What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Best Picture winner (1949) plus, Best Actor for Broderick Crawford.
And Best Supporting Actress for Mercedes McCambridge.
I'm a little wary of these classic films now, after watching both "My Man Godfrey" and "Ninotchka" this past weekend and being greatly disappointed, but I did pick this one up.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Most have probably already seen the thread in the TV on DVD section:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/290091/tv-on-dvd-blu-ray-big-lots-anyone-confirm

Big Lots is featuring a bunch of season sets for $6 each beginning Sunday. Some stores have even put them out early.

Charles Knox

Agent
Real Name
jake
Below is the box sets and movies I pick up recently at Big Lots. I was going to buy Wonder Woman Season 3, but I was already going over my montly budget, so I had to decide on what I really wanted.
Box Sets

Superfriends: Volume 2
Looney Tunes Spotlight Collection: Volume 2
Dallas Season 1 & 2
Movies
They Were Expendable
Where Eagles Dare
Dr. No
Have any of you seen any other Superman related box sets besides Smallville?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It looked like they were unpacking more DVD's at my store last night (I couldn't stick around to find out specific titles, will have to stop back again). So you may want to check your local stores a couple of times to see if they have any new stock.

They must have done quite a business on the TV sets on Monday, as I was in Sunday and they had quite a few, but most had disappeared by the time I stopped in on Tuesday afternoon.

Can I just say that Big Lots is currently my favorite store. Beyond the DVD's, I've been looking for a decent priced dustbuster type cordless vac for awhile and even at Wal-Mart they seem to run around $30, but I found a nice one at Big Lots yesterday for only $17. And I've found quite a lot of other good buys recently, spending at least $20 every time I walk through the door (3 times in the past week). It also seems to be the only place outside of western Pennsylvania where you can get Snyder's of Berlin potato chips. Yum!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Got a ton of em!!

Wonder woman Complete series. $6. Last one! Was wondering if this was mis priced?
Dallas 1-3, 5- 9 woo hoo!!
Roots Anniversary set
Scooby Doo where are you? Season 3. Last one.
Best of the new Scooby Doo movies. Last one.
History of Rock & Roll
Nightmare & DReamscapes
Superfriends Vol 2

I'll probably return soon for E.R. if they have the early seasons.

I put back Season 5 & 6 of Dukes of Hazzard. And Season 1 Life Goes on.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/279203/big-lots-sale/90#post_3584989
[SIZE= larger]Roots?!?[/SIZE] Which set? 25th or 30th? Not that it matters.
For $6?
It's the 30th!! I went to walmart right after Big Lots and they had it for $45. Of course, amazon.com has it much cheaper than Walmart.
I also have the earlier version that a friend gave me (and have yet to watch) but wanted this updated version. I've got to watch this soon...but it's quite a commitment. And I just started watching Dallas yesterday for the first time since I was a child...and already a little addicted. So Roots will take a backseat, at least until I can get a few seasons from other shows done.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And I checked my Big Lots store today...
I got so excited for a minute...but then realized I had picked up a copy of Roots: The Next Generation instead of the original mini-series. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif I bought it anyway. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
Another $6 set I saw was Smallville: Season 7 (on Blu-ray!). I don't know ANYTHING about the series except that Smallville was where Superboy grew up. I bought it anyway. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
I'm a moron.
I also bought ($3 purchases):
D-Day: The Sixth of June
Till the Clouds Roll By
Ziegfeld Follies
Ninotchka (Garbo Laughs!)
Quick Change (a blind buy of an '80s Bill Murray comedy which has been highly recommended to me for years. I love Bill Murray's films.)
My store has lots of copies of Dallas, Nip/Tuck, The OC, Pinky and the Brain, Scooby-doo, Superfriends. I am really bummed about Roots. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif I guess I'll have to check back.
Malcolm: Did you ever watch All the King's Men?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Quick Change (a blind buy of an '80s Bill Murray comedy which has been highly recommended to me for years. I love Bill Murray's films.)
If it's the one I think it is then it is a pretty funny movie. I was pleasantly surprised. And I only like Bill Murray's films! It doesn't get mentioned too often but it's a nice little film..

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by gene c /forum/thread/279203/big-lots-sale/90#post_3585389
If it's the one I think it is then it is a pretty funny movie. I was pleasantly surprised. And I only like Bill Murray's films! It doesn't get mentioned too often but it's a nice little film..
It co-stars Geena Davis and it's got something to do with a heist or bank robbery...or something along those lines. Maybe DeVito's in it, too?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/279203/big-lots-sale/90#post_3585326
Not yet. I'd seen Roots at my store last Sunday, but they were all gone quickly after that. Checked my store again today, nothing new. Just a few sets of The OC, West Wing, and Joey left. My store never got any of the animated sets.
Picked up Ninotchka in one of my batches. Didn't like it. I did enjoy Flying Down to Rio, though (the first pairing of Astaire-Rogers), which is another classic film I'd picked up. Saw The Gay Divorcee today, but decided to take a chance that it's still there on Sunday, along with Ziegfeld Follies, when I can use the 20% off coupon Big Lots sent me today. Did you get a Big Lots coupon, Mike? I'll probably use it to also buy a new DVD storage shelf to hold all the DVD's I've been buying there lately.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/279203/big-lots-sale/90#post_3585326
And I checked my Big Lots store today...
I got so excited for a minute...but then realized I had picked up a copy of Roots: The Next Generation instead of the original mini-series. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif I bought it anyway. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
Another $6 set I saw was Smallville: Season 7 (on Blu-ray!). I don't know ANYTHING about the series except that Smallville was where Superboy grew up. I bought it anyway. /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif
I'm a moron.
I also bought ($3 purchases):
D-Day: The Sixth of June
Till the Clouds Roll By
Ziegfeld Follies
Ninotchka (Garbo Laughs!)
My store has lots of copies of Dallas, Nip/Tuck, The OC, Pinky and the Brain, Scooby-doo, Superfriends. I am really bummed about Roots. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif I guess I'll have to check back.
They had 1, maybe 2, Roots Original at mine yesterday. No Nex Gen. I'll have to keep checking back for that one. They also only had E.R. Seasons 2 and 9. So I didn't get that. Wanted at least 1-3. I'll wait because the first episode of Dallas shows me there is a lot of fun ahead so I won't have time for ER right now.
I wasn't sure about Pink & the Brain and Animaniacs. I watched neither of these in the 90s so I wasn't sure if it was worth my time. Zero nostalgia. If I hadn't already spent a mint I'd get them just because they were only $6.
I did pick up Season 5 and 6 of Duke of Hazzard. Very tempted to watch those but I'll wait until I buy and watch the first 4 seasons. also got the last copy of Blade the Complete series.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Charles Knox /forum/thread/279203/big-lots-sale/90#post_3585730
How did you receive the 20% off coupon?
If anyone is interested, Thundercats season 1 is also available at various Big Lots.
Sign up for the "Buzz Club" at their website. You get weekly emails announcing various specials and their circulars, and they'll occasionally send you a coupon for 20% off your entire purchase during special sales events. They are having one this Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks