What's new

BIG IE 6 Problem. How do I fix it please? (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, have no idea what has happened. When I go to a particular page that normally has a Passport pop-up sign-in window, I do not get the pop-up - just a blank white browser page.

I have tried putting all my security options to low to no avail. I have turned off my Norton Antivirus 2002 and unistalled zonealarm to be sure that was not the problem. I have tried both my cable modem and dial-up to make sure it was not an ISP issue. I know that it is not a web site issue as a friend was able to get it up using IE on another computer.

I have tried to use Netscape 6.2 and I can get in with that. HOWEVER, it does not recognize the VBScript on the page I am trying to open and gives me a Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0005' Invalid procedure call or argument: 'InStr

I tried Opera but it does not understand the JAVA date input so it makes the page useless as it does not recognize the correct date input (mm-dd-yyyy).

PLEASE HELP.

I have Windows XP PRO and there is no listing for IE under Add-Remove Programs, so I don't even know how to unistall-reinstall or repair.

Thanks for any help. This is really important to me.

C. Ryan

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Very peculiar.

I would try a few things, just for fun.

Run Windows Update, make sure you're all patched up.

Download IE6 Setup (try Download.com), and see if you can download and reinstall IE6 (make sure you download any VB and Java components).

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Did you try just clearing out your cache? Maybe there is a bum page cached and it can't update it for some reason. What happens at the blank screen when you view source? Is anything there?

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I have already tried delering temporary internet files, cookies, and the history. IE6 is a part of Win Xp and it CANNOT be uninstalled. IE 5.5 will not install over it.
More info. I went to Passport.com to try and see if I could go to other Passport accessible sites and be able to sign in to one of those. No go! I cannot get the Passport Sign-in pop-up window to appear with any sites that accept Passport. However, I can sign into MS Messenger which requires a Passport sign in. Therefore, there is something wrong with my IE6 and the script that requires the Passport pop-up window to appear.
I have restored my computer using windows retore feature to no avail. Restored to a time when it worked.
I also reinstalled Win XP over my current install. Still nothing. This really sucks. All other pop-up windows that occur while browsing still appear. However, this one little Passport window will not pop-up so that I can enter this one site. :frowning:
I tell you what. I am not a MS hater, but to include a program that cannot be installed and reinstalled is just nuts. At least let me instal over it.
I guess I am looking at a complete format and install to get this one little problem fixed. I was hoping that my quarterly format and install problem would be eliminated with Win XP, but no.
Anything other information would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I am about to go IN!
C. Ryan

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
This may not be what your problem is, but I remember having a similar problem a few years back with Windows 98. What ended up being a problem for me was that I had a virus (even with running Norton).

It was pretty crazy, because even after I had formatted I was still having the weird problems. Once I deleted the partition though, the problems went away. Damn virus' that reside in the MBR.

I'm not saying that this is what your problem is, but it *may* be a possibility.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I had the exact same problem on my XP box not that long ago. The only way I found to fix it was to reinstall XP. Like you I tried all the security settings etc to no avail.

Glen_L

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt this is the problem, as other pop-ups work, but it's worth checking. Go to Internet Options->Security->Custom Level (this is on Windows 2000, may be a bit different in XP).

From there, look at your settings and try Enabling things that may otherwise keep the window from opening. Especially make sure the options under Scripting are enabled.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I have not run into this problem but my suggestion, assuming that you have not already done this, would be to perform an exhaustive search in the MS knowledge base. The KB has almost always had a fix for me in the past.

Thanks,

Jeff

CRyan

Screenwriter
Ok guys. Thanks for all the help! I looked extensively at the MS knowledge base with no help. I ended up calling the MS IE help line - free exept for the toll number. No help there either. He said that there had been one other report of an XP user with the same problem. No matter as they had no idea as to what to do.

So I had to do a complete reinstall to get that one friggin thing back up. Good grief! It really pissed me off that the new and improved system restore feature in XP did not work. I guess I need to dig out Norton Ghost and finally figure out how to use that stupid thing. Ahh well.

I suppose this would not have happened if Passport was not BUILT INTO XP. I was not even aware that XP saves your Passport accounts in its own little folder accessible through user accounts.

Now it is done and I am back to 100%.

Thanks again,

C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks