Big improvement going from Klipsch KSW-12 to SVS 25-31PCi sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Jul 17, 2002.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I'm wondering if it would be worth the money to ditch my Klipsch KSW-12 sub for the SVS 25-31PCi sub, which at $499, is the cheapest SVS makes. I've never really been satisfied with the Klipsch and hear only good things about SVS.
    What do you think?
    I can post specs if needed.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you have the money and desire, would be a no brainer to me. Big step up.

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

4. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

It will be a dramatic difference!!! I went from dual KSW-12's to a single 16-46 CS+ running off a spare amp channel (350w @ 4ohm). Although it is significantly better for HT I find the biggest difference is with music. The KSW-12s were just one note thumpers while the SVS blends in with the other speakers and actually produces music.

Good Luck, Mitch

5. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

6. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

James,
    I don't believe Jeff McNeal had that model of sub but he did recently switch from an older Klipsch to a box-stock 20-39PCi. He discussed his findings in this review.
    In the end it'll come down to your listening levels, your room and the sorts of music and movies you like.
    Generally speaking you should find the SVS a significant upgrade. You have 45 days to decide in any case.
    Ron

7. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Just to help seal your thoughts - Yes, the SVS is a better option.

8. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I also went from an older Klipsch (KSW 200 - the precursor to the KSW 12) to a 20-39PCi. The difference was quite startling. The SVS is much smoother, and the 20-39 has some really nice low extension. The SVS also has a leaner, tighter feel to it than the Klipsch.

9. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Thanks to all who responded!
    As far as shaking the windows goes, I can testify that the Klipsch already does that. I am more concerned with clean, accurate bass, than the amount of bass, if you understand what I mean.
    I have the Klipsch on spikes and sometimes I get a kind of "scratchy" sound out of it, particularly during, say, explosions in Apocolypse Now. What I want is clean, undistorted bass more than anything else.
    What about running SVS off a seperate amp? I figure it would be cheaper to by this model of SVS, with the built-in amp, but is there a less expensive way to go? Any way to power the sub using my Denon 3802? The three front channels are already running off monoblocks.
    SVS-Ron, you mean I have 45 days to decide because the "summer sale" is ending? Ulp.
    How much is it going to go up by?

10. Joe Barefoot

Joe Barefoot Stunt Coordinator

James...I just replaced my KSW12 with a 20-39 PCI. There is NO COMPARISON! Where the KSW12 did shake my windows, the sound wasn't nearly as clean. To take away the boom, the sub need to be calibrated down. With the SVS, the bass is VERY clean and tight. I have it running about 2-3 dB hot. If I went up further, the bass would still be clean, but just drown out all else. IMO, it will be the most cost effective MAJOR improvement that you can make. I don't want to speak for Ron, but what I think he means is that there is a 45 day return (try out period) policy.

Joe Barefoot

PS...and they look cool too!

11. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Right,

The summer sale will MAYBE end on or about 21 SEP (we'll review costs at that time) but I meant any customer has 45 days with the sub to determine it's all the "hype" would have you believe, if not more.

I think Joe summed up what you will experience very well.

Ron

12. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    James:
    When you get around to getting your SV Sub let me know and we can put your KSW-12 up on the used subwoofer page here on HTF.
    You are about to enter a world of powerful (but clean) bass.
    My only problem is my wife won't let me turn it up so I have to wait for them to go shopping. The only draw back to that is she spends money when she does that. [​IMG]
    Parker

13. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

14. Myram

Myram Second Unit

I went from a KSW-12 to a SVS 16-46PC and it was a night and day difference between the two.

It is definitly a no brainer....go for it. Then put your KSW-12 on ebay and make some of your money back.

15. Don Peskin

Don Peskin Stunt Coordinator

I just switched from a KSW-10 to an SVS 20-39PCi - the difference is WOW.

16. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Went from a KSW-12 to 20-39PC.

The Klipsch was loud for sure but the SVS is significantly more accurate, is quicker, tighter and goes much deeper.

The KSW-12 is quite useless for music, reason I upgraded in the first place.

However, the Klipsch was probably better in the upper bass, where the SVS kinda lacks IMO. It takes some getting used to.

Botton line: you will hear more in the explosions with the Klipsch, you will hear less and feel more with the SVS.

--
    Holadem