Big fonts for new members?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Mar 16, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I've noticed a curious thing.
    Check out this post here. It's got fonts a mile high.
    I've noticed on several occasions where someone posts an otherwise seeming-to-be casual statement or question, but the font is super-big, making it look like he's shouting. On purpose.
    That's how some of the responses took it in this thread.
    But this guy, like on the other occassions I've seen, is a new member to the group. Always post counts below 5!
    They get straightened out pretty quick. After much of being cursed at, they either leave here because we're rude about their "yelling" or else they figure out how to adjust, probably with help from a few of us.
    What I was wondering was whether or not there's something in common with these newbies? Maybe they're all on Macs or all using WebTV or AOl, or have some customer setup on a package deal from Dell or something.
    What I am proposing is that the mods be on the lookout for these instances, and ask these new users a few questions about it so that we can determine if there's an underlying cause to why this happens with some new members.
    Also, maybe if the mods catch it quick enough we can head off some of the intolerance I see about it (which I have been guilty of myself, I must admit). Maybe we can all learn to be a little more tolerant of the new guys, and not be so quick to assume they're doing this on purpose!

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    The problem is that people sign up and pick the font they want to use and put in the point size for the font instead of the font size as they should.

The description for putting in a font size says:

3. David Lambert

Thank you Parker! I presume it was you who changed Raghu's note that I linked to.
    The explanation makes all kinds of sense. So, it's not an incompatability, just folks skimming the notes and not absorbing them. Gotcha.
    Well, it's still not intentional and all; perhaps we members can still show more tolerance for the situation. It's a semi-honest mistake, and we've all made those. I know I'm on-track if I make 3 or 4 of 'em a day! [​IMG]
    Thanks for fixing it up. Since I'm pointing out shortcomings, I'll mention that the passage you quote should say "too big", instead of "to big". [​IMG] But I feel awkward even mentioning it, considering the big help you've just been to me, both here and elsewhere.
    Thanks again for everything!

4. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    John:

I changed this guys font size. Not him. Many people sign up to the forum and use a font size that is based on point size. So when they use an 11 or 12 font size it comes out rather large. If anyone points this out to me I change their default font size and edit the posts that they have made.

David:

I changed the to to too. How is that for sentence?

Parker

6. David Lambert

Parker, that's a heck of a sentence! [​IMG] Thanks for all the help.
    John, as I mentioned in the other thread, I wasn't speaking to either of the posts responding to Raghu as being rude or anything...I was talking of prior experiences. Raghu's situation merely brought the other ones to mind, so that I was prompted to try to help out the HTF in general.
    Yes, I do have a flair for the dramatic, though! Just ask my wife. [​IMG]