What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Seems like I read Cold Comfort wasn't all that great... might have been my mom. Shame we don't live closer, I have a DVD of Dark Crystal I don't need but it would cost more to ship than it was new at BL. :(

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Radioman970 said:
Seems like I read Cold Comfort wasn't all that great... might have been my mom.
That's one I was looking forward to, but was disappointed when I finally saw it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Malcolm R said:
Seems like I read Cold Comfort wasn't all that great... might have been my mom.
That's one I was looking forward to, but was disappointed when I finally saw it.
I *do* like British humor so I'm hoping Ebert is right. Ebert wrapped up his review with:
"Cold Comfort Farm'' is like Thomas Hardy rewritten by P.G. Wodehouse, which is a nice trick if you can pull it off, and the movie does.
It got a 7.1 at IMDB, 84% from Rotten Tomatoes, and a 3.5 (out of 5) at Allmovie so I'm going in with good expectations although you two are tempering them a bit... :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I like Brit humor too... hummmmm... I maybe got it mixed up with something else that didn't do well. might just have to grab a copy myself... I need to be watching EVERYTHING that has Kate in it. Just neeeeed too! *perverse giggle* And holy moly, Pats from adfab is in this! Love her!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I like Brit humor too... hummmmm... I maybe got it mixed up with something else that didn't do well. might just have to grab a copy myself... I need to be watching EVERYTHING that has Kate in it. Just neeeeed too! *perverse giggle* And holy moly, Pats from adfab is in this! Love her!
Yep... Pats is what grabbed my attention and tipped the scales for the blind buy. Had she not been on the cover I'd have probably never picked it up. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
That actress was on at least one Are you Being Served? and I about fell out of my chair when I figured who she was. Well, tripped up to Bl on the way back from the doctor (just a check up, got an A+ somehow). I had some groceries that needed a frig so I had to hurry through it and didn't have paper to write stuff down on. I got: Three O clock High. Haven't seen this in years. Wondering if there's a blu...Nope! And this DVD is $25 on amazon right now!! Punchline. Was just craving this after watching something similar... can't remember what it was... no blu. The Medallion. My Chan collection grows..There's a blu...will probably take back Splice. Almost didn't get... There's a blu here too... might keep anyway... Season One: Meerkat Manor. Looks neat! $3 for 4+ hours of a interesting sounding nature show? I'm there! $13 on amazon! Had these in hand but put them back for another day: Le Mans. Steve McQueen . Noticed blu ray. I'll get the blu instead, looks great! Mutiny on the Bounty. Brando. I have Laughton and Hopkins already... But there's a blu, added to wishlist Let the Bullets Fly. Chow Yun Fat. there's a blu so I'll wish list it Franklyn. Odd looking horror movie. Really want to see this... might get it later... Little Miss Marker. Julie Andrews, Walter Matthau. Will probably go back and get this. Splitting Heirs. Need this, trying to get all films with Python members. Noticed a multi movie set on amazon with this and Fierce Creature, plus 2 others. Nice! Will get that instead. they also had Cold Comfort Farm which I'll get next time.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
That actress was on at least one Are you Being Served? and I about fell out of my chair when I figured who she was. Well, tripped up to Bl on the way back from the doctor (just a check up, got an A+ somehow). I had some groceries that needed a frig so I had to hurry through it and didn't have paper to write stuff down on. I got: Three O clock High. Haven't seen this in years. Wondering if there's a blu...Nope! And this DVD is $25 on amazon right now!!
Someone saw your post - down to $18.50
Radioman970 said:
Splice. Almost didn't get... There's a blu here too... might keep anyway...
It's a very interesting film. I purchased a copy last year as a blind buy expecting something similar to Species. It's not... at all... It was much better than I was expecting.
Radioman970 said:
Season One: Meerkat Manor. Looks neat! $3 for 4+ hours of a interesting sounding nature show? I'm there! $13 on amazon!
I've seen some of this when my grandson was watching it during the original run on Animal Planet. It's pretty good - especially so for $3.
Radioman970 said:
Had these in hand but put them back for another day: Mutiny on the Bounty. Brando. I have Laughton and Hopkins already... But there's a blu, added to wishlist
I prefer the Laughton/Gable version but got this one simply because it got several Academy Award nominations and I'll purchase certain remakes of classic films just because.
Radioman970 said:
Franklyn. Odd looking horror movie. Really want to see this... might get it later...
Now I have to look up another film to possibly look for! :D
Radioman970 said:
Little Miss Marker. Julie Andrews, Walter Matthau. Will probably go back and get this.
On the fence here. I need to look it up but I don't recall caring for it much when it came out.
Radioman970 said:
Splitting Heirs. Need this, trying to get all films with Python members. Noticed a multi movie set on amazon with this and Fierce Creature, plus 2 others. Nice! Will get that instead.
Good decision. That multi-film set is the *only* way to get a Anamorphic WS version of Fierce Creatures (the single disk is FS) and the other films are not *too* bad. I enjoyed Splitting Heirs and the other 2 weren't total wastes of time.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just watched 3 o'clock high. Been so long, but now I remember how great it was. Deserves a blu ray. It's up there with the rest of my favs in this genre from the 80s, Fast Times, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Just one of the Guys, etc... seriously fun film. Probably a little nostalgia talkin'... but it left me feeling good. Terrific cast of "hey it's that guy!" or "that girl!" @ "not like Species". good. I'm hoping from something different on it. I'm thinking about just keeping those DVDs and if I really like them upgrade to blu later. I'll probably prefer laughton/gable as well. I quite like Hopkins/Gibson though. @ "Franklyn". The cover kind of/sort of reminds me of Dark City. I think it's film noir. the blu ray isn't a whole lot more. @ "Fierce Creatures" thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. I was initially disappointed in FC, was hoping for Wanda 2 or something. But I'd like to watch it again not expecting so much.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Meerkat looks like a blast. I grew up on Wild Kingdom (in many ways, lol). I have that large oop set of Wild Kingdom BCI put out. Sure wish Mill Creek would continue those. I'd buy all they put out and even rebuy that large set for my dad. ... I also like the Gods Must be Crazy films. The guy that did those did Animals are Funny People (I believe that's the title). And Meerkat reminds me of that. I'll probably get up tomorrow and watch one over breakfast with a Wild Kingdom too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
...I was initially disappointed in FC, was hoping for Wanda 2 or something. But I'd like to watch it again not expecting so much.
Same here but I found it better when I watched it again on DVD. Basically it was better than I'd remembered.
Radioman970 said:
Meerkat looks like a blast. I grew up on Wild Kingdom (in many ways, lol). I have that large oop set of Wild Kingdom BCI put out. Sure wish Mill Creek would continue those. I'd buy all they put out and even rebuy that large set for my dad. ... I also like the Gods Must be Crazy films. The guy that did those did Animals are Funny People (I believe that's the title). And Meerkat reminds me of that. I'll probably get up tomorrow and watch one over breakfast with a Wild Kingdom too.
Meerkat is a fun series. I'd watched a few with my grandson and they were quite entertaining. I showed him the DVD last night and he got excited about it all over! :) I'll probably have to purchase a 2nd copy so he can take one home! I'd purchased that Wild Kingdom set from SAMs several years ago for ~$20, thought about it, took it back, and have regretted it ever since! I grew up watching Wild Kingdom and have lots of fond memories ("I'll sit in the relative safety of this tree stand while Jim goes down and wrestles that crocodile..." type stuff). I keep hoping someone will sell a "very good" used copy for that same ~$20 so I can purchase it again...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Malcolm R said:
I was addicted to "Meerkat Manor" when it was originally run on Animal Planet.
So was my grandson. He tried to *never* miss an episode and would have me tape it for him just in case. I never kept the tapes because I thought he'd probably outgrow the series and not want to watch them after a couple of years. He's surprised me. He still likes the series and likes nature programs/documentaries in general. That's one reason I regret taking back that copy of Wild Kingdom. He'd *love* the show!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
BobO'Link said:
Same here but I found it better when I watched it again on DVD. Basically it was better than I'd remembered. Meerkat is a fun series. I'd watched a few with my grandson and they were quite entertaining. I showed him the DVD last night and he got excited about it all over! :) I'll probably have to purchase a 2nd copy so he can take one home! I'd purchased that Wild Kingdom set from SAMs several years ago for ~$20, thought about it, took it back, and have regretted it ever since! I grew up watching Wild Kingdom and have lots of fond memories ("I'll sit in the relative safety of this tree stand while Jim goes down and wrestles that crocodile..." type stuff). I keep hoping someone will sell a "very good" used copy for that same ~$20 so I can purchase it again...
Aw man! tough break. I just searched my email and found that I paid $12.50 for it from oldies.com in '09. Whoa... amazon's price NEW is $450? lol just used it's $100 minimum. They need to reprint these and bring out some more. Yeah, it's amazing what they were doing. And poor Perkins, people have joked about his moments like that on the show for years. Of course, they showed a lot of close calls over the years (well, 50s to 80s) in a single episode I watched recently and there were gasp worthy ones even with Perkins. btw, has anyone seen Marty Stouffer's Wild America? It comes up in a search and it's real cheap for the whole show. $9 for 6 seasons. I need to research it some. ...(15+ mins of research later) looks like there is 12 seasons for about $18 or so. youtube clips looked familiar, I'm sure I've seen it. debating, but I'll probably grab it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
If you purchase Meerkat Manor open the set and check those disks! The copy I got looks like the disks were used for coasters! If I'd not broken the seal and removed the security tape I'd have sworn they came from a rental place and saw *lots* of abuse. Fortunately much of the junk cleaned off with rubbing alcohol and a clean cloth but there are several scratches and they still look a bit "worn" in spots. We're watching it now (grandson got home from school and asked to watch a few eps) so I'll know fairly soon if cleaning worked.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bummer. I've gotten stuff like that too. No loose disc, loose security thingie, nothing... but they looked abused. I just opened mine and they look brand new.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Great! Glad yours look OK! Disk 1 played without issue so now it's on to disk 2. It is the worst looking so I'm a bit more concerned. At least they still have a couple of copies so if it skips/freezes/etc. I can get an exchange. Out of hundreds of disks this is only the 2nd time I've seen something like this when opening new product that wasn't a "floater".

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
It's rare for me too. I remember opening something new and finding a lone finger print on it. Watched the first episode and had a great time. Jumps from cuteness to serious... I was on the edge of my seat when they were mobbing that snake. Looks great. I'll most likely get the rest of these in the future. Just kind of milk this set Saturday mornings with Wild Kingdom.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I ran by after Church today to pick up a loaf of bread and found they'd put out a new single sided waterfall display of $5 titles. Here are a few I saw: $5 titles: Conviction - The Complete Series Double, The End of Days (Schwarzenegger)/Virus (Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Sutherland) For Love or Money/Casual Sex?/The Secret of My Success/The Hard Way/Career Opportunities (restock) House of Mirth, The/Les Miserables (1998) Kung Fu Panda (FS) Marnie (Hitchcock w/Tippi Hedren and Sean Connery) (only saw *one* copy) Meerkat Manor - S3 Once Upon a Time in China/II/3 (triple feature w/Jet Li - All three in WS and Chinese w/Engish subs! [they also have an English audio track for those so inclined]) Patriot, The (Superbit) Shrek 2 (FS) Shrek the Third (FS) Social Network, The (had *lots* of these) Stroker Ace/Hooper/Sharky's Machine (all FS) Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned (restock) I picked up: End of Days/Virus Marnie Meerkat Manor - S3 Once Upon a Time in China/II/3 I tried to look up the Once Upon a Time in China trilogy but couldn't find an exact match. It's from Sony and doesn't match either of the 3 film sets on Amazon (which are going for ~$18-~$30 new). I also came to dead end looking up the ISBN and UPC numbers (ISBN: 1-4359-9402-7, UPC: 0-43396-33233-1). It's in a slipcase labeled "Multi Feature" with a frame from each film in a WS format stacked on the front. Above the 3 stacked frames is a image of a flight wing pin with a hand granade in the center circle. No security band/sticker on the top so you'll have to look for blank tops with a slip case as the clue. Marnie is also in a slip case. One of those that exactly duplicates the DVD case. I've never understood the attraction for those. Now... where the heck is Meerkat Manor S2 and S4?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'd soooo grab that Stroker Ace set.. don't care who knows it. lol Great list. I'll hold off for a later in the week visit to mine. Hope I see some of that. They had The Patriot on blu for $8 at one time. I picked up a copy to replace a DVD. Still haven't checked it out. conviction doesn't get very good reviews.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Nothing new at BL. Wally world had some great deals. A bunch of multi-movie dvd sets for $10, most I haven't seen in there before. Can't remember a single one. :( I did pick up the Don Knotts 4-movie set (Ghost and Mr. chicken one) for $13, Jet Li Fearless/Unleashed set $10 but those were in a different place. But there were of lot of movie sets that I think people would really like. Bunch of TV seasons. I picked up In Living Color S3 and S4 for $10 each. They had Chips, Dukes of Hazzard...season 1 only. The Waltons S1 and S9, Mash, Facts of Life, Diff'nent Strokes, just a ton of stuff like that. One whole side of one of those tall racks that movies are usually in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks