The Red Badge of Courage
Oh, God! You Devil
Bullitt
The Wind and the Lion
Presenting Lily Mars

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Those are some awesome $3 titles, Malcolm. You already know I think A Man for All Seasons is a great buy. So is The Wind and the Lion. Bullitt, too.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
Those are some awesome $3 titles, Malcolm. You already know I think A Man for All Seasons is a great buy. So is The Wind and the Lion. Bullitt, too.
I only saw one copy of "A Man for All Seasons" and recalled your positive comments about it, so I grabbed it.
The only downside is these display units are kind of hard to search thoroughly. The sides are basically cubby holes about 3-feet deep, so you have to really get down and look inside to see all the titles. I considered going to the hardware department and getting a flashlight, but decided I could probably manage. ;)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Revenge of Frankenstein is in that $20 insanely packed Hammer set. So...basically we *skip* ALL need to *skip* *skip* buy *skiiip* it again! ;)
I can't believe they have City of Lost Children. I wish they'd get Delicatessen. I haven't bought that one yet. Tired of my VHS and don't watch it anymore.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Casey Neutron said:
City Of Lost Children? Back to Big Lots I go...
It's probably unlikely that all of these displays are packed the same way, but in my store COLC was on the very top tier, way to the back (height-challenged people may need a step ladder :D ).

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, this is slight OT...but FOR THE THREAD!!!!
Walmart had the X-Men trilogy widescreen for 10 bucks yesterday. Luckily I only had the first film already. I'll give it to mom since I've wanted her to see that for years and she doesn't realize how much she'll love it. So now she'll have no excuse.
Picked up from Big Lots:
Anastasia. It's a version with big giant read-along subs for the kiddies. I need help with my reedin. :P You can turn that off. cool! Hope I like it better now. Not my fav Bluth.
Power Rangers: The Movie. I remember not liking this but that was years ago. So I think I'll dislike it a little less now since I'm in to these funky Japanese things now.
A very Muppet Christmas. This looks great! May not quite be A Muppet Christmas Carol (which I've also never seen) but if it's anything like a Muppet Wizard of Oz I'll love it.
Magic Sword. Finally got this one! I missed getting one from the last batch they had.
-------------------
Saw a several kid's movies like Son of Flicka and the one about the kid and the yellow dog. The name escapes me, but I remember it being good...Adventures of yellow dog? And Bluth's Thumbelina with the big subs. Not sure if that's a good one or not.
Saw a bunch of old flicks I wanted. The musical The Band Wagon 2-DVD version, which I've only ever seen snippets of on That's Entertainment. I'll go back and get one of those next week on payday. Also 3 with James Cagney I'll pick up next week, incl the one where he does the thing with the orange/grapefruit. And Grand Hotel.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Radioman970 said:
This looks great! May not quite be A Muppet Christmas Carol (which I've also never seen) but if it's anything like a Muppet Wizard of Oz I'll love it.
As a lifelong Muppet fan, I enjoyed this one. It's not up to the level of "Muppet Christmas Carol," but I thought it was better than "...Oz."

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Malcolm R said:
As a lifelong Muppet fan, I enjoyed this one. It's not up to the level of "Muppet Christmas Carol," but I thought it was better than "...Oz."
Me too! And I've yet to begin buying The Muppet Show. One of my most wanted too.
This should be fun at Christmas. Although I might watch it this summer. hahaha!

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Picked up "The World According To Garp" and "In America" which I hadn't seen in there before. No luck yet with "The City of Lost Children" but I'll keep checking back--there's a Big Lots just down the street from me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well...after all these stories, I just had to go and check things out at my local Big Lots.
No City of Lost Children at my store. But several copies of the Muppet Christmas movie. One copy of A Man for All Seasons.
I walked away with:
Anna Christie (Garbo talks!)
My Man Godfrey
Flying Down to Rio
The Champ (Beery version)
That Championship Season (Never seen this!)
Saawariya (I was intrigued by this when it was released not that long ago)
All for the cost of one "regularly priced" DVD.
BTW, my store was much cleaner and organized than I remember it. Must've had a face lift at one time or another.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My second round:
Lullaby of Broadway (Doris Day)
My Man Godfrey
Boom Town (Gable/Tracy/Colbert/Lamarr)
Conspiracy Theory
My Favorite Wife (Cary Grant)
Ziegfeld Girl (Garland/Stewart)
Ninotchka (Garbo)
Anna Christie (Garbo)
Helen of Troy (1956)
Roberta (Astaire/Rogers)
Flying Down to Rio (Astaire/Rogers)
Dominion: Prequel to The Exorcist
A Mighty Wind
Waiting for Guffman
The Return of the Vampire (Lugosi)
Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (Hammer)
and, of course...
Plan 9 from Outer Space (with Mike Nelson commentary) :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nice haul. I would have bit on a number of those titles myself....but they weren't at my store.
I would have loved to have seen The Band Wagon or Ziegfeld Girl. I think Boom Town is a nice pickup for you! :emoji_thumbsup:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mike Frezon said:
to have seen The Band Wagon or Ziegfeld Girl. I think Boom Town is a nice pickup for you! :emoji_thumbsup:
I saw "The Band Wagon" in the last batch they brought in back in Jan/Feb.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those following this conversation: The full name of the title is Far From Home: The Adventures of Yellow Dog.
I haven't seen it in years myself...but my recollection is it was okay. My family had a yellow lab at the time.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm R said:
I've always thought that Plan 9 was a bad choice to MST - waaaaaay too easy of a target. And while I'm not a Joel vs Mike seperatist (I like 'em both), I think Nelson alone isnt all that funny. I watched about half an hour of his Night of the Living Dead before I wanted to punch him in the face.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
IIRC, that was one of the reasons Plan Nine was never on MST3K. Between "Manos:The Hands of Fate" and the works of Coleman Francis, it's not "The worst movie ever made!" anymore. :P
They did do two of Ed Wood's other epics though!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Tony J Case said:
. I watched about half an hour of his Night of the Living Dead before I wanted to punch him in the face.
:laugh: He's rough. Although he does hit the nail on the head at how useless the original Barbara was. I much prefer the badass remake Barbara, that cute redhead. Woo wee! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks