What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Embassy Pictures library is scattered between several companies. Joseph E. Levine released a couple of Steve Reeves films and a bunch of peplum films for the SONS OF HERCULES syndicated TV series. He also produced the unsold Gordon Scott Hercules TV pilot which later aired once on ABC I think it was.
Do not know how accurate Wikipedia is but they claim a lot of Avco Embassy (Levine) stuff wound up at Studio Canal then to MGM here in the states. I clearly remember when Embassy Home Vid released 1940's The Thief Of Bagdad and when people got the tape it had was the Steve Reeves version.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've received the French Rimini label 55 DAYS AT PEKING (a day late from Amazon's "guaranteed" delivery date!)

It's a very impressive package. The 96 page book is excellent and contains about an equal amount of text (in French of course) and photographs with sections covering numerous aspects of the production.

As with the previous French release, which I believe was released by Filmedia although that name appeared nowhere on the box or disc, the Rimini opens with "Pinewood: Restored in 2013 from the original 8 perf Super-Technirama 70 camera negative". As expected, picture quality is excellent and to my eyes looks exactly as the previous release. English audio is 5.1 and 2.0 stereo. French audio is 2.0 mono. There are no English language sub-titles but French sub-titles can be switched on if required. The box states that it's encoded to Region B but I've tested it on Region A and it plays on that Region as well. Overture. Intermission/Entr'acte and Exit Music (Andy Williams singing 'So Little Time') are included.

The set also has the film on one DVD and all the extras on another (there are no extras on the Blu-ray). Some of the extras from the previous release are included but not the Nicholas Ray and Ava Gardner featurettes or, curiously, the interview with Charlton Heston's wife (probably because it didn't have French sub-titles). A couple of new extras made earlier this year featuring Bronston and the film's production are added.

I'm certainly pleased to have it and the quality augurs well for the forthcoming EL CID and FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE.

Sinbad75

Grip
Real Name
Jack
I've received the French Rimini label 55 DAYS AT PEKING (a day late from Amazon's "guaranteed" delivery date!)

Thanks for your info on this title. Just to be certain, the film can be viewed in its original English language with NO subtitles whatsoever, correct? On the region A issue, did you confirm that it plays on more than one disc player? Been waiting forever for this title, and am willing to go the extra mile to purchase it as long as its in un-subtitled English and Region A compatible.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Did I miss something? Where did you see that these two titles were forthcoming?
They have been released multiple times before. So far we have heard nothing to indicate that any film elements for these two have been revisited so I would not say that there is a big chance that the Rimini releases will be as good as we all hope for.

As both discs have been preordered by members of this forum we will know soon how good they really look.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Sinbad75 - Yes. English language with no subtitles whatsoever. My Region A player is a Sony. I’ve no idea if it plays without problem on any other player but I would assume if it plays on one Region A player it will play on all.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

They have been released multiple times before. So far we have heard nothing to indicate that any film elements for these two have been revisited so I would not say that there is a big chance that the Rimini releases will be as good as we all hope for.

As both discs have been preordered by members of this forum we will know soon how good they really look.
Well we have heard something, Rimini did state that FOTRE was from a new HD master, which might well be misleading, we'll find out next year.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well we have heard something, Rimini did state that FOTRE was from a new HD master, which might well be misleading, we'll find out next year.
This is the kind of information that makes little sense.

The only thing that could bring about a worthwhile improvement would be Rimini having access to the original scans that were done for the Miriam collection at the time, pre-filtering and pre-color grading. That would not give great results but it would at least give us a chance to get something acceptable.

Or to put it another way: I have a hard time believing that this would be something that requires a major financial outlay on behalf of Rimini - they would have a very hard time recouping their expenses with what can only be a very limited distribution deal.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, I'm sceptical, but we epic fans have to grab at these straws. I understand that the Miriam transfers were made from low-contrast prints, so the very last thing Rimini needs is access to those scans, throw 'em in the bin. Maybe a new scan from the dupe negative used to make the prints, or better still, the dupe negative used to make that dupe negative (if it's an interpositive). Anyway, time will tell.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I'm sceptical, but we epic fans have to grab at these straws. I understand that the Miriam transfers were made from low-contrast prints, so the very last thing Rimini needs is access to those scans, throw 'em in the bin. Maybe a new scan from the dupe negative used to make the prints, or better still, the dupe negative used to make that dupe negative (if it's an interpositive). Anyway, time will tell.
A 35mm IP scan should already be a substantial improvement but it is a leap too short in my opinion with the resources that still would have to be spent on that.

Better to go all the way like for 55 Days and Circus World. Fall and most of all El Cid are the bigger prizes here and why should they fare worse than the other two.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, the original negatives. Calling the Martin Scorsese Film Foundation (you're needed).

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

HD master from the 65mm negative? That's probably the only way we will get the full Ultra Panavision 2.76 AR. We do have that AR for the following on Blu-ray:

1959 Ben-Hur
1962 Mutiny on the Bounty
1963 It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
1965 The Greatest Story Ever Told
1965 Battle of the Bulge
1966 Khartoum
2015 The Hateful 8

But not the titles below:
1957 Raintree County
1964 The Fall of the Roman Empire
1965 The Hallelujah Trail

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
HD master from the 65mm negative? That's probably the only way we will get the full Ultra Panavision 2.76 AR. We do have that AR for the following on Blu-ray:

1959 Ben-Hur
1963 It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World
1965 Battle of the Bulge
1966 Khartoum
2015 The Hateful 8

But not the titles below:
1957 Raintree County

With these five coming from oldish masters that are so bad that I would not consider them proper Blu-ray releases:

1965 Battle of the Bulge

Khartoum looks rough around the edges but still pretty good compared to the titles above and indeed it is coming from a 1080p master from what I know (either 2k or HD).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Patiently waiting until the blu-ray of Sodom and Gomorrah (Sodom und Gomorrha) isn't "derzeit nicht auf lager" or currently out of stock over at Amazon.de. Supposedly it was released on December 9. I keep checking over at Explosive-Media GmbH which sends me directly to Amazon.de. I notice a shopping basket on the Explosive site. Can't seem to put S & G into it. Anyone tried this before?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks