What's new

Big Buying Binge: Opinions needed on what to keep/return (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
o.k.
i wouldn't have bought any of these if i wasn't interested in them, but i've just bought so much stuff lately i'm going to have to take some of this stuff back.
here's the list;

The Onion Field
Children's Hour
Flirting
Maltese Falcon
World Of Henry Orient
Man Who Wasn't There
Outer Limits season 1
Horror Of Dracula
Sunset Boulevard
To Catch A Theif
Roman Holiday
No Way To Treat A Lady
Doctor Zhivago
Picnic
Birthday Girl

out of all of these, Flirting, TCAT, and SB are the only ones i've seen and it's been a while for all of them.
so, what do you think is worth keeping.
i'm looking for both quality of content, and also quality transfers

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
The only one of these I own is Sunset Boulevard and the transfer and dvd are GREAT! Keep that one, as for the others....I don't know how good the transfers are as I haven't seen the dvd but I love The Maltese Falcon, Doctor Zhivago, and The Man Who Wasn't There

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I would say these should be keepers for content and transfers.

Outer Limits season 1
Sunset Boulevard
Roman Holiday
Doctor Zhivago

AndyW

Agent
Of the listed dvds, i have the Outer Limits season 1 set and I love it. The stories are very good and the picture is great.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'd definitely return Birthday Girl. Unless you're a diehard Nicole Kidman fan, the movie isn't worth a repeat viewing.

Hang on to Sunset Boulevard, Roman Holiday, and The Maltese Falcon as they're keepers.

Doctor Zhivago is probably a keeper. Still, I'd take it back and try to rent it somewhere.

Picnic is okay, but I can't imagine wanting to watch it more than once. I say ditch it.

To Catch a Thief is really for Hitchcock completists as it doesn't represent his best work. If you're not a big Hitch fan, take it back.

Returning The Outer Limits (which does feature a nice transfer) will net you a nice chunk of change. Unless you really dig Twilight Zone-type shows, get rid of it.

The Man Who Wasn't There is really for Coen fans (as are most of their movies). If you're not one, kiss it bye bye!

Can't comment on the others as I've either not seen them or haven't seen them in a long time.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Of those titles how many can you honestly say that you'll expect to watch more than once over the next six months? I applied that rule to my new titles and purchases dropped way off. Now I spend more time watching the stuff I already have rather than rushing to be first in line to claim yet another movie that I haven't even seen.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Paul,

You didn't happen to pick those all up at Circuit City in San Bernardino, CA yesterday did you? That list looks an awful lot like the stack that the man I spoke with at that store had in his hands. He had at least 12 DVDs in his hands when I last saw him and headed to the cashier. He had also mentioned that he had been buying too many DVDs lately.

If that wasn't you, that's one heck of a coincidence.

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Steve that you should return Birthday Girl. It's just not a very good movie.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Todd, that was my freakish doppelganger you bumped into.
i'm on the other coast.

thanks for the replies.
so nobody liked the Birthday Girl, huh?
i picked it up for about $10 new and being a NK fan, and intrigued by the synopsis, i'll probably be keeping this one.

Carl, i use something like that criteria, except mine is 'if i think i will EVER watch it again'.
i rarely watch a movie more than once in a 6-12 month period, but i have plenty of stuff from over a year ago that i'm looking forward to returning to.
the other thing is, i recycle ALOT of stuff.
if i really foresee no enthusiasm for ever watching something again, it gets ebay'd ...quick.
still, that can be a pain in the neck, and it would be better to just not buy it in the first place.
i pay for the privilige of owning briefly, but i really hate being time-constrained by renting.

Ruth_F

Stunt Coordinator
the other thing is, i recycle ALOT of stuff.
I do the same thing with books and movies --- but I don't bother with ebay, I have a local used bookstore that trades you for cash or for better value store credit. so i just use it for credit to buy more --- i know i know it is a vicious cycle.

from what i've heard you have to be a TRUE BLUE NK fan to enjoy birthday girl, it was made well before Moulin Rouge and was finally released because of that and her popularity last year due to MR & the Others.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
The Onion Field is a great movie. I can't speak of the transfer of the DVD. I bought it recently but I haven't had a chance to see it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks