What's new

Big CD collections and Mega changers (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I guess I have 1000+cds and 2 200 megachangers and a 300 DVD/CD with about 150 cds in it. So basically half of my collection are in changers.
I have playing around with the cds trying to find the best way of storing them (i.e knowing where things are without searching)
I ended up with
#1 200) 1950s,60s & 70s
#2 200) 80s & 90s
#3 DVD) Country Blues Jazz & Classical
This seems to be ok but what gets me is what to store and what to leave out for the car etc.
for instance I have over 50cds of the beatles & solos.
I put them in chronilogical order by original release date.
Only problem is, listening for a few hours you tend to get a lot of songs repeated over & over . The album, single , greatest hits, anthology & BBC sessions all might have the same (or slight variation of) song....the thing I most hate about radio; playing the same song over & over...I was doing it to myself! What I am getting to;has anyone encountered this and found a good solution / rule etc?
Thanks for any suggestions!
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
I plan on copying all of my CD collection with my CD burner and keeping the copies in the mega-changer. I already have done this for the changer carts in the car. Blank CDs and burners are so cheap these days and you don't have the wear and tear on your originals. Works for me. -Wes

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Ditto....
It was a bitch when I first set up the thing initially even though I don;t really have a large collection (just 200 CDs) but then over a few weekends, burned them all, put the copies in the cases and they are the ones that go into the car and on walks with me.
After the inital setup, it's a breeze! Every time I buy a few new CDs...make a copy....put original in carousel copy in the car....and now I laugh when wife or friend sits on one! Takes no time at all and a great way to keep your collection pristine!
If you want to keep the cases free of scratches, then just get a bunch of wallets and keep the "every day" Cds in there!
(That last thing may sound a little anal....but I'm a vinyl guy.....LPs not clothing, by the way)
wink.gif

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
This seems like the way to go. I got a burner for xmas but have not had a lot of time to use it. Been using it mainly to get some cassete tapes on to cd (trying to rid myself of that format).
I've heard you can put text on the cds that the megachangers can read....I better figure out that feature!
So Manny, have you been putting your vinyl on CD??
I saw a schematic in a electronics magazine which allows the auto track feature from analog sources to work and increment the track number without sitting there for hours. It's been years since I've built anything other than a cable but it's tempting since it can't be bought?!?!
Thanks
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I've gone the MP3 route (both for the car and the home). I'll pull out the CDs when I want to sit and listen critically but for the most part I use MP3 (background music, etc.).
Greg

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Greg,
I think MP3 works great for the car...2 Cds replace an entire front seat full of CDRs! I have not gotten around to replacing the head unit yet, but soon...
I don't know about the home though....although I've never really listened to MP3 through a good home system...so who knows? Can't sound worse than the carousel ....(I've got a lo-fi changer...Sony CDX-350)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Grant...sounds like an interesting project...I have not tried the LP to CD thing yet...I'm still in the process of dialing the whole analog system in....but maybe in the future...it's not like I have one of those in-dash LP players like they had in the 50s!

Users who are viewing this thread