What's new

Big Head Todd and the Monsters Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Anyone here else dig these guys? I absolutely love them and feel they are an incredibly underrated band. I was listening to "Sister Sweetly" (how can you beat 'Circle' and 'Bittersweet'?) all the way back in college (early 90's) and got the latest release "Riviera" delivered from BMG yesterday. This album is great. They have a very unique style of rock combined with bluesy elements. They may be the ultimate driving band...just stick the CD in your car changer, put the windows (or top) down and just drive!

Plus, the recording quality on most of their releases is top notch...real meaty bass with great separation and tonal quality. I haven't been able to dissern if the latest release is recorded as well as some of the previous releases, but upon first spin it seems pretty close.

Wondering if there was anyone out there who really digs this ultra-cool band?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i like them a lot, but don't know if i can totally rave over them. their best stuff, like bittersweet or broken hearted savior(my favorite of his solos) is incredible, but there's some fairly mediocre stuff there too. but i'll keep buying their stuff.

i first got into them because fat tire journal, a weekly tv show about mountainbiking, used bittersweet in their end credits, the guitar solo part, and it just floored me, but i never knew who did it. and then i heard a live show on the radio, and they played that song, and i found out the band was big head todd, so i went out and bought some of their stuff.

the live album is pretty good, bass that bottomed my speakers in places. again, troubled by some weaker stuff, but the high points are truly high.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I dig "Live Monsters," particularly "Vincent of Jersey" and their cover of "Boom Boom".

Is there also a studio version of the cover?

--AM

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Angelo, the studio version of "Boom Boom" is on the album "Beautiful World"

Rob-Gr

Agent
Hey Evan, I hate to be that guy, but there is no degree of uniqueness. So when you said a very unique rock sound or whatever, you were wrong. It is either a unique sound or not. If it is unique, it is unlike any other sound. It can't be kind of unlike any other sound. Catch my drift? Ok, sorry I had to say that, but it just bugs me when people use the word unique that way.
Rob

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Rob, name me one band right now that sounds like Big Head Todd? If you can't (and I doubt you can), then the description fits.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Anyone here else dig these guys? I absolutely love them and feel they are an incredibly underrated band. I was listening to "Sister Sweetly" (how can you beat 'Circle' and 'Bittersweet'?) all the way back in college (early 90's) and got the latest release "Riviera" delivered from BMG yesterday. This album is great. They have a very unique style of rock combined with bluesy elements. They may be the ultimate driving band...just stick the CD in your car changer, put the windows (or top) down and just drive!
I saw them in 1992 in Chicago at the Riviera! It was love at first hear. Seriously, If you have not seen them live,,,,RUN to the nearest venue! They rock! I have manage to see them about 5 times and always a great act.
Circle is my favorite jam.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have a big head cd. i got it many years ago.
i really forgot i even had it.
i'll have to dif it out.

what was the song from that one.......
broken hearted loser? or something like that?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Bringing this thread back from the dead. Was wondering if anyone had picked up the new BHT Crimes of Passion cd released today? I've always liked their older stuff, but the prior release, Riviera, was my favorite. May have to go buy this new one blind.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
In a rush to get Norah's new one, I probably blew right by BHTM's new release. I must say that based on the last one (Riviera), I'm not expecting too much. I really thought that one blew which was disappointing because I really enjoy most of their stuff. My favorites have always been Sister Sweetly, Beautiful World and Strategem (in that order). However, after just reading the review in the link below (which strangely gets an AMG "pick" but only receives 3 stars out of 5), I may have to get it after all.
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...=A8orb28ol05na

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Love these guys!! I just wish more people appreciated good music!

On a side note, one time I saw them on Jenny Jones. What the hell, got to get airplay anyway you can eh?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Ron, I felt the same way you did about Riviera at 1st. But that album grew on me after a couple of listens. I stopped by one of the BB stores earlier to pick up COP, but they hadn't gotten any yet. Will have to try another one after work.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Wow, my thread is back to life. I had no idea they had a new release out today. I'll definately have to pick it up.

As for Riviera....I think it's their best record...honestly. I love that disc.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
"As for Riviera....I think it's their best record...honestly. I love that disc."
I'll have to check this one out again as I thought it was their weakest to date. Could not hear the BHTM that I thought I knew. In fact I could not get into it at all. A sad day for me for sure. The new disc's review sounds great. Can't wait to pick it up.
I was going to go to Des Moines, IA to check out their show 2-14 but the lady didn't think that was a good idea:frowning: .
I've seen them 6 times, the last being the worst show so..... To bad really. They've moved away from their roots and I think the tree is going to die if they don't take a look at where there going. Hopefully the new disc will put my worries to rest as they are one of the few bands that I look forward to a release from.
Another note: Check this out for some free BHTM:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-d...db.php?id=3481
I think this is a great show and decent quality.
The rest of the shows can be found here:
http://www.archive.org/audio/etreeli...06a8c78b2a2e80
Any others have live shows they would be willing to trade for?
I have a decent collection of live shows from a variety of artists if anyone is interested in trading.
Chet

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have to say that the quality of recording on this disc is awefull! I thought Riviera was also bad, but not this bad! I have only listened once, but I had to quickly put in the new Norah Jones to make sure my sytem was working properly:eek: I will give it more of a listen if my ears let me.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I was afraid of that Dan. I noticed as well that the quality on Riviera was pretty bad, but I could handle it as I thought the music was great. Still debating on weather or not to pick this one up. The local paper here gave it a decent review as well.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Riviera made using some sort of solar recording equipment??? If my memory serves me correctly, I remember reading something like that in the liner notes. Maybe that's the reason why the sonics are sub par.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks