What's new

Big Lots Sale (2 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
gene c said:
Big Lots has had a $3 bin for at least a couple of months, probably longer. Occasionally they advertise new titles but mostly they just randomly throw things in the bin. In my stores, I've yet to see things like the Bond movies. Either they didn't stock them or they sold before I got there.
It's a real hit-or-miss but I stop by every couple of weeks just to see what's there.
At my store, the Bonds were not in the regular DVD area, but had a special table in the "this week's featured items" sale area just inside the front doors.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
At my store, the Bonds were not in the regular DVD area, but had a special table in the "this week's featured items" sale area just inside the front doors.
After reading about the Bond dvd's here, I went to a store a day or two later and they "thought" they were sold out. Didn't know about the special featured items table. But now I do!

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Lion's Gate titles are now $2. SWIMMING WITH SHARKS and many others.
I found Season 3 of MOONLIGHTING for $2.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Picked up 5 more:
All of Me. Lion's Gate title. $2. Just watched it and the source print they used is awful. I guess it's worth 2 bucks to be able to see it again. Not quite up there with The Man with 2 Brains but fun.
The Believers. $2. I always think of this film since I have a Ice Tea maker that is old and leaks. :D IO haven't seen this in about 20 years. Man, time flies!
Amityville Horror, the original. $3.
Paths of Glory and The Apartment. $3 each. These were the only ones I planned.
More movies I saw: Ned Kelly (1970 version), Dogsville, L'Enfant, Sabata Trilogy.
Games I saw: Spellforce 2 Shadow Wars, Soldier Elite, Rogue Trooper, Dungeon Lords.
I'll probably get Ned Kelly, Sabata Trology and Spellforce 2 some time in the future.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Just found a biglots right near my house. Never been in one before - holy smokes, that was a low rent K-Mart! It's like a dollar superstore or something.

I was actually kind of disappointed in the DVD selection - mostly mainstream crap I wouldnt touch with a 10 foot pole. I was hoping for more of the real supercheap public domain and bootleg discs, some grindhouse horror and exploitation.

Still I grabbed An Evening With Kevin Smith 2 for 3 bucks. Hell, I turn around and sell it at a used store, I'm barely out the price of a rental.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Like many other stores they put out new product on Tuesdays and the good titles seem to go fast. Low rent K-Mart. That sounds about right.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I bought a huge stack yesterday at my Big Lots. King Kong (the original), the New World (never seen), THX 1138 2-DVD version (gonna try and return an opened single DVD version wish luck ha ha), Rebel without a Cause 2-DVD (never seen!!!), Devil's Backbone, Bowfinger, Stuart Little 3 (never seen),...I think that was it. Very happy. I also bought about 20 flicks from DeeDee's recent 2 for 1 sale. I'm all set for flicks for a while.
Btw, saw but didn't but the Darkman flicks, Maltese Falcon, many other good ones. I also like their computer game selection, but they didn't have a whole lot that I liked this time.
Walmart had 2 Peanuts films for $4 each, A Boy name Charlie Brown from 1969 and Snoopy Come Home from 1972. Haven't seen these since I was a kid. I think this kind of thing is timeless though. Poor ole Chuck! I think I relate to his hang ups more now than I did then.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Tuesdays, eh? I might have to swing by there and check things out. Perhaps my luck will turn around. I'd love to get me some Kong action!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'd love to get me some Kong action!
Think I'll leave that one alone
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:laugh:
gene c said:
I should look for the Maltese Falcon. It might class up my dvd shelf. I could put it in between Drowning Mona and What's The Worst That Could Happen?
Isn't "Dude, Where's My Car?" in there somewhere? :D I think Bogie might have been in that one, too!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good luck. I hope everybody gets a big huge stack of goodies!! I was very excited when I saw King Kong. I have the Peter Jackson version but the classic oldie I only have EP on a VHS. Can't wait to view it again but on DVD this time.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Btw, watched 2 of my purchases over the weekend:
Bowfinger, which I've seen about 3 times before, causes headaches because it's so funny! Not long ago a poster on another forum said Bowfinger was the last good live action movie Murphy and Martin made, way back in 1999. It was a coincidence that Big Lots had it just days after I read that. Anyway, it sounds about right. Murphy is particularly top notch playing the geeky brother of a big action movie star. The road crossing scene is one of the funniest things I've ever seen Murphy do. ...Oh heavenly God oh heavenly God...!!! :laugh:
Stuart Little 3 was boring but mercifully short. Even at my age (40s) I can watch the first 2 films and find them heartwarming, nostalgic, etc. Fox is superb as the voice of Stuart in both of those. Plus all the effects are visually appealing and all the humor works. But this final sequel, making the series a trilogy, couldn't elevate itself above mediocrity in almost every respect ("almost every" the canoe scene with the fish is pretty good). Fox does his best with the material, but it's all just too weak. I actually liked the choice to go all animated, but it looks unfinished! When textures are used they make the scene look like a video game. There's not enough detail in the main characters, especially Stuart himself, to make it pleasant to look at. My guess is the budget here couldn't afford anything of quality and they were lucky to do what they did. Short version: the kiddies will like this you won't.My dog Scooter, who watches many movies including about 90% of Homeward Bound 2 heh heh, liked the cat and tiger but yawned when they left the screen.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
gene c said:
I should look for the Maltese Falcon. It might class up my dvd shelf. I could put it in between Drowning Mona and What's The Worst That Could Happen?.... .
:laugh:
Great film. I didn't buy it hoping there was a Special Edition out there somewhere. I nearly didn't get Kong because I know that has a tin box edition. But I figured I'd never buy that one and I crave the film a lot.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Some great Big Lot purchases (all $3):
Whoopi Goldberg: Back to Broadway. The 25th Anniversary. That's $22 below retail friends!! It's worth 3 times that at least just for the 1985 show she did. Very happy with this one! This is why I friggin love Big Lots!! :D
DC Cab. Haven't seen this in years. Can't wait!
The Sugarland Express. Early Spielberg, although not my fav...I do love Goldie Hawn enough that I named my "child" Goldie after her. :*)
Fort Apache, The Bronx. I've never seen this.
Taking these back:
Rumble Fish. It's the '98 edition. There's a better one from '05.
The Thunderbirds. That live action movie directed by Jonathan Frakes. I'd really like to see this!! But this DVD is in Full screen adn there's a widescreen all over the net for just a little more. I'll get it later.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
Saw a bunch of 2-DVD bundles for $6 each:

Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit

Children Of Men/12 Monkeys

Eternal Sunshine.../Lost In Translation

Kicking and Screaming/Cat In The Hat

8 Mile/How High

Dazed and Confused/Fast Times at Ridgemont High (old versions)

The Door In The Floor/Swimming Pool

The Break-Up/Along Came Polly

Jarhead/The Kingdom

American Pie/American Pie: Band Camp

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Casey Neutron said:
Saw a bunch of 2-DVD bundles for $6 each:
Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit
Eternal Sunshine.../Lost In Translation
I bought the Eternal Sunshine/LiT one. Nice deal! They're in widescreen too!
I didn't see Cinderella Man/Seabiscuit. I'll be in there today and look for that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Radioman970 said:
That live action movie directed by Jonathan Frakes. I'd really like to see this!! But this DVD is in Full screen adn there's a widescreen all over the net for just a little more. I'll get it later.
I bought some cool stuff on the 13th. DC Cab was terrific! Hadn't seen that in years. Made me want to see more old 80s stuff. I made a list of stuff I plan to buy.
Fort Apache, The Bronx was a little dated, with a who's who in stereotypes, but really good anyway. Like Hill Street Blues the movie.
Damn, that Whoopi Goldberg set was a freaking great deal! Glad I saw that.
I wish I'd picked up Space Jam when I saw it. :frowning: I just watched Loony Tunes Back in Action last night (which I also got from BL) and it was better than expected.
The other day I bought 9 (NINE!) Pc games from them. The next day I returned 4 and the guy looked at me funny. Haven't you ever seen a loser dude? We like our movies and games. But these suck and I want my money back! :D They were unopened so he had to comply. To be honest, I ended up trading those 4 on 4 different ones. Loser! hahahahaa!!! Big Lots=Loser HQ. They need to put in benches and those scooters with the shopping basket and we'll hang around all day like the walmart people.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
More $3 bargains found this week.

Stranger Than Fiction

Matchstick Men

Walk Hard (Theatrical Version)

Year Of The Dragon

Oh, God!

Oh, God! You Devil

Eyes Wide Shut (not SE)

Barry Lyndon

Blume In Love