Big headphone plug

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sacha_C, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

I just noticed that most, if not all of the receivers use the big earphone plugs. Why don't they use the standard miniplugs? I havent seen any earphones that use the big plug in years!

Thanks

2. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

It is a hold-over from the early days of "hi-fi" when much of the equipment for home/hobby use was adapted from professional equipment. Recording studio and broadcast equipment typically used the 1/4 inch plug, (and still do), so it was only natural that units made for home use would too.

That was the "standard" on all audio equipment until relatively recently when the size/form factor for portability became important in the consumer market. Today, aside from being "the way it has always been done", it kind of gives home components a "professional" look even if it is a pain in the you-know-what to have to deal with a plug adapter and nothing else about the unit is pro-oriented.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Burke nailed it, as usual. [​IMG]
    There may be another issue – durability. I don’t think those mini jacks are nearly as robust as the ¼” variety. I’ve seen the minis fail in portable CD players and the like. Never seen a ¼” jack fail.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt