What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 01.52.10.jpeg
    Screenshot 2023-03-30 at 01.52.10.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 30

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Nice to see that there will be introductions from some major filmmakers and that the film foundation is involved!

I would not be surprised to see an introduction to Land of The Pharaohs by Martin Scorsese who also included it in his personal journey through American movies:

As a matter of fact, Scorsese will be introducing the TCM broadcast on the 14th.

Here’s a link to the article screenshoted above, which also includes a link for the full April schedule:

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
As a matter of fact, Scorsese will be introducing the TCM broadcast on the 14th.

Here’s a link to the article screenshoted above, which also includes a link for the full April schedule:

Very cool - I also like the fact that both Pharaohs and Troy are classified as Blu-ray HD remasters which probably means that we will see them on Blu-ray sooner rather than later.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Might be the old transfer --- the article said TCM would premiere it
The way I read it Bob, they remastered for BD but not a 4K restoration. 2K maybe? it didn't say....knowing that Scorcese is gonig to introduce the presentation, chances are good that this is an updated restored version...I don't have TCM anymore but you tell me when you see it, ok?

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The way I read it Bob, they remastered for BD but not a 4K restoration. 2K maybe? it didn't say....knowing that Scorcese is gonig to introduce the presentation, chances re goon that this iis the restored version...I don't have TCM anymore but you tell me when you see it, ok?
Yes thats what it seems --------will let you know!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Helen and Land on Blu Ray! A long standing dream. Hope I don’t have to wait much longer.
Pretty sure we will see them within a year and at least one of them fairly soon.

Also I would not be surprised if Warner wanted to spread them out a little bit as they do not have that many of this type of movies and these two are the cream of the (unreleased) crop.

And it has to be said that us mentioning these two titles over and over played the decisive part in finally giving them the Warner Archive treatment ;)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
youtube
View attachment 180636

TCM broadcast - taken with my old iPhone of the TV screen. Looks better than the picture below as the iPhone increases the contrast.
View attachment 180637

Yes, the transfer was quite an improvement over the DVD (which is evident even from the iPhone screenshot above). I did detect a few soft looking shots (primarily in shots around dissolves or involving matte paintings. One shot that looked soft on my set that didn’t involve those factors was the overhead shot of the crowd at the start of the bacchanal after the horse is brought into the city), but overall, it looked very impressive. The audio also seemed improved from the outset of the overture (it’s a shame there’s no decent recording of Max Steiner’s score). Rewatching the film again, I could definitely see the influence of Intolerance in the siege sequence (with a shot of a falling siege tower almost identical to one in the silent film) and recognized bits of footage that were spliced into the opening scene of Jason and the Argonauts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks