Big Fat Shame on Universal

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Skeen, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I'm absolutely disgusted that Universal has taken a giant step backwards and put out "Big Fat Liar", a brand-new movie in pan and scan, without even a separate widescreen release. They had done this with a few titles earlier, but these were all released on laserdisc in widescreen, and I did not buy a DVD player until studios at least put out all their new titles in widescreen.
    Now laserdiscs are no longer being made, and they decided that this movie doesn't deserve a widescreen DVD release, so that means I don't get to see this movie at all. What's mind-boggling is that they did put DTS sound and TWO commentary tracks on this, which I doubt anyone who would choose to watch a pan-and-scan movie is going to appreciate.

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I was going to buy this one, but Universal really screwed the pooch hard on this one. I hope they are reading this and I hope they realize this lame-brain decision has cost them money.

3. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

My son saw BFL in the theater and really enjoyed it. I was CERTAIN I'd buy it when it came out 'cause me and him have the same taste in movies. [​IMG]
    Much to my dismay, I will not be seeing this movie. I MAY put it in my rental queue at Netflix, but there will always be 20 or so movies in their OAR before it.
    Looks like we BOTH lose Universal.

4. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I saw it with my kid and enjoyed it. However, as to the DVD, I'll not buy a P&S to play on my 16x9 set!

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Universal, I don't like the bars that are on the sides of my 16x9 screen. I think I am loosing something. [​IMG]

6. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Michael
    I didn't even bother renting this DVD.

When someone figures out how studio execs think, please let me know because this duel release/WS only/PS only back and forth without rhyme or reason stuff is somewhat confusing.

7. JayB

JayB Extra

this was a good movie. the audience LOVED it. give us OAR puleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Get ready for the future. Studios no longer consider us at the HTF as a viable consumer group.

9. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Then they should give us back LASERDISC!