What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The Muppets was absolutely amazing. Tears of joy were flying out of my eyes. I see myself watching it a lot. $10 is a steal.

I wish I could go with Sorcerer's Apprentice, since I love stuff like that. But every line the apprentice actor says something in the trailer just annoys the hell of me. He looks like ruins a pretty good looking film. :( Hate to judge unseen... I guess if it was $3 instead of $10 I'd take a chance. :)

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I have Sorcerer's Apprentice on DVD, fun movie! Maybe I'll pick up Muppets next time I go. When I was there today, I noticed sets that weren't there before like the Office, House and Spongebob Squarepants season 4 vol. 2. Still didn't see Volunteers there but did find it on Youtube will try to watch it tonight.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Dropped by...picked up

B&B Do America. $3

He's Your Dog Charlie Brown (1968) $5

Black Swan blu $5

Other DVDs I saw

Dominion the Prequel to Exorcist

Number 23

A Man Called Flintstone (1966). Wondering if I need to go back and get one of these

Hey there it's Yogi Bear (same as Flintstone)

Team Snoopy

Planes Trains and Autos. (has a blu ray)

Oh! Plus...

Pepe Le Pew

Road runner

Bugs Bunny

Tweedy

I noticed they have triple packs of some of these on amazon... huuummm....

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I went there today and picked up 127 Hours on Blu for $5. The only other new stuff I saw was the Tooth Fairy and Wall Street 2 both on blu. Didn't see He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown, I'd buy that if it's there next time. Held off on the Muppets, maybe next time.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't realize that 'He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown', probably my favorite Peanuts tv special after the original Christmas and Halloween episodes, even had a standalone release. Wonder how that one slipped past TVShowsOnDVD, since they usually cover the Peanuts.

I thought it was still exclusive to the 1960's collection.

Edit: Apparently it didn't, it just slipped by me.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Race is in stores for $10, but didn't want to spend that much and didn't realize I already had He's Your Dog on the 60s set until Leo mentioned it. Been a long time I watched those.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
Dropped by...picked up

B&B Do America. $3

He's Your Dog Charlie Brown (1968) $5

Black Swan blu $5

Other DVDs I saw

Dominion the Prequel to Exorcist

Number 23

A Man Called Flintstone (1966). Wondering if I need to go back and get one of these

Hey there it's Yogi Bear (same as Flintstone)

Team Snoopy

Planes Trains and Autos. (has a blu ray)

Oh! Plus...

Pepe Le Pew

Road runner

Bugs Bunny

Tweedy

I noticed they have triple packs of some of these on amazon... huuummm....
Hmmm.... there was nothing "new" here a couple of weeks ago. I might need to go look again.

The Man Called Flintstone is a possible purchase if it's $3. I recall liking it when it originally came out (although I never cared much for S4 & S5 of the weekly show).

Hey There, it's Yogi Bear falls into similar territory. For $3 I'll probably get a copy but it's tough as a adult to make it through that one as it really feels padded at times.

It's "Tweety"... ;) But I want to know where's the "Sylvester & Hippety Hopper" one? It's the only one I need and I just can't bring myself to pay what Amazon is asking!

**EDIT**

The Man Called Flintstone is $5 here. I left it on the shelf as I don't know if I like it enough at that price especially with a slashed UPC. I didn't see a Yogi title.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't think the trailer for Flintstone had one yabba dabba doooooo in it. :( I like the episodes that are similar to it however, like the one when Fred and Barney get wrapped up in some kind of mysterious spy caper. I think i'll like it, but I agree $3 is more like it. I'll wait. Just worry about the OOP.

I think I'll return for Dominion. Yogi and Pepe maybe, for $3 is better better for those too.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Mine has a lot of Yogi, a few of A Man Called Flintstone, and the Looney Tunes releases. Didn't see He's Your Dog Charlie Brown, but they had other Peanuts releases.

Got the Flintstone DVD and Meet John Doe, which was $3.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I read on another forum that people are finding some of the Superfriends titles for $3 each. I have no idea just which ones (and looking them up at Amazon shows there seem to be quite a few) but it might be something to be on the lookout for.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I only need Superfriends: A Dangerous Fate, the complete season 5 to finish off the series. It's be interesting to see which, if any, titles BL has....

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I picked up Dominion, and amazed the checker lady at BL with my knowledge of those films! :D Most people don't even know the history of those.

My Bilo store had what I've seen in Dollar General. Treasure Hunt! Value DVD! Sounds nice... good stack of used DVD movies in horrible cardboard envelopes. Some of mine had the glue on them that wouldn't come off for me. I know there's stuff that can remove glues, but this was really on there like superglues. Anyway, $1.99 down from $2.99.

What I got:

Super 8. Had glue at the edge, I got off enough so it wouldn't hurt my player. It ran perfect.

Kung Fun Hustle. Really fun! Ran fine.

Tron Legacy.

True Grit. 2010 Had glue, haven't tried yet. Returned twice, the first return didn't have glue but had marks. they were good about swapping out

Prince of Persia Sands of time. - this stopped about 7 times while watching, so return. Sure if good though...

Man of the Year.

Citizen Kane.

Others I saw.

the 3rd newer Mummy film. emporerer something or other.

the Day the Earth stood still. A double sided...

Home for the Holidays. Good Christmas movie.

Christmas with the Kranks

can't remember anymore... used stuff can be a pain. But I thought the Disneys were very nice for the money. If I like Tron I'll pick up that big 3D set with both films. I already have the original from the old DVD.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I picked up Dominion, and amazed the checker lady at BL with my knowledge of those films! :D Most people don't even know the history of those.

What I got:
Super 8. Had glue at the edge, I got off enough so it wouldn't hurt my player. It ran perfect...

can't remember anymore... used stuff can be a pain. But I thought the Disneys were very nice for the money. If I like Tron I'll pick up that big 3D set with both films. I already have the original from the old DVD.
Most people don't know the history of *many* films/series. It's just us crazy collectors who bother with/know that type of stuff. :D

I use a product called "De-Solv-It" to remove glue. It's similar to Goo-Gone but I think it works better and cleans up easier. I use it pretty regularly on DVDs to remove "gunk" - just be careful at the edges (although I've never had any issues there I'm still careful just in case). I've never had it damage a DVD and have used it with great vigor on the silk screen side to remove rental label residue. While it *will* remove ink from a printed page I've never had it damage the silk screened side of a disc. I always clean up with rubbing alcohol so as to not leave any solvent residue. Wal-Mart has it *sometimes* but it's a crap shoot. When I find it on the shelf there I stock up 'cause it'll be gone soon.

Yeah... used stuff can be a pain. I'd have passed on what you found solely due to the packaging, unless there was a highly desired OOP title.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think mom and dad had some of that! I always think of it wen I need it, but like you say it's not always easy to find. This glue is solid too. It's not soft at all. It would be interesting to see if it worked.

My Sony player seems to just stop the movie when it hits a bad spot but I can restart, use scene to get back and it usually plays right over where it stopped before.

Prince of Persia stopped about 7 times but I got through it and had a time. Feel underrated. I'll exchange it for another copy, but I'll get a blu of that one day. Put it alongside The Beastmaster and stuff like that. Great action that gets the good stuff from the games (I'd forgot all about the time stuff, that was neat), good story too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I think mom and dad had some of that! I always think of it wen I need it, but like you say it's not always easy to find. This glue is solid too. It's not soft at all. It would be interesting to see if it worked.

My Sony player seems to just stop the movie when it hits a bad spot but I can restart, use scene to get back and it usually plays right over where it stopped before.

Prince of Persia stopped about 7 times but I got through it and had a time. Feel underrated. I'll exchange it for another copy, but I'll get a blu of that one day. Put it alongside The Beastmaster and stuff like that. Great action that gets the good stuff from the games (I'd forgot all about the time stuff, that was neat), good story too.
I never spray it on directly but spray a bit on a folded tissue to apply in small sections. For more "solid" areas I get a bit more on the tissue, place it on the spot and let it sit for 30-60 seconds. I then use a small bit of pressure with a circular motion (shades of Frank Zappa!) to loosen what's there. I repeat that process for especially stubborn areas. It's also good for getting glue/paper/gunk off CD and DVD cases (I buy *lots* of used CDs which tend to have paper price labels and other stuff I don't even want to think about what might be on the cases). Just don't use it on any paper labels you want to keep as it *will* destroy them! For DVDs that have playback issues I'll clean the play surface with rubbing alcohol (on a folded tissue or a micro-fibre cloth). That's gotten rid of almost all gunk on a disk surface that's prevented playback. I've been surprised at how much gunk can be on a new disc which prevents proper playback.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thanks Bob. And I really need to listen to more Zappa. I have some Dr. Demento shows on LPs we used to run years back on a station I was at (glad I asked the manager for those!) They have some Zappa songs and they are a blast!

My I dream of jeannie final season had a few discs covered in something. when I tried to clean it it got cloudy and wouldn't play well. I'll try alchol on those. They were brand new unopened so i was mad. i'd planned to just pick up that newer cheapie set. I'm not the biggest fan of the last 2 seasons and it's taken me many years to get to it. But I think my overall mood had changed since I first tried to watch those.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
BobO'Link said:
I read on another forum that people are finding some of the Superfriends titles for $3 each. I have no idea just which ones (and looking them up at Amazon shows there seem to be quite a few) but it might be something to be on the lookout for.
I saw some of the Super Friends sets today, some were $3 and at least 1 was $5. Too bad I already have them. I saw:

Challenge of the Super Friends: the First Season

Super Friends: the Legendary Super Powers Show- complete series

The Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians

There was at least one other set but can't remember which one. Also saw Gatsby on DVD. Didn't buy anything this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks