1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Big Lots Sale

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Jon Martin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. David Norman

David Norman Producer

3/1 there is supposed to be a 20% off sale.
    I think Rewards/Buzz Card or whatever they call it will be allowed on Saturday as well.

2. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Are those Superfriends classic series? Like 60s, 70s and 80s?

3. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    Yes, the show ran from 73-86. The best incarnation is the Challenge of the Super Friends, where each episode they faced off against the Legion of Doom! What the series lacked in character development, it made up for with adventure. It's too bad that when WHV started releasing the show on DVD, they did,'t start from the beginning and go in order but jumped around.

Radioman970 likes this.
  4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    thanks! I'll run by there soon. My store is usually kind of slow.

I think I have Superfriends vol 2 but no others.

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    For SuperFriends fans, there's a good episode of Teen Titans Go! where the Wonder Twins join the Titans.

6. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    There was nothing new here. I went with my wife and we wound up getting a new lamp, some storage containers for her cake decorating stuff, and a few grocery items.

I've read that some stores have the $8 TVonDVD sets marked down to $4 each (brown price tags only). There were no signs here but I'd already purchased any of those I'd wanted anyway.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Stopped at a different BL store yesterday. They had a whole bunch of TV sets, though mostly what we've already seen before: Chuck, Two and a Half Men, The Office, Friday Night Lights, 2 Broke Girls, House MD. They also had some sets of House MD on blu-ray. I think they were the same price as the DVD sets.

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Are any of you on the East Coast? I've heard the 20% off sale had pretty poor response there and was repeated Yesterday (and possibly Friday and/or Today) for those states. You'd have possibly received a email if it were.

It was not repeated here, or I didn't receive the email, but I'm in the Mid-South and the store here did lots of business. There were so many people in the store when it started that it looked like they were having a BF sale.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I did receive an email that it was being repeated on March 6-7 due to bad weather the prior weekend.

10. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    All About Eve. Book edition blu ray. $5

Porky's blu. $5. there's that 3 movies sets with a few other raunchie at amazon. Better choice maybe. I couldn't imagine anyone who would buy Porkys without those unless they already had those. :P

There were a few other things but I shot in there for a bigazz can of cashews! (lightly salty!!!) And had to leave quickly for 3 other stops.

11. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    I was at Big Lots today and they had some new $5 Blus, I picked up This Is The End. I saw Die Hard, The One, Air Force One, Anaconda,The Wrestler and Fauxzilla... I mean Godzilla :D . Most of those $8 TV series sets were gone but they did have the Simpsons seasons 10, 11, 12 (non-head packaging) and 20 for $14. The Target next door had season 20 for $13.49.

12. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    I went in recently and tried to look at the blu rays. But a worker was over at the movies trying sell me one. lol Another worker started talking too and we discussed flicks and the big fight that was coming up that weekend, Mayweather etc. Nice guys. But I left with no movies, just my lightly salted cashews.

13. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've *almost* stopped checking here as there have been no "new" titles in weeks... That's in spite of ads promising new titles. I know it makes my wife happy 'cause I don't bring any movies home but it has me longing for those times when there were new titles almost every week.

14. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    They had more All about Even book and I noticed Rocky book. I plan to get the Rocky box set to replace all my dvds one day.

Mine had Heroes 1 2 3 and many seasons of Simpsons. i'm still on s2 and have up to 11 at home so I passed for now.

15. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I ran by after Church Sunday to find *new* titles! It's quite possible a few have been there some time - at least based on the receipt. I picked up:

$5

A Man Called Flintstone - They've had this one for months and I finally caved and picked up a copy.

$3

The Roaring Twenties - James Cagney, Priscilla Lane, Humphrey Bogart and more. Looks interesting and I typically enjoy noir films.

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus - A Terry Gilliam film (I tend to like his work) and Heath Ledger's final film. In reading about this one I learned Gilliam used some quick thinking to complete the film without Ledger (who died before effects and blue screen work began).

The Dark Crystal: 25th Anniversary Edition - I'm not much of a fan of this one (I've never cared much for "puppet" films, even as a kid) but it has a *very* cool looking lenticular slip case. It's worth $3 just for that.

There were a few other movies but nothing that really stood out.

There were also a few new TVonDVD titles at $8/season. The ones I remember are:

Two Broke Girls - S1

Vampire Diaries - S2 and S3

King of Queens - S2, S3, S4

16. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Imaginarium is a real love-it-or-hate-it film. I *love* it. :) If you're a Gilliam fan then you probably will, too.

17. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Gilliam is one of my top 2 so i'm complete biased!!! lol I think it and Tideland brought him back for me after the disappointing Brothers Grimm. I like BG, but expected him to really nail it like he wanted to for Harry Potter but didn't get the chance. Anyway, Imaginarium is beautiful to watch and worth it for the reason Bob mentions,a piece of movie history.

18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    With Memorial Day and a "new" batch of discs (at least according to the ad) I took a chance and swung by yesterday. While they *did* have a few things it was nothing to shout about.

$14 (!?!?) TVonDVD:

Heroes - various seasons but not all

The Simpsons - about 4-5 later seasons

Since both of these are typically on sale somewhere for $10 or less I consider this price point a major fail from BL. I suspect they'll be there for quite a while.

$8 TVonDVD:

American Dad - Volumes 3-6 and 8.

The King of Queens - S1, S2, S3
    The Vampire Diaries S2, S3

I'll wait on American Dad too since it's a Fox title and goes on sale for $6/volume every 6 months or so from foxconnect.com. I already own The King of Queens and have never heard of The Vampire Diaries. Looking it up shows it to be another in the recent trend of Twilight inspired vampire soap type stuff based on novels. I read the novel this is based on predates the Twilight series - still without the major success of Twilight would this have seen the light of day? [pun intended]

Other than those there was nothing else new to this store. :(

Here are some titles being reported at other stores:

$3 DVD

Batman Year One
    Duck Dodgers -
    S1
    Whistleblower
    Henry's Crime
    Grand Prix
    Fragments
    7 Seconds
    In The Name Of The King 2

$5 DVD

Challenge of the Superfriends - S1

If they ever turn up here I'll pick up Batman: Year One, Duck Dodgers, and Challenge of the Superfriends.

Happy hunting!

Radioman970 likes this.
  19. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Great point about foxconnect.

20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    The store here put a *small* group of DVDs on sale with varying percentage points depending on label color. Percentages are from 20%-90% with those very early TVonDVD seasons (with the "brown" price label) going for 20% off. The higher percentages are for titles that've been languishing for months and months... I didn't find anything here worth mentioning or purchasing. Surprisingly those earlier TV seasons are mostly gone, and were gone before this sale started, even after seemingly sitting unsold for months.

What they *need* to do is mark down those newer $14 TVonDVD titles to $8 or less. They'll never sell at $14 - at least the ones here haven't... yet...

Whoever is in charge of the DVD/BR purchasing/pricing at BL really needs to be educated on just *what* will move and, more importantly, the price points at which people are willing to make purchases. After *years* of $3 or less for DVDs I just don't see those ~$5 and higher DVD titles moving many copies. Even $5 for overstock BR titles seems a bit high to me.