What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
When I say "cost," I'm mainly referring to any restoration or cleanup WAC would have to do before they release it on blu-ray. My DVD copy from nearly 20 years ago already looked pretty rough for the time, so I imagine whatever print Warner still has on hand requires even more care now.
Really it's in the studios interests to maintain thier archives. These are the legacy of the studios history and bottom line. By restoring thier properties, they insure thier continued film market presence, now and in the future. They should be doing restoration to thier films for them, the customers benfit as well, but it's all about keeping thier produce fresh and sell-able, LOL!! By doing so, everyone benefits!!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I think you can rule out the possibility that Sony revisited Barabbas and nobody heard about it. If you want to have a look here is what you can expect:
As a description of the PQ I would settle for slightly less low-rez than the DVD.

With a ca. 1% chance that this comes from a new master it may make sense to check back with Via Vision. While we are at it The Long Ships could also look fantastic.
Barabbas and The Long Ships were both filmed in Technirama (8 perf horizontal 35mm anamorphic).

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Barabbas and The Long Ships were both filmed in Technirama (8 perf horizontal 35mm anamorphic).
Yeah, but any home video release of those two hasn't gone anywhere near the original negatives. The Long Ships is a guilty pleasure (with a great score), but Barabbas is really good, the film noir of ancient world epics, & Sony should really be doing a great transfer of it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yeah, but any home video release of those two hasn't gone anywhere near the original negatives. The Long Ships is a guilty pleasure (with a great score), but Barabbas is really good, the film noir of ancient world epics, & Sony should really be doing a great transfer of it.
Absolutely. I'm puzzled that Sony have not done the right thing by this movie. They did a great job on the Rita Hayworth film Salome which is not in the same league as Barabbas.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Absolutely. I'm puzzled that Sony have not done the right thing by this movie. They did a great job on the Rita Hayworth film Salome which is not in the same league as Barabbas.
I sent VIA VISION an message asking is it a new transfer and they still have not responded

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Fully agree regarding Salome vs. Barabbas.
Is there a Blu-ray release out there of Salome?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, in the Mill Creek Rita Hayworth box-set. Salome - and several other titles too - has a superb transfer.

It is indeed an excellent transfer of what for me is the absolute WORST of all the Biblical-based films of the 1950-1966 era (I bookend the period as beginning with "Samson And Delilah" and ending with "The Bible").

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Eureka seems to be pretty close to the master so that I have a hard time believing that the RIMINI will show a significant improvement but maybe there is a new master available?
It’s the same master unfortunately. The difference I see is that the Rimini blu ray PQ is brighter, making it look more vivid. I truly hope that there will be a 4K restoration.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
It’s the same master unfortunately. The difference I see is that the Rimini blu ray PQ is brighter, making it look more vivid. I truly hope that there will be a 4K restoration.
Wow Ken, I can see you are a fan of this movie :)
I also like it a lot and the Eureka is very nice, next buy will be a Blu-ray or UHD from a new master and hopefully soon!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I've preordered SON OF SAMSON but have never seen it before. I do assume that it's peplum rather than Biblical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks