What's new

Big Brother 8 Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Big Brother 8 starts tonight (7/5/07) so here's the place to discuss it. If you are interested in entering the HTF Big Brother 8 Top Ten Challenge please go to this thread for submitting your entry.

Thank you.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
A lot of what is "claimed" by these reality shows is more sizzle than steak. That's the nature of the beast in order to try to secure better ratings.

I see that there are a couple of twists planned, such as "America's Houseguest" and people from contestants' pasts (or whatever). We'll have to watch a bit to see how this plays out. Since I'm hosting the "Top Ten" challenge for this event (see separate thread) it might be a bit tricky to ascertain who is on the actual house guest list at the beginning. That's one reason I've set the deadline for a week from tomorrow (Friday the 13th) for people to submit their entries.

I also didn't want to make subscribing to any of the live feeds something that would give a handicapping advantage to members here. That's why not waiting too long to pick a top ten (an 8 or 9 day window seems reasonable) should minimize any such advantage.

We'll probably have lots more to talk about after the first show tonight.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Tommy Lee's in the house! (I know, just a look-alike).

I suspect Joe might set the gay movement back a few decades.

Julie must be on the Nicole Ritchie diet.

I hope one of the 3 nemesises (nemeses?) get HoH next week, or one of them will be going home next week.

"America's Puppet" twist is sort of lame, but it'll be funny to get Eric to try to make out with someone in the house, like Joe! :D

Carol reminds me of a little like Michelle Rodriguez.

Nick and Mike seem like they will buddy up.

Zach is weird looking, like a young Ray Wise.

Kail will have to be nimble in this game.

Jen really likes her name (judging by the shirts she wear being Jen-centric).

Dustin probably just want to last as long as it takes to get rid of Joe.

Jameka is going to be a low flyer, I think.

Jessica seems pretty immature.

Amber's probably going to give good diary room if she can stay in the game.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The Gonorrhea Line was priceless and loved the other guy saying "Whaaaaaaat!?!?!!". The first episode was pretty painful but I really like the Puppet idea. It's not the show i find entertaining but the feeds and I can't wait to watch BB After dark on Showtime2.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone watch the Showtime Too BIG BROTHER AFTER DARK?

I don't subscribe to the feeds but this is kind of interesting, to see it this way. I Tivoed it.

Although, will they be able to show Jen's bathing suit on CBS? Yikes! Serious blurring is going to be needed.

And the sound is pretty bad. A lot of conversations, but you can't hear what many are saying.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've read that if you turn on the captions, it might make it easier to follow the conversations.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

That's funny! I just went back and they are doing CC for it.

Although, they are like 2 minutes behind, and not getting most of it.

But half of it, the transcribers aren't even hearing.

Thanks for the tip!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Been reading up on the live feed synopses, and they appear to be allowing more typical FOTH discussion to be shown on the Showtime afterhours segments.

Evel Dick appears to be a fun character (going by the live feeds and screen captures), hope he can stick around.

They (live-feed bloggers) did comment about how we are missing quite a bit of how people have broken into their groups from the get-go (June 30 until the live feeds that started last night), and how certain alliances and animosities have formed in that time frame. This is from people being puzzled by the nominations that Kail put forth at the nomination ceremony (and why it went down as it did). They did POV competition today.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I have to admit that the "twists" are quite intriguing, although not earth-shattering. And they certainly will make it a challenge to get the HTF BB8 Top Ten Challenge right, what with all the alliances, history between certain house guests and the America's Houseguest angle.

Don't forget to soak it all up and get your entry in for the Top Ten challenge by a week from tonight. (See the separate thread which I've "stuck" at the top of this section.) I fully expect most people will wait until next Thursday night since you will then be picking from a pool of 13 house guests (unless there is another twist) so please make sure to enter as quickly as you can after then so I can finish all the paperwork by Friday night.

Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!
(with apologies to Ms. Bette "Margo Channing" Davis)

;)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't too thrilled, but getting excited for BB is pretty rare for me. It was fun though, go Dick!

Joe is walking the fine line of being annoyingly entertaining and just plain irritating. I wouldn't mind seeing him leave early.

Anyone else think Jen = Jenna Morasca (Survivor: The Amazon winner) with a better body? During one of her Diary Room segments, she looked exactly like her, not to mention that her voice and apparantly, her personality, seem pretty similar. And wasn't Jenna a swimsuit model too?

Speaking of Survivor: The Amazon resemblences...Eric's voice (and again apparently, personality)? Rob Cesternino.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just a heads up for anyone entering the HTF BB8 Top Ten Challenge (see thread at the top of this section):

Patrick Sun came up with a great idea and several people have started adding PLACEHOLDERS in that thread in order to let us know that they intend to participate. Since there is an elimination (at least one, unless something unpredictable happens!) on Thursday 07/12/07, it is probably wise to wait until then to submit your list. As is spelled out in the rules (see the thread here) once submitted your list is final. By submitting a list before 7/12 you run the risk of having someone you choose voted off.

(Special note to RyanAN: I sent you a PM. Essentially, because of these PLACEHOLDERS I'm bending the rules to let you withdraw your list if you so choose.)

As explained in the thread, PLACEHOLDERS are just a courtesy to give us some idea of how many entries to expect. Your list doesn't become official until you actually post it and the position of the PLACEHOLDER doesn't give you any advantage in case duplicate lists are submitted. The one who posts the LIST (not the PLACEHOLDER) first gets it.

Thank you.

P.S. Sorry for the somewhat "off-topic" announcement here. I'll confine Top Ten Challenge comments to a minimum so that you can concentrate on discussing what's going on in that most wacky house.

To get back on topic, I'm amazed by the number of Howie posers and pretty boys that are running around. Clearly, the earlier editions of the show are rubbing off on the new entrants. And, of course, the selection committee knows what sells, both on the male and female side.

;)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have to say, the Big Brother After Dark is pretty addictive. I had it on last night, and couldn't turn it off. Glad I don't get the live feeds, or I'd never leave the house!

I don't know what is going on with some of them, but major drama with one character (are we supposed to have spoilers for the After Dark?) who was quite angry with the producers about something (I don't know what).

And I think they should air the regular eps more often. They've already done the Veto, and that won't even air until Tuesday is it?

As for the people, I think I like them all pretty much. Even Dick is entertaining. A few of the guys are pretty generic.

One interesting thing on last night, a group talking about how they have family members at home paying their bills, and how they had to change their cell phone plans. I always wondered about that.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I entirely agree that BB After Dark on Showtime 2 is quite interesting. I never really got into the "live" feeds (although I sampled them last year with the free trial period). Even though I have a really nice Internet connection (FIOS at 20Gps download speed) I found the site a bit slow and kludgy. It also seemed that they were turning off some aspects of the coverage either due to technical issues or because they wanted to cut some things out. In any event the "live" feed was a bit controlled so I'm fine with the 3 hours a night that I get as part of my already subscribed Showtime package. I DVR it and then skim it. If I had to add another 3 hours of TV to my already packed schedule I'd never sleep!

:laugh:

I realize that with the Showtime offering we are seeing what the directors or the camera attendants want us to see and hear (or what they want to see and hear). Since a lot of their "tastes" parallel mine (they are big into showing the ladies) I'm fine with that.

;)

And the lack of (most) language censorship reminds me of the difference between satellite radio and its prim and proper terrestial cousin.

mike caronia

Second Unit
OK, somewhat new to reality shows. Never watched any of them.
Caught Survivor when Yul won, and have since been hooked. I'm even watching that schlock Pirate Master. ha
This is my first foray into big brother..and I am like a sucker...have watched every late night feed on SHO2...wow...it's not even the same show as what is on CBS. Tonight alone, the people all come off way differently than on the late night version.

Count me in for the contest..I'm sure I won't guess anything correct, but that's OK.

I hope Evil Dick goes all the way!!
hahaha, seriously, he comes off WAY better on the late night feed. Although I think he'll sell himself out to keep his prima donna daughter in there...her and Joe need to go.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Jessica has the most annoying voice this season. The music playing during Jen's photo-meltdown was hilarious. Looks like mom has her 3 boys in the house, just like back home.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I won't spoil it because it BETTER make the CBS show, but last night's AFTER DARK episode had one of the funniest moments in Big Brother history (the drinking game).

No spoilers, but I just blogged about it.

If you like the show, you NEED Showtime.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I totally agree that the "drinking game" episode deserves to make it onto the CBS show in some context. And if you have Showtime, get those DVRs rolling.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Speaking of "rolling," remember to place your Top Ten entries once Thursday's elimination is revealed in the separate thread. Entries close on Friday the 13th at 8:00 pm EDT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks