What's new

Big Lots Sale (2 Viewers)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
BobO'Link said:
^I'd read about those on another forum. Here's the list of stuff others spotted:

976-EvilAccidental Husband, TheAdaptationAll The King's MenAngels and DemonsBreed, TheCharlie's Angels: Full ThrottleEasy VirtueFlatlinersGildaInformant, TheJane Austen Book Club, TheRachel Getting MarriedRobin and MarionSeventh Voyage of Sinbad, TheUltra-VioletVacancy 2: The First CutVampire EffectWhat to Expect When You're Expecting
The only one I don't already own I'd like to have is Robin and Marion. I just have to decide if it's worth making a trip to Fred's to look for one. Two of the 3 stores here are *way* out of the way and the closest one is a pain to get to and from due to high traffic on the surrounding streets.
I saw some different titles in Fred's yesterday for $1.99.

I picked up:
3 Worlds of Gulliver
John Boorman's The General.

Other (had nothing to write on and my memory sucks)
Ice Castles. The Robby Benson ice skating movie.
The Good German. George Clooney
This is It. the michael jackson film.

Those were all in OAR I believe. Good German was in standard...

And more...

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Disney blu's at Big Lots ($8 each) seemed to consist of:

Mars Needs Moms
The Jonas Brothers Movie
James & the Giant Peach
I Am Number Four
Prince of Persia
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Not sure if there were more earlier. I didn't get to the store until about 4PM yesterday.

Nothing too exciting, but I did buy a couple as I had a 20% off rewards club discount to use up which discounted them a little more.

They had a couple new displays of DVD's too, but I didn't really notice any new, notable titles. Most seemed to be just more restock of the same titles. There were a few Christmas titles too. Didn't find much of interest, but picked up Nativity! starring Martin Freeman (Sherlock, The Hobbit) out of curiosity.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw a few blus at my big lots for $5.

Going back to get Mist and An Empress and the Warriors. Really want Mist.

I didnt' note the rest but there are a few not listed here. Nothing exciting.

I didn't see any of the above.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was definitely hoping for more.

I decided to leave Empress behind. The reviews are not good.

I did carrying around Mist and Robin Hood (2010) while Christmas shopping for dad and some babies in the family. Left Robin Hood, finished up babies but Dad will have to wait. He's the hardest to buy for. Getting ready to watch Mist. I remember liking that film a lot. It has a color and black/white version of the film. I watched color years back... not sure if I want to do b/w. I assume they did b/w to give it an old monster movie feel. Sounds interesting. .. thought about getting another Mist for mom.

Changed my mind and watched Mist in b/w. Terrrific! I highly recommend it that way. The color transfer is grainier than I remember before. But the b/w looks just right. Heck of a monster movie!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Malcolm R said:
The Disney blu's at Big Lots ($8 each) seemed to consist of:

Mars Needs Moms
The Jonas Brothers Movie
James & the Giant Peach
I Am Number Four
Prince of Persia
The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Not sure if there were more earlier. I didn't get to the store until about 4PM yesterday.

Nothing too exciting, but I did buy a couple as I had a 20% off rewards club discount to use up which discounted them a little more.

They had a couple new displays of DVD's too, but I didn't really notice any new, notable titles. Most seemed to be just more restock of the same titles. There were a few Christmas titles too. Didn't find much of interest, but picked up Nativity! starring Martin Freeman (Sherlock, The Hobbit) out of curiosity.
My store had all of those! And G-Force.

Wasn't sure what to get besides James and A christmas Carol. I forgot to research the rest. :( But $8 isn't a show stopper. $5, I would have gotten Mars, Prince and Scorcer probably :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I also saw Jonas Brothers Movie 2, Santa Clause 3, and Beverly Hills Chihuahua 2 the last time I was in. I got an email today showing additional titles including the original Toy Story, so I'm not sure if they actually are getting a "second wave" of different titles, or if this is just restocking more of the same.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I got that email too! I forgot they showed Toy Story. Of course, I'm planning a 3D purchase on those to replace my old DVD set. I need to get those out and watch... also Chicken Run ... (I'm typing some inner monologue there, lol)

Walmart had a collection of multi-movie PD Christmas titles at $3. Probably the same old Mill Creek stuff. However, one had Snow Queen on it. The brilliant Russian adaptation from the 50s, eventually voiced by Tommy Kirk and Sandra Dee in the 60s (I believe). This version was actually the one I'd been looking for for many years. I saw it in the mid 70s and it's stayed with me. I couldn't remember which one it was. I thought the original Russian and the dubbed were different films. I watched the Russian version last weekend for the first time since seeing it as a kid. It hasn't lost a thing. Odd that I finally found the dubbed version in Walmart for dirt cheap days after. The English version has a live action opening with Art Linkletter passing out presents to some 50s kids, that's a very nice addition that I sure don't remember. The transfer isn't like a new Christmas ball , but more like one grandma pulls out every year since 1955 that's spotted cracked but everybody loves it anyway. Damaged, but watchable. I plan a full watch of that version as well. I'd love to see it a second time, since that type of multiple viewing is nostalgic as well. :) Anyway, thought I pass that along to anyone who might want it too. I don't think there's a better transfer out there, and there's 3 other things on the DVD that I don't remember. HERE is the amazon link to it. Again, it's $3 at walmart.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^^ The snow queen image was too dark and quite a bit of damage. It takes some much away from the film which is Disney quality, more or less. A real shame. :( A short film on the DVD had a look that was very familiar. I looked it up and turns out George and the Christmas Star was directed by the same guy as Heavy Metal. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Disney's A Christmas Carol was excellent. I highly recommend that one. It's not perfect, but works very well anyway. Only problems I had were the occasional needless action video game scenes and comedy moments (most was great, but took away from several scenes that should be dark and grim) and one part where the Cratchett's get their odd pre-cooked goose complete with stuffing in the bird. The thing, the goose, looked amazing. But...why? The goose should have had that "last goose in the shop" look. Small, boney, like something pulled out the garbage behind a restaurant. And they had someone else cook it? Just weird. Why did Disney do that? Biggest flaw in an otherwise first class production. That bugged me, but sure didn't ruin the whole film. Also, Marley's appearance was absolutely mind blowing. Then the joke about his jaw. Very funny, but it took away from all the darkness the film created. A real shame since up until the jaw the film had truly grabbed me out of my pre-watch "do I really want to watch yet another version of Scrooge?" and got me into it. But again, none of this ruined the whole film for me. I was very impressed. Well worth the $8. I don't know if I'll watch another Scrooge variation this year. Maybe Rich Little...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Big rack of $5 blus at Walmart. I got:

It's a Mad mad mad mad World
Chronicle

Quite a few others I can't remember. Seems I'm always in a hurry in there and my mental notation is in bad shape.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's still a long dry spell at BL here. They *did* get some "new" stock but it's all restock stuff with nothing different than before. I guess that's a good thing as I way overspent the past couple of months.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine got a few new ones, mainly blu rays for $5. The only ones I can remember from rushing in and out was John Cusack's 1408. That used to be paired with Mist. Also, James Cameron's Sanctum, which I never heard of. I just couldn't spend the money.

Walmart has a stack of blus I want to get. :( Eragon, Season of the Witch, 2 Ice Ages, some X-men... others. All $5 each.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I went into Big Lots for the first time in a long time, to buy bread, and picked up a Dragon Dynasty Jackie Chan Blu called Robin B Hood for $5. Never heard of it, but the RT rating was decent.

There wasn't much else of movie interest. FWIW, IMO I Am Number Four and G-Force are both good family flicks.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^I tend to like the DD prints/releases so I picked up that Chan film months back along with several other titles on that label... but it was $3 then. G-Force is another restock. I picked up my copy over a year ago (it was also missing the DMR code). I don't recall if I paid $3 or $5 for that one... it's been tooooo long. :)

Over the past 6-8 months I've seen quite a few former $3 titles show back up at the $5 price point. I don't know who's in charge of the DVD purchasing/pricing at BL but they are doing a horrible job lately. I don't understand why they raise DVD prices to $5 on restock titles that moved slowly at $3 - especially when many of them can be had for $5 on BR at either BL or other stores.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went in for the Buzz Club 20% day - picked up lots of household stuff. They *still* don't appear to have gotten in more "new" DVD stock but I did finally pick up that copy of Sweeney Todd I'd sort of hidden ($4 with discount) and stumbled across a copy of the Preston Sturgis film Hail the Conquering Hero for $2.40 (w/discount) so I purchaed it too.

I've had the "Preston Sturges - The Filmmaker Collection (Sullivan's Travels/The Lady Eve/The Palm Beach Story/Hail the Conquering Hero/The Great McGinty/Christmas in July/The Great Moment)" box set in my Amazon wish list for quite a while but it doesn't get "good" price drops very often (at least as low as $30), even from MP vendors and I have a per-film price limit on most sets of $4-$5 tops. Since I already own a few films in the set I may just go for singles since they go on sale more often and there's a chance I could come out ahead that way... I really hate when a set like this is made available *after* I've already picked up a few included films! It *really* makes it hard to justify the double-dips.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks