What's new

BIC Owners Speak Up! (1 Viewer)

JasonMcK

Auditioning
Hello to Everyone whose fingers led them to this thread which will be dedicated to the proud (and not so proud) owners of BIC America speakers. We all know there are better speakers out there to be had for thousands of dollars more than we paid for our Venturi-ported beauties, but I would dare to say that for the money, nothing else comes close. If you own a pair, set, or entire line of BIC's wonderful budget-minded speakers, this is the place for you to speak up and tell the world about your experience - good or bad.

Here's my testimonial:

When I was 16, my dad and I went to a local electronics shop in search of the perfect set of mid-size speakers for my hi-fi VCR stereo home theater system. After testing every speaker in the place, I settled on a pair of V62's on the basis that they were the best sounding set for under $200 bucks.

I have now lived with these speakers for 12 years and they have served me faithfully as my home theater system evolved from stereo to dolby prologic and recently into dolby digital/dts 5.1. I recently purchased a pair of 62sib's to use as my fronts and moved my beloved V62's into the rear surround positions to replace my lousy Radio Shack Optimus surrounds. I also upgraded my cheap Optimus center channel to the formidable DV62CLRS. What an improvement the DV62xx's have made! The dogs now run for cover whenever it's movie time!

Very shortly, I plan to rotate my speakers once again. This time, I will move my aging V62's into the workout room and move my newer DV62sib's to the rear surround position. To top everything off, I will purchase a set of DV84's to take up the Main L/R position.

BIC Rocks! ...now, if we can just convince them to do something about that website!

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I almost jumped on the BIC wagon. but I thought the price and reviews people said of them were too good to be true. been through alot of speakers and decided on Paradigms.

hope to see this thread grow.... id have my sis in law buy some as she is cheap.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jason,
You didn't mention your sub. Is it a BIC, too? I don't have a BIC sub but am thinking of getting their 12 inch. I'm using a Jensen 12 inch sub and it does the job adequately so I don't have any rush to get upgrade yet.
I do have a pair of V62's for my mains and my center is a BIC Dv52si. Got them both off eBay for dirt cheap. And yes they sound fantastic! I'd recommend BIC in a heartbeat.
The 62's don't have very low bass but with a subwoofer, it's not an issue. I can drive them hard with my Denon 1803, which can put out close to 100 watts in 2 channel stereo, and the V62's sound very clear and accurate.
Are your DV62si mains sounding good without the crossover modification? Most reviews I've seen rave about how great they sound after the mods. I was just curious if they do indeed need the crossover mods or not.
My rear surrounds are Wharfedale WH2 bipolars which is another low price performer. Got mine at ecost for $65.
My 5.1 speaker system cost me a whopping $265.
BIC have been around for over thirty years. They used to make turntables and other stereo equipment, but nowadays they only make speakers. And darn good ones. Just goes to show, you don't have to spend big bucks to get great sound.
Hope this help those on a tight hometheater budget.
Good thread, Jason.

JasonMcK

Auditioning
Ralph B,

Any BIC owner will probably agree that their speakers are NOT too good to be true. Like I said before, there are definitely better speakers out there, but not at this price point. You'd have to spend hundreds or thousands more to find anything better.

Just out of curiousity, did you audition the BIC's before you purchased the Paradigm's? If so, how did they compare?

-Jason

JasonMcK

Auditioning
Ken,

Thanks for your reply. It's good to know there are others out there who refuse to fall for the CC and BB stores' marketing hype that drives the sales of most of their hi-fi speaker equipment.

I don't own a subwoofer for my 5.1 system, but that's not to say that I haven't tried one. About a year ago, I bought a Polk PSW202 and could never quite get it to sound "smooth", the way I thought a sub should sound. It was just too loud and boomy so I ended up taking it back. Once I get my DV84's, which have a frequency response down to 27Hz, I think I'll have all the bass I need for my small living room. I have heard lots of good things about the BIC 12" subs though, so I may reconsider someday.

My DV62si's and DV62CLRs all sound great without the crossover mod, but I guess it's all a matter of taste. If your happy with them the way they are, I'd say keep 'em that way. I have actually heard some folks complain that the Ed Frias mod actually causes the speakers to lose their crisp, clean and airy sound. If you listen to a lot of classic or alternative rock where distortion is king, this loss of character will surely disappoint.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I own the BIC tower speakers and have had the crossovers modified by Ed Frias. I am happy with the sound and the cost. I would not reccommend the subwoofer. I use a 12" Stryke Audio MKII in a 15" cube.

JasonMcK

Auditioning
Matt D,

Which towers do you own? What was your experience before and after the modification?

-JasonMcK

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I own the 736s. Before the modification the highs were bright and harsh. Some people may prefer that sound but I found that my ears would fatigue after extended listening. Afterward the sound was much more smooth and defined. I think the modification just tames the highs and brings out the mids. I am extremely pleased with the sound i get from these speakers, especially for the cost.

Matt

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Actually, BIC America is supposed to be the company making the Outlaw LFM-1 - with the design assistance going to Hsu.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
Why do you not recommend the BIC sub? Have heard one? I'm considering getting one, so, your detailed explanation would be most welcomed.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I have heard one. I thought that it was a bit boomy for my taste and it didn't have the impact that I wanted. I previously owned the 99 dollar 10 inch sub from costco, the energy 8.2 sub and now the 12 inch diy sub (Naturally I'm happpiest with this one - proud poppa). If you are looking for something cheap I would reccomend looking into the "tiny mighty" as it is known at parts express. Of course this is just my humble opinion and I don't want to step on anyones toes :).

Matt

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Ironically, the "Tiny Mighty II" is now on sale at Parts Express for $99 + shipping. Not sure how long the sale will last, though.

Matt, you have it right. The $99 KLH from Costco is OK - worth the $99 - but, not much more. I'm not surprised that you are your happiest with the 12" driver / box that you built. Clearly, that's where you get your money's worth. The $99 KLH has a driver that probably costs $5.00 or $6.00. Throw in a $20 amp and $7.00 worth of MDF & vinyl, you'd have what the KLH costs to build.

JeromeB

Agent
Building a new home and decided to use the BIC in-walls for background music throughout the home. They seem to be a perfect solution for the balance of price and performance.

-jb

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Jerome, The sound could get much nicer, too. Just build some in-wall MDF boxes to house those BICs and you'd be all set. :)

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,
The Tiny Mighty you are referring to, is that the same as the Dayton 10 inch?

EricSal

Grip
BIC has a new home theater speaker line called Acoustech. Nothing on their website yet, but there is a review up in the March Audiophile Audtion online - I can't post links yet, maybe somebody else can post it. Google BIC America Acoustech and you should get it.

Costco currently has the full set for $700, a pretty good deal IMO.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Yes, that's the one. P.E. had the Tiny Mighty I for sale up until about 6-7 months ago. The one that they replaced it with is the one that's on sale now for $99. From what I've read, it's quite a favorable sub for the price.

Scott Tucker

Stunt Coordinator
I have/had tons of BIC speakers, and you are so right about the price/quality ratio.
I use the DV62 center with V604 Bi-polars for fronts in my great room system and love it. I still haven't found a better sounding center speaker. I wish my new def tech center sounded as good. I also have a pair of Realta towers just sitting in the basement, but used them for years for mains without a sub and they rocked. Call me crazy, but i am tempted to sell my new top-of-the-line Def-Tech's and using the BIC's again. I could use a few thousand dollars. Bic is definitely one of the best values out there.

Scott

JasonMcK

Auditioning
EricSal,

After reading the Audiophile review of the Acoustech line, inquiring minds want to know where we can pick up a couple of these beauties, other than at Costco. The only warehouse club near me is Sams.

-JasonMcK

EricSal

Grip

When I saw these at Costco a couple of weeks ago I came back home and Googled the name and found the Audiophile Audition review. But I thought it was weird that there was nothing on the BIC site about them at all, so that Monday I called their customer service line (800 number is on the BICAmerica home page) and mentioned the review. The lady there said they were still putting distribution together and that she'd take my number and call when distribution was in place, probably early April.

I went ahead and got mine at Costco. BIC just registered acoustechspeakers.com on March 19th, so maybe they'll have more info on their site soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks