What's new

Bidding on Ebay. I can't stand the pressure! (1 Viewer)

DaveNel

Second Unit
Yeah a lot of people get user ID's by the dozen and look for auctions to ruin. I think everyone that uses ebay needs to apply for a paypal account wether they use it or not. that will stop a lot of the problems. Cause with paypal you have to get verified by credit card and bank info. Then once you mess up with ebay, no more..

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

That's irrelevant. You said you want to win. If you want to win, you have to be willing to pay the most.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Actually, to get technical Dave there are verified and unverified paypal users. As I opened up my account around christmas and don't use or have a credit card, I am an unverified paypal user. They have my bank info, they have my isp e-mail and I even called them with any of the information they needed or wanted so I could get a "verified" tag. But it seems the only way is through having a credit card, so no verification for me. Personally, I think its sick that I need one of these corporate greed cards to be able to do something like this...

I want a verified address because some websites like Tiger Direct use paypal but only take payments from verified paypal users. Some ebay sellers prefer verified pay pal users. I agree that there are some issues with ebay, I've been sweating bullets for the last 10 days or so thinking that buddy might have taken me for a $350.00 Cdn rambus ride, but earlier today I got an email and it says that he's finally sending some, not bad since I won the auction on Jan. 12th. :rolleyes

Even if I get the product, he's getting a neutral review. Telling me that he mailed the first set of ram on Jan 13th but USPS doesn't have a tracking number so its lost is simply a pile of horseshit - he never had any in stock in the first place and his new shipment was a little late so he made up a bullshit excuse. Now that he has some in he's going to be "resending". Of course, now he doesn't have any Samsung ram (which is what I auctioned on) but Elpida ram, a make I have never heard of. At this point, I don't give a ratt's ass what it is, I just want my 1.26 Gb of ram here and installed in my pc!

RichP

Second Unit

You either want the item "really badly" or you want it cheaply. You cannot have it both ways. If you truly want something "so badly" that you "won't stop until [you] have it in [your] possesion," then yes, bidding $5000 on every auction will most likely win you that auction. Now if you have a price ceiling on these items, then it is not true that you "won't stop until [you] have it in [your] possesion" is it?

I'm not saying this to be mean spirited at all, but perhaps your money is better spent not on eBay auctions, but on a counseling session on self-control. Just an idea.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Michael If you have a checking account with your Bank, Your bank can give you a Debit Visa card. That card alone can get you verified. And also you can be verified wit a premier account that way also.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

Ah yes, I have heard this. Poor Canadians. No newegg. :frowning:

Zipzoomfly and monarchcomputers are two other sites with good customer feedback and generally good prices. Mwave.com is generally pretty good, too.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
RichP,
you sure have a funny way of indicating to someone that your not being mean.

Listen, with these discussion boards you cannot tell how someone says something, the expression on their faces or what their demeanor is, whether their desparate, depressed, happy or just being flippant about something, you only see what is on the screen. Point is, don't assume that i'm some sick lunatic going broke on e-bay who needs counseling simply because I made a simple and rather inconsequential comment about myself.

Who doesn't have self control problems sometimes? Anyone who goes to Las Vegas or Atlantic City can tell you that it's hard to control oneself once you get started, and no, i'm not referring to those addicted to gambling, just casual everyday gamblers, are you going to tell those people to seek counseling as well?

Look, I don't want to get into this any longer, except to say that the last line of your last post was very presumptuous to say the least and I don't mean that in a mean way.

Back to the topic at hand, I would like to try that method, however as badly as I would like to win an item I bid on, I don't exactly relish the idea of puttng myself in the poorhouse either. ;) However, what I meant when I said I would not stop, was that if I lost one auction for an item, I would immediately find another auction of the same item and try again, and again, and again if necessary. If I lose on e-bay, i'll find someplace else on the net that has it, I won't give up.

That used to be an admirable quality.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Fair enough, Rich, just let me say one last thing, I promise. The first things on my list each month is taking care of the bills, and then putting food on the table for myself and for my father each week, anything left over is play-time money, that's what I spend on e-bay.

Perhsps I mis-represented myself to a degree, but I can assure you, your mistaking addictive personality for good old fasioned determination, and in my book, there aint nothin' wrong with that. :)

Take care.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Bah I called my bank, seems the Debit Visa card thing isn't yet supported by them, the lady on the phone made it sound like its much more common in the US.

Give it a few years and I'm sure we'll have the Debit Visa option here in the Great White North too. Thanks for the suggestion though Dave.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Michael heres another Idea is to find a Bank that does support it. There has to be a way to get a Debit Visa somewhere. I would be checking..

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

They're standard issue in the US. I don't think it's possible to get just a basic ATM card anymore. They're all co-branded with MC/Visa.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks