Big difference in analog/digital CD connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Jun 26, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

I noticed a HUGE difference yesterday when playing around with the system. My current CD (older Kenwood 5-disk)player is hooked in through the analog RCA connection. I put the same disk in the PS2 (using optical digital connection), turned the volume to the same setting, and the difference blew me away. Much louder, cleaner, tighter, and generally better sounding in every aspect. The sub was definately making it's presence known, whereas before it was generally just the mains, with a little puff from the sub every now and then.
    Question: Where is the big difference? Is it the player, the connection, or a combination of both? Do most new CD players have digital connections as well as analog? How are most people connecting them? Any advice on a reasonably priced (

2. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

You are using the DAC in your receiver instead of the DAC (digital audio converter) in the CD player. If you have a decent receiver it's DAC is probably better than the CD players.

Most new CD players have digital outputs. They are all the same if you are using your receivers digital input and DACs (some will argue that the transport matters - probably not in your case).