What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Would someone mind reposting the Sodom and Gomorrah link where it's for sale? Is it confirmed that it's region free? I'd really like to get my hands on this one.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I don't have a link, but SODOM AND GOMORRAH is listed on Amazon.DE (Amazon/Germany). It is listed as "not in stock," which means that they will open preorders for it about a week before the street date of December 9th.

The region code has not been confirmed, but the disc will have English audio and subtitles.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't have a link, but SODOM AND GOMORRAH is listed on Amazon.DE (Amazon/Germany). It is listed as "not in stock," which means that they will open preorders for it about a week before the street date of December 9th.

The region code has not been confirmed, but the disc will have English audio and subtitles.
Here’s the link

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Fox TV ran the worst faded and scratched print of S&G last week!
Sometimes that is all they have access to. That's why it's so important to move oforward with ungrading and remastering as many films as possible, to save all of us from having to sit through these delapidated editions!!!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Many if not most of the peplum films' camera negatives reside in Europe. That is why there have been German Blu-rays of THIEF OF BAGHDAD (1961), ROMULUS UND REMUS (aka DUEL OF THE TITANS), and now the upcoming SODOM UND GOMORRAH.

There is a gorgeous PAL DVD print of THE MINOTAUR (1960) which looks to be from the OCN. However, the print that has aired on TNT and TCM is fullscreen and rather poor quality.

Warner is one of the few US studios that has good quality elements for several peplum films (THE SLAVE, COLOSSUS OF RHODES, THE GOLDEN ARROW, SANDOKAN THE GREAT, and a few others).

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
There is a gorgeous PAL DVD print of THE MINOTAUR (1960) which looks to be from the OCN. However, the print that has aired on TNT and TCM is fullscreen and rather poor quality.
Any information on where to buy this 1960 The Minotaur DVD? Couldn't find it over at Amazon.de. I'd sure love to pick it up!

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
This is the widescreen version on ebay:
It's the one we used for the screen grabs in this nice article on my website that horror writer Stephen Laws wrote for me.
Hope this helps - it is a very nice print!

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The first PAL DVD release of THE MINOTAUR was in a Spanish series entitled CINEMA EPICO or some such. There were several peplum titles in that series, which were released a number of years ago. The Spanish discs had no English audio or subtitles. Years later, a number of US "importers" of foreign releases, such as Sinister Cinema, used that PAL disc as their "master print" but added the English audio track. Sinister Cinema on the west coast still sells THE MINOTAUR, as do a number of other sellers. That excellent PAL print has never been released commercially in the US, other than mail order companies like Sinister Cinema. The print owned by Turner, which has aired on TBS, TNT, Comet, and TCM, is full frame and quite poor.

The frame grabs in the post from Quartermass II look similar to the PAL disc, although a couple of generations down from it.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
So, the sharpest possible disc one could buy of The Minotaur is available from the Sinister Cinema website, better say than the Ebay MOD one mentioned by Quatermass II? Sinister has some interesting peplum titles, many they claim come from nice 35mm sources.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
So, the sharpest possible disc one could buy of The Minotaur is available from the Sinister Cinema website, better say than the Ebay MOD one mentioned by Quatermass II? Sinister has some interesting peplum titles, many they claim come from nice 35mm sources.
Just checked Sinister Cinema, and there are definitely some times I'd be interested in. Can anyone comment on the general quality of the DVDs they sell?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Sinister Cinema "borrows" transfers from European DVDs and Blu-rays, which is why many of their peplum releases have good color and widescreen. Their release of THE MINOTAUR is quite good, but not as good as viewing the original Spanish DVD, which is probably the source of Sinister's transfer. The Spanish PAL release had no English, so if you want English, I'd go with the Sinister. Of course, the Sinister disc is burned, while the Spanish disc was pressed.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All 4 large format productions from Sony that are out in France should be avoided by people who expect the usual Sony quality:

Barabbas
The Long Ships
Lord Jim
Mackenna's Gold
Mackenna's Gold is being released in Germany on 21st January (a long way from being a great western, but I like it). Two editions, standard & Mediabook (the German's do love a Mediabook & they do them very well), it's early days, & it's not up on Amazon yet, the specs say English mono sound, which I hope is wrong. I think it states new scan on the cover (I think, I can't speak German). I'm probably going to buy it anyway, it has to be an improvement over the French release, with those unremovable French subs all over it (on the dreaded Sidonis Calysta label).

Anyway, back to the ancient world.

Last edited:

Jobla

Supporting Actor
That eBay copy of THE MINOTAUR is probably close in quality to the Sinister Cinema version. The fact that one of the eBay's disc options is Spanish audio suggests that it might have been transferred from the Spanish PAL DVD release. Both transfers probably sourced the Spanish release, and both offer English audio. The two discs might vary by a generation or two, but I've only seen the Sinister Cinema version. Either should be acceptable.

I'd love to see a German label release THE MINOTAUR as a pressed Blu-ray or DVD, accompanied by the English language dub as an option.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The new German Blu-ray of SODOM UND GOMORRAH should be a major improvement over all previous Fox transfers of it, including the old laserdisc and the MOD DVD.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I would be happy if any of these titles would be released in the states. Doesn't KINO have the rights to AVCO EMBASSY or is it OLIVE ? Isn't AVCO who, released alot of Sword/Sandals in the 5os and 60s ??

Jobla

Supporting Actor
The Embassy Pictures library is scattered between several companies. Joseph E. Levine released a couple of Steve Reeves films and a bunch of peplum films for the SONS OF HERCULES syndicated TV series. He also produced the unsold Gordon Scott Hercules TV pilot which later aired once on ABC I think it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks