What's new

Big Fall 2019 DVD Releases? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

It's August. Does anyone have any guesses on what might (if any) be the Big Fall 2019 DVD/Blu Ray/4K Holiday releases? You know, back in the day, some studies put out some series sets with a great deal of extras.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu Ray
Chicago Hope Boxed Set
Bonanza season 10?
Green Hornet Blu Ray
Next season of Peyton Place

Something special from Warner Brothers Archives?

Any guesses? Any thoughts? Or are we now in the post DVD era, where there are no "big" holiday releases?

James

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Just get lucky, and hope something surprising comes along.

Otherwise, nothing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Remember, in the "good ol' days," when Big Boxed Sets came out in the fall, right before the Christmas season. The Adam West Batman collection, the Time Life stuff, sigh . . . . Remember when.

I took a pic ages ago (which is probably lost to Photobucket) of the October 2014 releases I picked up together... Batman on Blu, The Wonder Years in a locker, and WKRP. That was a hell of a month.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I took a pic ages ago (which is probably lost to Photobucket) of the October 2014 releases I picked up together... Batman on Blu, The Wonder Years in a locker, and WKRP. That was a hell of a month.

WOW that's really going back for me. I used to use that site throughout high school back in the mid 2000's.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If we're talking about a big box set, I suspect these days it might just be repackaging old inventory into a box.

Some long running tv shows which had all their seasons releases already, but no giant complete series box set yet:

- Simon & Simon
- NYPD Blue
- Kojak
- Adam-12
- Dragnet 1967-1970
- Quincy ME

- Castle
- Scandal
- Last Vegas

If they don't use a box, the lazy ass way is to just wrap all the season sets together with saran wrap and masking tape. Awhile ago I picked up a 9-disc ren and stimpy "almost complete" series set which had the three pevious released dvd sets wrapped together in plastic saran wrap and masking tape.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm expecting the complete boxed set of all 14 seasons of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet to be released. Surely Sam has that at the manufacturer's plant right now being pressed. Blu-rays of course.

Gary "only a dream, but still the series I want the most" O.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
If we're talking about a big box set, I suspect these days it might just be repackaging old inventory into a box.

Some long running tv shows which had all their seasons releases already, but no giant complete series box set yet:

- Simon & Simon
- NYPD Blue
- Kojak
- Adam-12
- Dragnet 1967-1970
- Quincy ME

I agree, the trend these days from the big studios is releasing budget priced complete series sets of series that have previously been released. Interesting, the shows you have listed were all released by Shout! Factory- they don't typically release complete series sets of series they originally released as individual seasons so I don't expect them to release complete series sets of any of those series. I would like to see a Simon & Simon CS set as the individual seasons are quite expensive but I don't see it happening from Shout!- anyone know when their rights deal expires? How long do these deals typically last as they have had the rights for a long time- they released season 2 in 2009. Hopefully Universal will re-release this series once the rights revert back to them.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I agree, the trend these days from the big studios is releasing budget priced complete series sets of series that have previously been released. Interesting, the shows you have listed were all released by Shout! Factory- they don't typically release complete series sets of series they originally released as individual seasons so I don't expect them to release complete series sets of any of those series. I would like to see a Simon & Simon CS set as the individual seasons are quite expensive but I don't see it happening from Shout!- anyone know when their rights deal expires? How long do these deals typically last as they have had the rights for a long time- they released season 2 in 2009. Hopefully Universal will re-release this series once the rights revert back to them.

I suspect even when the Shout Factory's licensing contracts with Universal expires, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal still doesn't give a damn about these shows when it comes to dvd.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I would like to see a Simon & Simon CS set as the individual seasons are quite expensive but I don't see it happening from Shout!-
Nick, have you checked the prices for the Simon & Simon season sets lately? Shout gave up on the "Shout Direct Exclusives" thing quite awhile ago. They re-released seasons 5, 6, 7, and 8 at much reduced prices over the last few years. The season 5 set also has the 1994 reunion movie. Amazon and other web dealers further discount those prices, of course. I completed my own Simon & Simon collection when those re-releases became available around 2016-17. I previously purchased seasons 1 to 4 at much higher initial prices before 2013. But in browsing Amazon recently, I see the Shout sets for seasons 2 to 4 have also since been seriously discounted, so perhaps Shout quietly ran another production run or are moving old stock out of their warehouse. The first season Universal set is usually quite affordable. Don't neglect considering buying these sets used, as I have had mostly very positive experiences in buying quality used DVD sets for great prices. For a lot of out of print releases, it's the only way.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm expecting the complete boxed set of all 14 seasons of The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet to be released. Surely Sam has that at the manufacturer's plant right now being pressed. Blu-rays of course.

Gary "only a dream, but still the series I want the most" O.
I hear he also acquired the lost Dumont library and will be releasing it in 4K! Sadly, there seems to be about as much chance of that happening...

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I suspect even when the Shout Factory's licensing contracts with Universal expires, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal still doesn't give a damn about these shows when it comes to dvd.

Unfortunately, you are probably right that they likely won't re-release them- wishful thinking on my part. :)

Nick, have you checked the prices for the Simon & Simon season sets lately? Shout gave up on the "Shout Direct Exclusives" thing quite awhile ago. They re-released seasons 5, 6, 7, and 8 at much reduced prices over the last few years. The season 5 set also has the 1994 reunion movie. Amazon and other web dealers further discount those prices, of course. I completed my own Simon & Simon collection when those re-releases became available around 2016-17. I previously purchased seasons 1 to 4 at much higher initial prices before 2013. But in browsing Amazon recently, I see the Shout sets for seasons 2 to 4 have also since been seriously discounted, so perhaps Shout quietly ran another production run or are moving old stock out of their warehouse. The first season Universal set is usually quite affordable. Don't neglect considering buying these sets used, as I have had mostly very positive experiences in buying quality used DVD sets for great prices. For a lot of out of print releases, it's the only way.

Hey Flashgear,

I actually picked up s5 from an Amazon seller around the time the re-release first came out for around $20. I also managed to snag s4 from a store that sells used DVD's for $27. I have not checked Amazon lately but last time I did each season was selling for over $40 which is more than I am willing to pay. I was thinking of picking up S2 & S3 but cannot find them for a decent price ($20-30 per season is the budget I set), not sure if I want s6-8 as from what I have read show declined a bit in its final seasons- is that true?!

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
not sure if I want s6-8 as from what I have read show declined a bit in its final seasons- is that true?!
Simon & Simon is one of my favorite '80s shows, I only collect a select few series from that decade as my biggest interest is in much older '50s to '60s TV shows. I know a lot of fans think Simon & Simon tailed off in quality in the latter 3 seasons, but I'm not one of them. The show was fading in the ratings toward the end of season 6, but it was up against ratings powerhouse The Cosby Show and Family Ties, and that was the last full season with 22 episodes. The 7th season premiere was held back to December of 1987 and has only 16 episodes. The 8th and final season has 13 episodes. Personally, I think the height of the series were season 2 to season 5, but I wouldn't do without those last several seasons as there are still several great episodes and plenty of entertaining ones too. Season 1 is good too, but the show took awhile to really find it's groove. In the earlier seasons it probably benefited from having Magnum P.I. as a lead-in, but Simon & Simon was moved to a different night to go up against Cosby in season 6.

It really pays to check for used sets frequently on Amazon Marketplace sellers or wherever you go online for used sets. They can come and go fast and availability is always changing. You might luck out at pawn shops too, which often also sell online.

Last edited:

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Hoping for the one release I sincerely hope will be happening in the not too distant future...Empty Nest, The Complete Series.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Keeping in mind streaming availability is irrelevant in a discussion about physical media, three of the shows I wanted completed the most have had bad news related to them this year either because of negative publicity for its cast members (Silver Spoons, St. Elsewhere) or archival crises (Knots Landing), so I'll be shocked to see any of those. Universal didn't get very far trying to tie Baretta: S1 into Robert Blake's murder trial. I've given up playing guessing games and looking into crystal balls that don't provide anything but the most cryptic hints to releases that may or may not happen. I'm sure there'll be something, but I guess it'll be business as usual: fewer new releases of old shows, more MODs of current shows, and more remasters of already released shows.

Hoping for the one release I sincerely hope will be happening in the not too distant future...Empty Nest, The Complete Series.

I'd like to see that, and unlike shows that stall after one or two years when their best episodes are yet to come, you can't claim poor sales for a show that's never been released. That they need to just go ahead and do a box set of the whole enchilada because they know the post-Kristy McNichol years would see a drop in sales. Towards the end of its NBC run, it was pulling lower numbers than Golden Palace pulled on CBS against Family Matters on ABC (which they now have owned for longer than they had a Sunday night show on NBC to begin with)! Disney has already shown a willingness to license both Disney- and non-Disney-branded content they own, which makes it all the more surprisng they or somebody wouldn't have even at least tried season 1 by now.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Dear Guys:

It's August. Does anyone have any guesses on what might (if any) be the Big Fall 2019 DVD/Blu Ray/4K Holiday releases? You know, back in the day, some studies put out some series sets with a great deal of extras.

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Blu Ray
Chicago Hope Boxed Set
Bonanza season 10?
Green Hornet Blu Ray
Next season of Peyton Place

Something special from Warner Brothers Archives?

Any guesses? Any thoughts? Or are we now in the post DVD era, where there are no "big" holiday releases?

James
Maybe unhappily ever after
the steve harvey show
chicago hope no boxed set,just complete season sets only
voyage to the bottom of the sea rerelease tsod sets.
paradise seasons 2-3
head of the class season 5
please don't eat the daisies
sid &marty kroft television classics,includes hr pufnstuf,land of the lost,sigmund,etc.
short lived aaron spelling soaps,includes models inc.savannah,pacific palisades.central park west.
lassie
young americans
saved the tnt drama stars tom everett scott.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks