1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Lots Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jon Martin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    My store has had an old version of EA's FIFA soccer game forever. I think it's been there at $6 for 6 years! lol Also, some kind of oversized box with a Tiger Woods game of some sort. The customers know more I thing!

2. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    I won't be going anywhere near BL until at least September, unless I need something over that way. It's going to be way too hot to go, we just started hitting the high 90s and soon it'll be in the 100s.

I pretty much stopped looking at the cheap movies on DVDs, just briefly scan them, since they started carrying blus. Of those, I've only bought the $5 ones.

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Does your BL not have air conditioning or something? :)

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Sometimes it's just too hot to get out!

[​IMG]

BobO'Link and Oliver Ravencrest like this.
  5. Oliver Ravencrest

Ron
    Big Lots does but outside doesn't :)

Radioman970 likes this.
  6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I'm dead... I'm DEAD...I'm finished... lol

I remember fews years back going into our Beall's store and they had all the doors open with large fan all around but it didn't work. You would fry an egg on their discount price frying pans right there on the shelf! Hooot! You have to feel bad for the workers who had to stand in that for hours risking heat strokes.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    The AC at the Kmart nearest me has been broken for years. Definitely don't want to go there on a hot summer day (if you need another reason NOT to go to Kmart in the first place).

Radioman970 likes this.
  8. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    :rolling-smiley:

9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yeah... I just don't understand how the K-Mart here stays in business. Horrible prices, dirty store, cluttered, rarely has enough stock to last the first day of a "sale' (if they got the item at all), and more. I've gone in once or twice in the past couple of years and both trips were fruitless.

The BL *here* is great. It's in a old WM building that really needs new floor covering and ceiling tiles but it's cleaner and less junky than K-Mart plus they actually get the stuff shown in the ads, with the exception of "new" DVD/BR stock which seems to be late arriving. But that could be due to them *still* having 8 waterfall displays mostly full of older stuff. It's hard to tell when new stuff comes in as they just put in in amongst the older stock. I really miss my old, long gone, connections who *always* kept a eye out for new stock and alerted me when I walked into the store.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Rumors are that Kmart may not be around too much longer. Their sales figures keep falling sharply. About the only reason to go to my local store is if you're nostalgic for what a discount store in the 1970's looked like. I think the sign on the front of the building is still the older logo, too.

Our local BL is nice. It's larger than any other BL I've been to and it's in a space that was freshly-renovated just a few years ago for a supermarket that was only in business for about six months. BL opened a few months after they closed. The staff keep it nice and clean, too.

11. Oliver Ravencrest

Ron
    The K-Mart in my town closed up for good about 2 years ago. Never liked going there. One time, the place looked ransacked, couldn't walk down any aisle without stepping on merchandise. Only once did they have a good DVD deal, picked up the Sony season 1 release of Starsky & Hutch for $5. BL is probably the most consistent in having cheap DVD/Blus.

Mike Boone likes this.
  12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Not sure what the management at BL has been sniffing, but the new flyer shows some TV on DVD sets for $20 each. These appear to be some of the same sets which have recently been on sale at Amazon and some other B&M retailers for $10.

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^They *are* the same sets that've been sold for ~$10 by other vendors recently. Along with the recent $14 Heroes and The Simpsons seasons these are making BL look like other clueless vendors. If they were disappointed with sales on some of the prior offerings of limited appeal titles wait until they're still looking at these in 9 months. It's gotten so bad that I've pretty much stopped looking at the DVD/BR titles when I go in. It's sad as there was a time when I would stop in *solely* to look at what might be new. The long-time employees (one is the store manager) have even commented that I don't come in as often as I once did and I make a point to tell them why. The manager is a great guy - we frequently have discussions about the BL/customer relationship and what I think about their current trends. It's refreshing to have a store manager who actually cares about the customers, seeks out opinions, listens to their likes/dislikes, and wants to make things as good as he can them while keeping the store in the black.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I've been kind of disappointed with overall pricing at BL lately. They completely did away with their discount on greeting cards (used to be 25 to 30% off), so I now go to Dollar Tree to buy those. A couple days ago I was looking for paper plates. They had a pack of 75 "Dixie" type plates for $5. I can buy a package of 110 at Walmart for less than $4.

Not sure what the problem is, but it seems like they're really raising their prices.

15. Mike Boone

Mike Boone Supporting Actor

Michael
    Yes, I hear you, and the surviving K-Marts are certainly not likely to satisfy the wants of a HTF member. Two evenings ago my wife wanted to buy some baby clothes as a little gift for her niece and newborn baby, when we were on our way to visit them at the hospital. K-Mart seemed handy as it was in the same city of Barberton, Ohio, where that hospital is located. Barberton, where we used to live, is a city of 27,000 people, and has a pretty good sized K-Mart.

Anyhow, while my wife was in the baby section, I wandered over to the electronics department. It turned out that it had a DVD selection of a couple hundred titles or so, from new releases, to a section of older movies that were all lined up neatly in rows, with the DVD boxes all packed closely together, while standing on their long edges. As for Blu-ray, the store had a grand total of 14 titles in that format. Guess I won't be returning to K-Mart anytime soon, for the purpose of movie shopping.

On the other hand, Big Lots is five small stores down from K-Mart in that plaza. And last year I picked up the Blu-ray of The Kids Are All Right, not only because it features one of my favorite actresses, Julianne Moore, but because Big Lots had it for the terrific price of just $5. Sometimes ya just gotta love that Big Lots.

Oliver Ravencrest likes this.
  16. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Friends & Family weekend coming up. 20% off storewide on Saturday with the Rewards card; on Sunday with the printed coupon.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    FIFA '07. :D

18. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Sounds like how my Wal-Mart is still fully stocked with PSP Go's for $160-180 or thereabouts. :)

19. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The store here actually had some "new" titles but nothing "different." All the new titles are restock of stuff they've had before with formerly $3 titles now at $5. I've not purchased a DVD at BL in months...

20. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    My store had a decent selection of blu-rays. I picked up the following for $4 each:

The X-Files 2

Anaconda

Air Force One

La Femme Nikita

This Means War

Dodgeball