Bicycle Tech, please!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ColinM, Jul 7, 2003.

1. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I'm buying up all the $20 road frames I find, so long as they are serviceable. I've nabbed one at Goodwill, mainly for the components and such.

Here are my 2 current problems -

A Schwinn LeTour will probably be built first. I rebuilt the headset and the BB, all's good there. Long-reach brakes are coming to grab the 27's.

1. The BB spindle has threads extending from it, to accept flanged nuts to capture the cranks. I can't find any nuts anywhere. Any ideas? Third Hand / Loose screws has something for Sugino Maxy spindles, that's it. BTW, I'm using Campy Veloce cranks. Should I just get a newer modern BB? Can I put a cartridge in there?

2. One of the bikes I have to tear down has stripped crank threads on the drive side. Best way to get the cranks off? Ride it w/o the retainer bolt?

Thanks -

2. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Try the Bicycle Mechanics forum on this site:

Bike Forums

Mike D.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Plenty of nuts on the streets here - Biking gets dangerous fast!

I went to Nashbar and got the correct Campy BB for my cranks, and the tool to install it. I hope it comes with fixing bolts, or the Sugino pair I have will have to fit.

English 1.37 x 24, 111mm spindle.

Almost there! Hopefully I'll be riding it by this weekend. After pulling my daughter around in her trailer with the MTB I should be able to push 53x11 for hours!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right. So instead of the bolt threading into the BB spindle, there are nuts? Shouldn't be hard to find. Bike stores should be able to get em. Take the spindle with you when checking.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Yeah - that's what I thought. I brought in a frame to have the BB faced, and when I whipped out the spindle the mech rolled his eyes and said "good luck".

He's a nice guy, not snotty. This was before I got the Campy crank, so I think it's best to go same mfg. for the drivetrain, especially the crank bb interface.

It's just going to be my "Angry Commuter" bike...

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I used to work at a bicycle store, ok, 8 years ago, but I saw these spindles all the time. I can remember pulling and replacing those puppies a million times. I can still remember the feeling of the funny seratted side of that hex nut that is used on the spindle thread. They're out there. Try another bike store. They can't be that un-common yet.