some were the early DVD releases of the films and others were the special editions. The Moonraker one was non-anamorphic and had horrible sound. But it was still cool getting the Bond films for around $3 a piece.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
...I also got The Dragon Nest for $3 that has a 3D version on it they don't brag about too much. Wandering if it will play worse than Spykids or Clash of the Titans in 3D....
QUICK REVIEW: Put on Dragon Nest Warrior Dawn for a peak to see how bad the 3D was and watched the whole thing. Very fun video game movie that looks like good anime. The 3D was okay, but not great. Clash of the Titans fears gone, not bottom of the barrel at all. A few scenes look like the 3d is reversed with backend parts in front end and visaversa. Other scenes looked very good, but mostly it's just okay. Rush job but not too bad for a rush job. The character designs were excellent, loved the spiky dark dragon with purple highlights that looks like he want's to kick Godzilla's ass, and the dude with orange eyes and the golden dragon that looks mythologicals. The girl elves had oddly wide hips like they've had too many baby elfers. The final part has some terrific action. I think kids would would love this and people like me who just want a fun 3D fantasy movie for $3. will make you want to play a game or 2 after if that's your thing. just wanted people to know it wasn't terrible. Will watch in 3D in the future as well.

Dragon-Nest-Warriors-Dawn-600x445.jpg

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Read on another forum people have found ET 4K in BL for a fiver! woah!

Had anyone seen this? My store had these, the trailer looks cool...

Werewolf: The Beast Among Us

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I picked it up at the time it was released. It's not great, but it's probably worth a viewing at Big Lots prices if you like horror films. It's a direct-to-video film from Universal, so it's a step above the usual low-budget horror video releases.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I'm sure this is old news to most, but I recently found one copy of the '87 Robocop on Blu @ Big Lots for $3. They've had plenty of copies of the 2014 Robocop re-boot for a couple of years (which I also really enjoyed), but this is the first time I saw the '87 film there. In any case, excellent deal for a fantastic film on Blu - if you can find it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Read on another forum people have found ET 4K in BL for a fiver! woah!

I purchased it on DVD several years back. It's worth a viewing if you like horror and werewolf movies. It's not bad and I recall liking it a bit better than the Universal attempt at relaunching the Wolf Man franchise in 2010.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks