What's new

Big influx of users today? (1 Viewer)

Chris Britton

Auditioning
I'm not one who posts much but I noticed something strange today and wondered if it was a coincidence, or someone purposefully trying to skew numbers to get a much wanted release. Martin Blythe posted in the Software forum regarding interest in JAG and The Sentinel TV series and if any interest existed for their release on DVD. Once you get down toward the bottom of the first page there begins a slew (more than a dozen) posts from members with female user-names, who all joined today, who are dying to get their hands on this series. This just struck me as quite odd. Many of their posts even sounded quite similar in tone and even wording.

Was this post referenced on another forum, or is this the act of someone who really really wants this series released? I wouldn't mind seeing this title come out, and would consider buying it, however I don't feel that signing up for numerous user-names and purposefully skewing the numbers to get a release is a good way of treating Mr. Blythe. He has always been supportive of this forum and is one of the few who actually care about the dvd format and listen to this membership. I'd hate to see that relationship tarnished by "fixing the election".

Anyway, just a thought and would be interested in anyone else's opinion. And of course, I'm sure Parker has access to all the IP logs and find out if this truly is a banner day for new sign-ups, or just some shenanigans

BTW, the thread is JAG and Sentinel Thread for those who are curious.

Best Regards,

Chris B

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

They are all from different IP addresses but different parts of the country so if they are the same people signing up over and over again they sure move around the country alot and very fast.

It may be that some site for JAG and The Sentinel has a link back to us regarding the thread.

Parker

Chris Britton

Auditioning
Ok, cool. I never knew The Sentinel had such a large and devoted female following.

Always good to see the membership growing :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
We have had a surge in signups these past two
days like never before. For the past 3 days we
have been averaging 90 signups per day (we regularly
average 40-50).

The shame of it all is, these people will probably
never participate here again once they have contributed
to that thread.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
The shame of it all is, these people will probably
never participate here again once they have contributed
to that thread.
But one or two may discover something here that they never realized, and so might their journey into home theater begin. And that would be a good thing, I think.

-Steve

Kat*W

Auditioning
Hello! I'm one of the Sentinel fans who didn't know of this board until yesterday. Rest assured each and every one of the posts are from different fans who want nothing more than for Paramount to release The Sentinel on DVD. I personally know a lot of these people and not just from the net but from gatherings and cons.

The Sentinel is one of the biggest fandoms on the net and we have the ability to set a large number of people into motion when the need arises. I run one of the related boards on Yahoo and there have been postings on all of the TS sites regarding this endeavor yesterday afternoon. That is why the numbers have risen since then.

It is true that a large percentage (probably more than 80%) of TS fans are women. But we have cash to spend and we want to spend it on TS.

Just as a bit of background info, when TS was canceled at the end of its third year run in 1998, fans gathered enough cash to post a full page ad in Variety (I believe that's the paper--pulling from memory here) to request that Paramount continue TS. The fans garnered enough interest to get eight final episodes to finish out the story line (commonly known as Season Four). We got clout in the entertainment world and we know how to use it.

We're as interested in our fandom as are the Trekkies, the Star Wars folks, Farscape people, etc. Yeah, TS is considered "SciFi". Well, scifi is good for you.

Anyway, we're a peaceful group (usually!) And I am very interested in the entertainment industry and all of its aspects. I'll keep an eye on this board in the future. Have a great day!

Kat*W ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

KarenJCO

Auditioning
I didn't know about this site until I learned about it on a Sentinel list I belong to. I'm having a lot of fun browsing through all the other threads and seeing what's available on the site. I'll definitely be coming back, no matter what happens with Paramount

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ladies,

I do want you to realize you are all welcome here.

Please also understand my concerns over the hundreds
of signups we have received over the past four days
from those of you coming here simply for the purpose
of voting.

I don't like to encourage any person not to register
here, but I would prefer that this board not be used
for the purpose of mass registration by individuals
who wish to vote in a thread, and never having the
inclination to return afterwards.

To be honest, if I knew there was such a huge
demand for THE SENTINEL/JAG, I would have prefered
an email on behalf of your group that I could
personally forward to Martin Blythe.

In fact....

I just got off the phone with Martin Blythe. He is
very aware of the demand and he is now looking into
the rights issues involved for a release.

Cheers!

Chimera

Auditioning
Greetings to the owner, administators and longtime members of Home Theater Forum. I too had never visited your site until yesterday, when I read about the possibility of purchasing "The Sentinel" on DVD. Non-techie that I am (and I mean SERIOUSLY non), I am nevertheless interested in home theater; I work in law enforcement here in Alabama and on my off hours I love to curl up in front of the television. I own a fairly nice home theater system, also one DVD player and two VHS recorders. I look forward to contributing to other threads here, probably asking questions, and doing lots of reading. You all seem to be quite a friendly bunch here. I'm sure I'm not alone in thanking you for this opportunity to participate in your forum.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, then, we look forward to your continued presence here. You noted HTF's friendly nature. We strongly enforce a "no-flame" rule here. So, stick around and participate in interesting discussions and take advantage of the information that's available. JB

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I can understand how much all of you want to see TS on DVD. A lot of the people here are big trekkers and when Paramount released TOS and TNG to DVD we all went nuts buying them up.

I do hope that many of you take the time to look over at the other topics that we cover here on HTF in the equipment as well as software areas.

Welcome to HTF and have fun.

Parker

Felicia W

Auditioning
Greetings and salutations, gents and ladies,

I've been crashing around the site a bit this evening. While I, too, joined in order to make my wishes known to Paramount regarding "The Sentinel" on DVD, I think this little corner of the 'Net might come in very handy in the future. Rest assured, all those new registrants are in fact different individuals, as Parker has confirmed. Some of them I recognize very well, some of them I didn't know were still in the fandom, and some of them I've never heard of before in my life. As you've seen, a large percentage of the TS fandom is female. (I've heard that that fact surprised the heck out of both TPTB and the actors when they found out.)

But I digress. I was talking about this site as a newly-found resource.

You see, while I'm the one who spends most of the time on the computer, my husband is *way* into the home theater thing. (Me, I just need to know which remote goes to which machine, and how to set up the chain of input so I can tape what I want to when I want to . . .) We have an extensive and growing collection of DVDs, and tonight I my registration became well worth my while outside of the whole TS thing: I found out that "Sunrise" is available on DVD. My husband, a nitrate film archivist for the Library of Congress, absolutely loves this film. Now I just need to figure out how to get my grubby little hands on it for him (I checked Fox's site, and it's not listed in their catalogue).

So while it might take me a while to figure out how to navigate my way around, I imagine I'll be sticking around for a while, or referring my husband to the site to find out what's coming available. I had no idea CSI was coming out on DVD . . . I wonder if he didn't tell me on purpose . . . hmmmm . . . :)

Cheers,
Felicia

Paula_Pes

Auditioning
I'm another Sentinel fan that just joined up a few days ago. To be honest, I never knew about this forum until it was mentioned that Martin was taking a poll about interest in the TS DVDs. Now that I found you I plan on sticking around. I haven't had a lot of time to look around at all the other threads but I am starting to investigate so look out for me!

Take care,

Myst

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Felicia:

Sunrise is part of a deal from Fox where if you buy three of their Fox Studio Classics you get Sunrise for free.

You may want to take a look a the review that Ron wrote up on this disc.

Also, have your husband stop by too. We have some film preservationists here on the forum most notably Robert Harris, that he might enjoy talking with.

Parker

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks