What's new

Big Lots Sale (2 Viewers)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
He's rough. Although he does hit the nail on the head at how useless the original Barbara was. I much prefer the badass remake Barbara, that cute redhead. Woo wee! :D
See, I don't agree. While I wont argue that Barbra was a Action-Woman or anything, she wasn't a screaming helpless female who's only purpose in the movie was to be rescued. Seeing that she was probably in shock - what, after seeing her brother murdered and being chased through the woods by what was at the very least a psychotic killer and all - I thought that she was realistic. Hell, I like to talk big, but I probably would have been a basket case myself under those circumstances.
Anyway - I swung by Big Lots and picked up a couple of things:
Waiting for Guffman
A Mighty Wind
Christine (haven't seen it in 20 years, so what the hell)
Vampire Hunters (I know nothing about it other than it's a kung fu flick from Tsui Hark, so I cant possibly go wrong for 3 bucks)
Chain of Command (a Canon Film I've never heard of? SOLD!)
And (drum roll please) my prize of the night. . . . . .
VIVA KNIEVEL!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you have a 99 Cents store near you then check out their titles. The one near me has quite a few TV shows on the shelf like Friends, The Dukes Of Hazzard and even F Troop! Might be worth taking a peak. And remmember, 99 Cents!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
SilverWook said:
How is it the newly remastered Brainstorm disc, (which came out a scant two months ago) ends up at Big Lots? That's got to be some sort of record. And I guess it explains why I couldn't find it anywhere else locally.
Not crazy about buying discs with the UPC slash through the case, but at three bucks each, I can live with it.
I'm wondering if the constantly shifting aspect ratios didn't create a flood of returns claiming "defective discs" so retailers refused to keep them in stock?
There is a note on the back about the "multiple aspect ratios of its theatrical release," but we all know how good most people are at reading notes. :rolleyes

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I don't anyone got the chance to buy it at full retail. I tried several stores the week it was supposed to be released, and nobody was stocking it. (Target didn't even have it in their system.) It seems to have gone straight into the bargain bin.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mine had a ton of new ones last time I went.
They finally got a bunch of Brainstorms in. :laugh: But last time I went in there those were all gone.
I picked up the one copy of World according to Garp they had. That one needs a special edition badly with commentary from director and Williams. I also got the animated film Kaena: The Prophecy. They had a lot of those. That sure looks good. Kind of Final Fantasy-ish. They had the british film Stella Street. That gets very mixed reviews but I'll go back and get one. I can't remember anything else specific.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tony J Case said:
And (drum roll please) my prize of the night. . . . . .
VIVA KNIEVEL!
:laugh:
Mine still has a few of these. I've got to get the strength and will together to actually buy one! I know I can do it!!!!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Radioman970 said:
...needs a special edition badly with commentary from director and Williams.
I'm afraid that's impossible, James. Director George Roy Hill passed away in 2002.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Bob Graham said:
I'm afraid that's impossible, James. Director George Roy Hill passed away in 2002.
*Gets shovel and cemetery map*
You were saying? :P
Well, joking aside, that's a shame. At least Williams, Lithgow and a producer or something.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aaron Silverman said:
in the DVD Reviews Archive and you'll save yourself $3 and 90 minutes. ;)
You'll never guess what I just bought. Oops!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
It looks kind of like Brilliant/Fast Show. I'm not a real big fan of that. But I do kind of like John Sessions.
Your review came up near the top of a google search for that and I read it over the weekend. But this is kind of like when you're 4 years old and they say don't stick the fork in the power outlet but it's so easy to try it just to see what happenes. :D
I also picked up Tristram Shandy: a Cock & Bull Story. This looks interesting.
And one called "Ivavay Ievelknay" I translated the title from english to pig latin to avoid further embassassment.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
Mine still has a few of these. I've got to get the strength and will together to actually buy one! I know I can do it!!!!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
So. . . did you knuckle under and get one yet? I'm dieing to know what you though of this amazingly astoundingly bad, gloriously fun flick.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tony J Case said:
So. . . did you knuckle under and get one yet? I'm dieing to know what you though of this amazingly astoundingly bad, gloriously fun flick.
I'll come clean. "Ivavay Ievelknay" translated from pig latin is Viva Knievel.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I'll have to pick the perfect Saturday afternoon for it. I'll post here once I've found it.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Rob Brown

Agent
Radioman970 said:
Revenge of Frankenstein is in that $20 insanely packed Hammer set. So...basically we *skip* ALL need to *skip* *skip* buy *skiiip* it again! ;)
Actually, REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN is a stand-alone from Sony. It's not in their Hammer set. You may be thinking of THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, which is in the Universal set. Either way, at the moment the only way that I know to purchase REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN is to buy it all by its lonesome.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rob Brown said:
Actually, REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN is a stand-alone from Sony. It's not in their Hammer set. You may be thinking of THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, which is in the Universal set. Either way, at the moment the only way that I know to purchase REVENGE OF FRANKENSTEIN is to buy it all by its lonesome.
It's easy to confuse those Frankenstein films. I passed on "Revenge" initially because I already had a double pack of Hammer films (with one Dracula film and one Frankenstein film) but couldn't remember which was included. Ended up I didn't have "Revenge" so I picked it up on my next visit to BL.
Not overly impressed with most of these blind buys so far. I guess there's a reason they're blowing them out at only $3 each.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Malcolm R said:
It's easy to confuse those Frankenstein films. I passed on "Revenge" initially because I already had a double pack of Hammer films (with one Dracula film and one Frankenstein film) but couldn't remember which was included. Ended up I didn't have "Revenge" so I picked it up on my next visit to BL.
Not overly impressed with most of these blind buys so far. I guess there's a reason they're blowing them out at only $3 each.
I think I have that set!! It is Blood of Dracula from the 70s?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tony J Case said:
Vampire Hunters (I know nothing about it other than it's a kung fu flick from Tsui Hark, so I cant possibly go wrong for 3 bucks)
Don't be too sure. I grabbed this too and it has to be near the top of my list of "worst films ever".
Another small batch of new titles at my store. A few that I remember seeing:
Johnny English (Rowan Atkinson)
The Missing (Tommy Lee Jones/Cate Blanchett)
Romper Stomper (Russell Crowe; 2-disc set)
All the King's Men (1949)
Ray
Xanadu
Duel (Spielberg)
Stealth
Stranger Than Fiction
The Grudge 2
Doctor Detroit (Dan Aykroyd)
Spiderman 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads