What's new

Bic America Speakers (1 Viewer)

mike steve

Grip
Does anyone have a Bic America speaker setup? I am thinking of purchasing the dv62clr-center, dv64 floorstanding-main, and the dv62si-rear. I already have the Dayton 10" sub and a HK avr 230 receiver, the system will be in a medium size room for now (living room). I 've read decent reviews on the center channel but nothing on the other speakers, any comments would be appreciated.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
I own a pair of 736s which are the the old tower speakers. I had the crossovers modified by Ed Frias (If you read the reviews on Audioreview.com then you'll know who I am talking about). The speakers aren't as pretty as the Rockets but I have no complaints on the sound. They sound better than any other speaker I have heard for the price. Right now I have an Energy Take 1 Speaker for the center. I would really like to upgrade to the DV62CLR. Hope that helps.

Matt

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
My mains are V62's, precursor to the DV-62's with same specs, and I'm quite impressed with the sound that comes out of these little guys. You'll have no problems using the 62's for rear surrounds.

mike steve

Grip
I am looking at three packages the Fluance sx-htb, Infinity Primus, and a bic setup I've heard the infinity so far sounds good. My budget is a Little over $500 for speakers.

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
My first decent speakers were BIC V52's .I bought them from Luskins back in 1990. I later added a V52clr and two V62s. I kept them in my bedroom system until last year when I replaced them with some Sound Dynamics RTS speakers purchased on closeout . Those BIC's sounded great to me, a friend bought them from me and he loves them. He upgraded his plastic HTIB speakers so this is his first real speakers. I got him a used Onkyo 575x from this forum and he is in heaven now.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has the infinity primus. They do sound nice. If you choose to go with the primus i doubt you would be disapointed. however from what i have read the Fluance speakers are a fantastic deal.

mike steve

Grip
Yes I've read a lot of reviews on the Fluance and the bic speakers it seems everyone is not satisfied with the center channels on both packages. The bic DV-62CLR a lot of people have crossover work done on the speaker what I don't know is if its the 62clr or the 62clrs? the fluance seems to have the best all around reviews. I live in the roswell ga area and I can't find anyone with the bic speakers to judge for myself

mike steve

Grip
The local Circuit City has the Infinity Primus, What I liked about them was the fact they were hooked up to my receiver hk 230 the sound was nice no distortion at high volume the movie was finding nemo. To me the problem with cc and hifi buys you rarely are able to hear the same setup you want, for example cc had my hk 230 but I could not hear any other speakers with it even though they have polk and mtx and bose speakers. The ht room isit setup like the car audio which makes no sense to me but thats why I'm here for other peoples opinion

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
know what you mean about trying to hear "your" setup. I took a big risk by ordering the BIC speakers without actually hearing them. My father Owned a pair he bought in the seventies that sounded great until the nineties. Based on that and the reviews that I read i decided to take the plunge. I was very happy with what I got out of the box. But I decided to sent the crossovers to get modified anyway. I Should get then back next week, I hope. But anyway if you check BIC America home page you can find all of the specs for their speakers. They are very impressive.

mike steve

Grip
proposed bic setup: $300 on floorstanding fronts (both) $160 rear speakers same for center already have dayton sub, so in the $620 range for budget, without wires and stands. I went to Fluance web site and there is a 6 to 8 week wait for the sx-htb setup thats a little to long for me to wait it took me four months to get where I am now, I'm ready to hear some sound my hk is hooked up to some old panasonic bookshelf speakers for now.

As far as crossover work on the bic speakers it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to buy these speakers new to have them repaired or improved, will this work void the warranty? Just trying to make the right decision the first time.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

You are very correct. The CC sound room leaves a lot to be desired. In my experience, they had 3 receivers in the sound room:

- High-end Onkyo (900?)
- Higher-end H/K (525?)
- H/K digital receiver (DPR 1001)

It made it kind of hard for someone who was considering a lower-end receiver to hear it paired with some of the speakers.

Ken.L

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Listen to the BIC's first and see how you like their sounds before you modify them. You may just like them the way they are. It's all very subjective.
The mod most certaintly will void the warranty. You can double check with BIC.

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
The only part of the warranty the mod will void, is that of the crossover itself. To service their speakers, BIC has you remove the woofer/tweeter yourself to send it in. THe never take the whole speaker back unless the cabinet is defective.

mike steve

Grip
Not yet the online store I was going to purchase from is out of stock thetwistergroup.com the fluance speakers the sx-htb is on a 6 to 8 week back order, I'm thinking about getting the fluance separates av-sc, av-f3, av-bp. The best price I could find for the infinity setup was at brandnamez.com all in stock but reviews for the site not good, I heard the e series jbl @ bestbuy and they sound and look nice, also the athena's nice setup also. So I will wait until Monday and start ordering then

mike steve

Grip
Well first of all I would like to thank all of you for your input I decided to go with the infinity primus setup, I heard the infinity tss 750 system this past weekend and it sounds good, also the onkyo 6.1 system has a nice sound but the infinity is the best for me. Thank you for the help.

Kris_Smith

Agent
I like the look of the Primus line.....

I have an HK 230 and opted for the Alpha 50's for fronts..

I also have The BIC Venturis DV52si
for surround....I am going to upgrade to the Alphas, but right now no rush as my 10 year old Venturis sound nice....

They are clear and detailed.....Besides, they've held up for 10 years and are not ready for retirement....

I use to have them hooked to a 1970's Pioneer(nice power).....They are performers...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks