What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (5 Viewers)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sodom and Gomorrah was released in 1962 when I was nine years old. My mom, a good Catholic woman, read that it had been condemned by the Legion of Decency. Thankfully, her friend Mrs Worden was Methodist and had planned a shopping trip where she dropped "the kids" off at a matinee that was showing the above condemned film. No wonder I'm as attached to it as I am. And, Bob, you'll love Romulus and Remus. Great PQ on that one.
She wouldn’t have been able to drop the kids off to see it in the U.K. where it was given an X certificate which meant no one under 16 could see it. Even to get that X certificate, it had to be heavily cut.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
She wouldn’t have been able to drop the kids off to see it in the U.K. where it was given an X certificate which meant no one under 16 could see it. Even to get that X certificate, it had to be heavily cut.
Well, the gatekeepers at the Stevens Point WI cinema thankfully let us in even though I think it was rated M or something like that in those days. Wait, just maybe there were things excised for the general audience in the print we saw. Now I really can't wait for the blu-ray!

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have just ordered Sodom and Gomorrah plust Romulus and Remus from JPC- I look forward to seeing them both after so many years.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
such a great cast, I love the evil Conrad Veidt!!
1639944971700.png

1639945025181.png

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I went to Catholic school and we went on a class trip to see SODOM AND GOMORRAH. In the US it was definitely not condemned by the Catholic Church.
I saw the list. My mom showed it to me and I remember it vividly. Looked pretty official and it read "Legion of Decency" at the heading. Perhaps for some reason she typed it up herself, or maybe it was the Episcopalian Legion of Decency. "Morally objectionable for all" were also terms used.

Last edited:

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I saw the list. My mom showed it to me and I remember it vividly. Looked pretty official and it read "Legion of Decency" at the heading. Perhaps for some reason she typed it up herself, or maybe it was the Episcopalian Legion of Decency. "Morally objectionable for all" were also terms used.
Not condemned, but it was "morally objectionable for all"...so was GYPSY. lol

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Not condemned, but it was "morally objectionable for all"...so was GYPSY. lol
Anyway, that was enough for my mom. Picked up a wonderful English subtitled version of Fabiola (1949) from a company called Rare Films and More: (https://www.rarefilmsandmore.com/fabiola-1949-with-switchable-english-subtitles#.Yb_2wC-cZWe)
It's a wonderful transfer of the uncensored long version of this early French peplum featuring Michele Morgan, Henri Vidal and Michel Simon. Fans of the genre would probably enjoy it. The epic but brutal finale in the arena is truly something to behold.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
My mom always told me about Fabiola. I will order that 😊
I believe the film is public domain as there are so many sub-standard and butchered versions around internationally. This may have come from a very clean complete Gaumont re-issue. The interesting Roman politics in it suggest Spartacus or I, Claudius in many ways. And. the nudity in the arena sequence would certainly give the Legion of Decency a headache in '49, as the uncut Sign of the Cross must have in '32.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I ordered it from your link and it was shipped
today. Glad the PQ is good!
You won't be disappointed. He's also got some rare silents with nice PQ, and the preview option for a clip is helpful. My DVD of Fabiola actually looked better than the clip.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I just received my blu ray of SODOM AND GOMORRAH. Good news, it is all region. I have 2 blu rays ...the uncut 2hr 35 minute version and also the 1hr 57 minute version. At some point growing up , I must have seen the cut version because I remember the main title sequence which is different from the long version...... and quite eye popping.
How long did it take for your order to arrive ??

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I received my copy of Sodom And Gomorrah today and scanned both the short and long versions. I don't think it has been mentioned but the short version has Rozsa's exit music but the long version does not.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I received my copy of Sodom And Gomorrah today and scanned both the short and long versions. I don't think it has been mentioned but the short version has Rozsa's exit music but the long version does not.
My "Express" delivery ordered from Amazon Italy was collected by DHL in Cologne on December 16. It arrived in the UK today and is due to be delivered to me on December 23. I would have received it faster if I'd opted for standard Amazon delivery.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Excellent - now people with two players can line up the beginning of the exit music on the second disc and start it when the movie finishes on the first disc :)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The short version is a bit of a mess so far as music placement is concerned. In the final scenes, the original music has been replaced by what was originally intended as exit music and that music continues for a short while after the end credit. Neither version has the end of part one music despite it being on the Fox DVD. A bit of a missed opportunity with no attempt to recreate the roadshow version (even though that seems only to have been shown in Australia). I'm content with the picture quality though. I somehow doubt that we'll get anything better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation715
    Recent bookmarks