What's new

Big Ass Spider (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The trailer I watched says it opens today. When I look in Flixster it doesn't show up as opening today or any day. I guess this will be on demand only. Our local critic gave it a decent review, comparing it to Tremors. Not quite that good, but still good. Is this showing in theaters anywhere? I'm a sucker for giant monster movies.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There's a website for this movie (what a shock) called bigasspider.com. There it shows what cities it's playing in and it seems quite limited. None in Arkansas, so I guess it will be on demand for me.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Playing at the Music Box Theatre in Chicago. Have to pick up relatives tomorrow at O'Hare...maybe a showtime of this works out...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dang it, not this one...but they are showing Fall of the House of Usher and Island of Lost Souls at times that would work....decisions...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Johnny Angell said:
There's a website for this movie (what a shock) called bigasspider.com. There it shows what cities it's playing in and it seems quite limited. None in Arkansas, so I guess it will be on demand for me.
are you sure thats the correct site?

Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
TonyD said:
are you sure thats the correct site?

Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.
I had to do like 4 permutations of "big ass spider" and finally got it to hit.

I think the link to the movie directly is still up at The Music Box (Chicago theater).

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
The only reason I even looked at this thread was because the title made me laugh.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The only reason I looked at it was to make sure it wasn't about an actual big ass spider.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
So you thought I was posting about an actual spider in the Movies section? I would have put that elsewhere. Now back to our normal programming.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TonyD said:
are you sure thats the correct site? Comes up as nothing when I try to go to that.
It should have been a triple S, as in bigassspider.com. Sorry 'bout that.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Well..., I learned that it is on demand with DirecTV. I am pretty sure the cable companies have released it as well with their same-as-theatrical release titles.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I finally watched this on DTV VOD. First time I've done that. Jeez, $8 for the rental. That's approaching a theater ticket price. But on to the movie. I need to establish a grading system. If I were to have a system of from 1 to 10 stars for the syfy Saturday night specials (the typical ones like Sharknado, not the occasional premium stuff they do) I would assign 5 stars to the very best of these. :) Keep in mind that my rating would be lower if I were rate BAS outside of the syfy rating system. For BAS, I would give it a syfy rating of 4.5 stars, because I'm assuming that there is at least one syfy that can beat it out. I went into this hoping for a poor man's Tremors. Greg Grunberg and Lombardo Boyar are the two buddies and they do have some moments, but mostly it seems like too guys trying too hard to be funny. When I saw Ray Wise was in the movie, I thought that would raise the level, and it did, but only slightly. Patrick Bauchau is guilty of terrible over acting. He probably had to floss afterwords to remove all the scenery. Lin Shaye as Grunberg's romantic interest doesn't bring much to the movie either. While the acting is terrible, so is the script. For some reason, they decided to reveal the monster spider in all it's gigantic glory, inside of two minutes (maybe just one) of the start of the movie. I guess they wanted to feel at home with all the other syfy movies. There's the time when the two buddies are racing to the spider's location, but the audience doesn't know how they know the location. Than there's the time
when Grunberg's character decides to run beneath the BAS and have the big weapon tossed to him after he's dodged several spider thrusts that have already killed numerous victims. It makes no sense and it also appears that Grunberg couldn't dodge a charging snail during this section.
The best thing about this movie is the FX. The spider, in it's various sizes, looks good. Not ILM good, but for a syfy movie, I would give the FX a 6, maybe 7. The sound is serviceable, but nothing special. When the spider walks on a paved street, he, make that she, breaks the pavement. You wouldn't know that from the sound. Had I watched this on the syfy channel, I probably would have given this movie a 5 or 6 star rating. Still, comparing this movie with the syfy Saturday night specials is not bragging on it. I wanted to like this movie, I like big monster movies, I spent $8 to rent it, and I'm a cheapskate. When I think of an old classic like Them (and I find the big ants kind of hokey), this movie does not compare. In Them you have actors and characters you care about. The FX, not so great, but it's 10 times the movie that BAS is.

I cannot recommend a rental of this movie and certainly not a purchase of the blu whenever it comes out. It's not good enough for either and it's not bad enough for either.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Malcolm R said:
This is showing next Saturday, April 19, at 9PM on SyFy.
My clumsy finger clicked the solved button, even tough there's nothing to solve here. Watching this for free on syfy is the best way to see this movie. If you don't like the Syfi Saturday night specials, you won't like this movie either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks