What's new

Big Lots Sale (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
Quick trip to Big Lots (and wally world) yesterday to pick up something. Ended up with 3 somethings at BL: Fathom. Raquel Welch. Never heard of this. Looks fun.
It is. It's a sort of spy spoof primarily designed to show off Ms. Welch's assets. If you enjoy the Flint and/or Matt Helm films you'll probably like this too. Also look for Modesty Blaise at BL. I believe I've seen a copy or two there. It's another 60s film in that genre.
Radioman970 said:
Sweet Liberty. Alan Alda, Michael Caine, Michelle Pfeiffer... remember really liking this. It's in full frame, but I think that means open matte in this case. So that's fine... nothing else is avail.
I don't think I've seen this one. I like Michelle Pfeiffer so...
Radioman970 said:
Going Bizerk. Stars some SCTV guys. I thought this was oop. So VERY happy. Trying to collect all flicks that star SNL and SCTV folks.
Yes, Going Berserk is OOP (at least the single release - the 3 pack with The Great Outdoors and Uncle Buck is still in print). It *can* be had from amazon MP vendors but at a higher price (~$10 shipped) than at BL. I found a copy of that one myself and was quite happy. It's not a *great* film but I like John Candy and have been attempting to purchase most of the films in which he's had a starring role.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll look for that other one next time I'm in there. Cool! I've yet to watch a Flint... Well dang. I'd like that set... I'll probably just grab the other 2 separate some time instead of returning this one. I remember liking Great Outdoors. Been a long time... Yeah, Going Berzerk is only mildly funny. But Candy makes it worth watching.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I'll look for that other one next time I'm in there. Cool! I've yet to watch a Flint... Well dang. I'd like that set... I'll probably just grab the other 2 separate some time instead of returning this one. I remember liking Great Outdoors. Been a long time... Yeah, Going Berzerk is only mildly funny. But Candy makes it worth watching.
I enjoy both the other films on that set. Been a while since I've seen Berzerk. I almost picked up a used copy of that set several times before I found that $3 copy of Berserk at BL. Used that set was going to be at least that much and I already own the other 2 films so the BL find was very good! If you don't own either of the Flint films look for them at BL. They've had both Our Man Flint and In Like Flint over the past few months. They'll be easy to spot (as will Modesty Blaise) as the cases are Orange (I believe - I'll check when I get home to be sure - might be Green) so they stand out from everything else.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I haven't seen Going Berzerk in years. Saw it on cable so long ago. Definitely liked it. I have both the Flint films luckily. I picked them up some months back at BL. Thanks for the tip[ on Modesty Blaise.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Radioman970 said:
I haven't seen Going Berzerk in years. Saw it on cable so long ago. Definitely liked it. I have both the Flint films luckily. I picked them up some months back at BL. Thanks for the tip[ on Modesty Blaise.
Cool! OK... the case for Modesty Blaise is a bright/light green. About the same color as the Bikini Ms. Welch is wearing on the cover of Fathom. For anyone else who might be looking for the Flint films: Our Man Flint is in a Red case In Like Flint is in a yellow case Happy hunting! :)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I didn't see one. I just saw a single copy of Fathom. Will keep looking. Did pick up WB's Saturday Morning Cartoons 1980s. $5. Nice to see a Thundarr feature. The full series set just had the episodes. ...hoping the Mr. T cartoon is as funny as the SNL TV Funhouse parody of it was. I busted a gut on that. Don't do drugS!! lol

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
There are no copies of Modesty Blaise left here either that I could find. It's available from a Amazon MP vendor for just under $7 (fulfilled by amazon) or Hamilton Books for ~$8 plus shipping ($3.50 per order plus $0.40 per item). Hamilton Books is a pretty good place to look for hard-to-find/OOP titles but their catalog is not all that "deep". They deal mostly with closeouts and overstocks so it's like shopping at BL. If you see something you want it's a good idea to not wait very long. I went in yesterday to get a hand juicer and looked at the DVD selection. Absolutely *nothing* new has been put out. That makes about a month with no "new" titles. :( But I *did* go ahead and pick up a $10 copy of My Two Dads S1 as it's one I recall enjoying a bit during original airings. My recollection is that it got better during the second season (like many sit-coms). The bad part is I keep saying I'm not going to add any "new" series to the collection until I've finished many of those where I don't yet own all the seasons. Then I go to BL... Those impulse purchases at BL tend to kill that resolve almost every time. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I have so much on my amazon wish list now that I'm trying to limit BL purchases. There were a few I noted: Racing with the Moon. AC/DC Let there be Rock The Cure Here come the Tigers. Tank. Full screen, unfortunately. Barb Wire. I just felt I should leave them all in favor of something on my amazon list. Top is probably Charlies Angels complete series for something like $35.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I found a single copy of one called "Flashback Comedies" for $5. It's 5 movies on 5 disks: For Love or MOney - Michael J. Fox Casual Sex? - Lea Thompson The Secret of My Success - Michael J. Fox The Hard Way - - Michael J. Fox & James Woods Career Opportunities - Jennifer Connelly (a John Hughes film) Nothing "great" but I remember enjoying the 2 MJF films in that set I've seen. I haven't seen The Hard Way or the 2 non MJF films so for $5 it's worth it to me. Other than that single title the rest looked like the same ole same ole.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw that Flashback as well. Not a bad deal at all. If I didn't already have Career Ops I'd get it to see Casual Sex again. And those Fox flicks would just be a bonus. Career Ops is a lot of fun. Connelly is drool-worthy throughout.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This has been the longest "dry spell" at BL for "new" DVDs I recall. Went yesterday and they still have the same grouping they've had for 6 weeks. *Zero* additional titles. I really thought after inventory was done some new stuff would show up... oh well... it simply means I'm purchasing more cookies, chips, and cereal. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I just end up walking out empty handed, which is insane. :p today I did pick up a couple I've passed over before: Dukes of Hazzard 2 movie set w/ the one from 2005. $5. Almost have all the DoH stuff now, regardless of how it's reviewed. lol .. I just need Season 7 and the cartoon series...might be one other thing... not sure... MGM World films: Salaam Bombay! Good reviews for this. Ocean Heaven. Drama with Jet Li. Good reviews here too. But that's some funky variety right there. There is DEFINITELY something wrong with me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I haven't bought a DVD at BL in a looong time. Their flyers usually tout "new titles in store," but I haven't seen any for months.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
They are having a 20% off sale this weekend. Sat-After 4PM until closing. Use your card. Sun-Coupon, all day. Coupon print out on their website QUICK REVIEW: Ocean Heaven. Jet Li's name recognition probably surprised some folks expecting Li's tireless action scenes. Instead, this is dramatics in another direction. Serious drama with Li (complete with hair cut and eyeglasses to age him) as a father trying to raise his son, an autistic young man now in his 20s. It follows Rainman to bring out more fascination for this medical condition. Emotionally strong material... excellent performances. I found the opening scene a little shocking, but it really gave a high level of urgency throughout the running time. The preview trailer included made me want to watch it again. Not sure I'd want to watch that trailer BEFORE watching, since it gives quite a bit away. Watch it cold and you won't be sorry.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Ya beat me to it! I was just coming to post about the sale! :D I've been hearing reports of "new" DVDs at some locations. No titles yet... I'll know about the store here after my post 4pm trip today. After all, can't miss a "free" 20% off which will also add to the count towards the next "earned" one (and I'll go again tomorrow for a double-shot). :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
They had a new double sided waterfall setup of $3 movies. Other than Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal (which had a sticker on the back indicating the digital copy has expired) nothing really stood out and most of it seemed to be restock. Still 20% off chips, paper plates, Easter basket junk for the grand kids, etc. made for a worthwhile trip. I'll go back tomorrow for enough to earn another purchase towards our next 20% off. And I just realized I forgot to ask for a coupon for Sunday and they didn't automatically give me one! Possibly because I know the person who checked me out and we were doing some general talk during checkout. Oh well... I'll just print one from the site.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I went back this morning and had more time plus far fewer people in the store (it was *packed* yesterday) so I took more time with the new DVD waterfalls. I *finally* came up with a couple of titles I'd been looking for (the Brando ones) along with a couple of new ones. Here's the haul at $2.40 each: Julius Caesar (Marlon Brando - slim pack probably removed from the Brando box set. There were a couple of others that seemed to have come from that set as well.) Mutiny on the Bounty 2D-SE (Marlon Brando - in a full size keep case) Geronimo: An American Legend (Robert Duvall, Gene Hackman, Matt Damon, Jason Patric) I'd never heard of this but it looked interesting. Looking it up post purchase it got farily good reviews. Cold Comfort Farm (Kate Beckinsale, Joanna Lumley) Another I'd never heard of but with Lumley I figured "why not?". It was made for British TV but received a theatrical release in the US. Roger Ebert gave it a good review. Based on his description it sounds like something I'd really like. Bats-SE (Lou Diamond Phillips) A restock title this is the R-rated "Directors Cut". Got *horrible* reviews and will probably go back. Meerkat Manor - S1 I finally caved on this for my grandson. He really liked the show when it originally aired and will probably enjoy this short season. Plus it's in one of those clear keep-cases so I can swap it out for a black one and use the clear one to replace another one with damage. I couldn't decide about The Dark Crystal. I'm not a fan of muppet films of any type and didn't much care for that one when it came out, but I can always just exchange Bats for it as the grandkids *might* like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks