What's new

Big DVD Audio Titles from Warner (1 Viewer)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's something I've been wondering about:

To establish dvd-audio better, would it be better to issue albums that are intensely liked by a small number of fans that FOR SURE would buy them (sort of like Grateful Dead or Dave Matthews fans)?

or.....

Continue releasing older classic stuff just mildly liked by many people when it came out, but aren't really into music all that much (newspaper-reading music types) and wouldn't pay $18 for a disc of stuff they've heard fifty times before?

Because I'm getting the feeling from people here and in other forums that dvd-audio adopters aren't just casual music people but people that really get into their favorite artist's work. Extreme example: a dvd-audio of "Smooth Jazz-Greatest Hits" would sell miserably but one from Tool would sell decently & consistently.

My vote goes to the intensely-liked option.

Unfortunately, I think the bean counters at the record companies pray at the Alter Of The Shareholder and won't take any risks anymore, and wouldn't allow this to happen. :frowning:

LJ

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Unfortunately, I think the bean counters at the record companies pray at the Alter Of The Shareholder and won't take any risks anymore, and wouldn't allow this to happen.
Actually taking risks has been shown to generate the highest returns for shareholders according to McKinsey and BCG. Also, the shareholders have been taken to the cleaners by entertainment stocks. Look at the AOL Time Warner bloodbath, for instance.

By the way, as a capitalist one has to agree that "praying at the alter of the shareholder" is the only correct and moral thing to do. The shareholders contributed the capital so they matter more than the consumer as long as the sales keep rolling...

Bottom line: something different must happen. :)

Peter_A

Second Unit
Yeah, but these are great catalog titles. New releases day and date will happen later
Yeah super. I'm 25 and catalog titles for me are Nirvana, Alice In Chains, Soungarden, early RATM, NIN etc. So when are they going to release those types of "catalog" titles?

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Even for the artists that have been released on DVD-A, generally it is not their best works - "Homecoming"? "Fragile"? Where is "Murmur"? "Close to the Edge"?

(Admittedly, Rumors and Hotel California probably represent the peak of those artists, but this seems to be the exception. And I've heard those songs too often to bother buying another copy of those titles, no matter how good the fidelity.)

Of course it is all a matter of taste, but I can't help but think the upcoming DVD-A of Pet Sounds represents the first "home run" for DVD-Audio (which would be ironic since to its creator, it is and always will be in mono.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks