Big Brother experience at the ice cream parlor today

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
There is a fancy ice cream place across the street from where I work. I won't mention the name, but it's the one where you overpay (like $4 for a small) and you get to have fix'ins mixed in, etc.

I went with a co-worker...she's a loyal customer and goes about once every two weeks - she also will go and get one of their pints (which is almost $10) and takes it home on a Friday, etc.

Anyways, she only wanted a kid's size because she just wanted a little and the small's are expensive (at $4). So she tells the woman she wants a kid's size - The woman says "We can only give kid's sizes to kids."

My co-worker was like "Huh?" and said "Ok, give it to me to-go...it's for my kid...I have a picture if you need to see it..." and she starts to pull a photo out of her wallet

The woman said "No, that's ok" and starts to make a kids size.

So, as we're paying, the phone rings...The woman (who works there) answers it and starts arguing with the person on the other end. She finally said something like "Ok, let me go!!!" - she hangs up and (in disgust) under her breath (but loud enough for us to hear), she says: "Ugh! My manager is on my case about giving you a kids size."

I stopped and was confused...I said "That was your manager on the phone???"

She says: "Yeah, he was giving me grief for selling you guys a kids size."

I was like "Ummm, how did he know????"

She points to the camera (mounted to the ceiling) and says: "He watches us on video."

Oh My GOD!!! WTF!?!?!?

When my co-worker heard this (being the 'take no shit' kind of person she is), she walks over to the camera and pulls out a photo of her son and yells:

IT'S FOR MY KID! THIS KID IN THE PHOTO DIPSHIT!!!!

I was dying! I was SO in shock about the incident that it freaked me out!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Good one Brett!

The kid size serving for kids only is pretty standard practice, but doing your best to not sell anything and alienate customers is...stupid.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
that's great what she yelled, i hope he heard her.

i'm all for video cameras in public places to help fight crime, but if you're a business, you should clearly state that you have on-site cameras. if i found out the way you did, i'd not go to that place again, and let the owner know why.

CJ

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I have a coupon for the same overpriced ice cream chain. It makes the medium somewhat reasonable at $2:50 per person if you split the cost with a friend....

I'll have to look for cameras the next time...

Jay

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I decided not to go there again when one of their coupons turned out to be misleading. Yes, they're overpriced.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't sure if it was against the rules to post the name, but it's Cold Stone.

I appologize if this was not ok to do.

p.s. I will add that their ice cream is the BEST! It's expensive, but it's kind of worth the money...

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Excerpt from the phone conversation...

[Woman] (answering phone): Yes.

[Boss]: A-B-C.

[Woman]: What?

[Boss]: Always Be Closing.

[Woman]: But she...

[Boss]: Your name is "you're wanting", and you can't play the man's game, you can't close them, and then tell your wife your troubles. 'Cause only one thing counts in this world: get them to sign on the line which is dotted. You hear me you fuckin' faggots?

[Woman]: Who are you talking to?

[Boss]: Fuck you. That's my name.

[Woman]: I don't understand...

[Boss]: You know why, mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight, I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. *That's* my name.

[Woman]: I drive a Subaru.

[Boss]: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize?

[Holds up prize]

Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.

[Woman]: Nobody said anything about a contest.

[Boss]: Get out there - you got the prospects coming in. You think they came in to get out of the rain? A guy don't walk on the lot lest he wants to buy. They're sitting out there waiting to give you their money. Are you gonna take it? Are you man enough to take it?

[Woman]: OK, let me go!!!

Brad

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Sounds like this guy was on some kind of power / ego trip.
  1. Ask to talk to the manager
  2. Remind him that he is overhead and does nothing to add to the value of the product or services. He is supposed to support people dealing with the customers.
  3. Ask him where does the money in his paycheck come from?
  4. Apologize to the lady taking the order for misleading her.
  5. Look for a "Satisfaction Guaranteed" sign and ask for your money back. He ruined your happy ice cream eating experience.
The next time his boss is talking to him about sales, hopefully he will remember how he lost a sale & had to throw away good product.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I told my co-worker: "If you don't write an email to the corporation, I WILL!!!!"

I just talked to her and she said she hadn't written the email yet, but that she will "...wait until I see the owner"

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Whoah! Definitely contact the superiors. Must be tough for people who've got kids at home that can't go out. I'd do it again and YouTube it this time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I would have given him both fingers and mouthed a "fuck you" for good measure.

--
H

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I don't like Cold Stone. I think their ice cream is too sweet. There's a Ben & Jerry's just a block away from my house that's much better. Plus, I don't think they have spy cameras there.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You can often pick up a pint of Ben and Jerry's at the supermarket for less than a third the price quoted in the first post.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, a lot of their ice cream isn't that great, but their Cake Batter is better than any others. Plus, I also like to mix-in cookie dough and they use REAL cookie dough. They just slice up one of those cookie dough logs that you get at the supermarket.

For my birthday, they got an ice cream cake from there. It was some kind of Cake Bater/peanut butter/butterfinger thing - Mmmmm!!!

Well, also, there's no other ice cream place within walking distance from my workplace, so we go more for convenience than preference.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
When I was in school in Ann Arbor in the 80s we had an ice cream shop called Steve's that was one of the first to do the whole cold slab mixing thing. It wasn't that much more expensive than a regular ice cream shop. They went under long ago and where I live now the only game in town is Cold Stone. I just can't bring myself to go there knowing that their fancy "process" isn't all that big of a deal and that they're way too expensive to boot. This little story just gives me another reason to avoid them.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay