Big Center Channel with small surrounds?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Derek H, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Derek H

Derek H Agent

Jan 12, 2004
    This is my current setup on a small/med sized room: Paradigm 70 CT series (3.5 inch drivers) with a Energy 8 inch Sub, Panny SA-XR25.

Im finding that the center channel is lacking depth. I was thinking of getting a Paradigm center possibly CC-170 (5.5 inch drivers) and moving the old center channel to the back to make a 6.1 setup.

What are the pros and cons with this setup? do you think that the new center wont match well? or will the larger center overpower the other smaller surround speakers?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks Derek.
  2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Aug 19, 2002
    As long as the center is timbre matched to your current setup (your dealer or the manufacturer can tell you this), you should be alright. As far as the larger center "overpowering" the rest, you have to calibrate the system to prevent this. You have calibrated the system using test tones and a SPL meter? If not, your center "lacking depth" may be due to calibration, not a weak center (often the center is the most out of wack in an uncalibrated system). If you have not calibrated or are unsure what it is, look under "Calibration" in the HTF Primer/FAQ listed here: