What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I love all these old epics & would certainly buy every one released on blu-ray (I'll be buying the German Sodom and Gomorrah & the French Fall Of The Roman Empire if all is present & correct with these releases), but it's three titles that I really want the most:

Land Of The Pharaohs
Helen Of Troy
Barabbas.

So come on Warner & Sony!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I love all these old epics & would certainly buy every one released on blu-ray (I'll be buying the German Sodom and Gomorrah & the French Fall Of The Roman Empire if all is present & correct with these releases), but it's three titles that I really want the most:

Land Of The Pharaohs
Helen Of Troy
Barabbas.

So come on Warner & Sony!
It's becoming increasingly puzzling that Sony, whose consistently high standards are rivalled only by Warner Archive, have not yet produced a high definition master for Barabbas. I believe there's a new rumour that Kino-Lorber have come to an arrangement with Sony. If so, I very much hope Kino will request, indeed demand, a dazzlingly good HD master for this film.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It's becoming increasingly puzzling that Sony, whose consistently high standards are rivalled only by Warner Archive, have not yet produced a high definition master for Barabbas. I believe there's a new rumour that Kino-Lorber have come to an arrangement with Sony. If so, I very much hope Kino will request, indeed demand, a dazzlingly good HD master for this film.
"31 films....7 are new to blu ray in the US." Hmmm "Barabbas" is out on blu ray in France and it is not a stellar transfer. "Cromwell" is also out in France, that transfer is excellent. Sony has released many films on blu ray in Europe...."Mackenna's Gold" is another .
If 7 Titles are new to blu ray in the US....it sounds like like the other 24 titles are re-releases? Maybe 4K?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
"31 films....7 are new to blu ray in the US." Hmmm "Barabbas" is out on blu ray in France and it is not a stellar transfer. "Cromwell" is also out in France, that transfer is excellent. Sony has released many films on blu ray in Europe...."Mackenna's Gold" is another .
If 7 Titles are new to blu ray in the US....it sounds like like the other 24 titles are re-releases? Maybe 4K?
All 4 large format productions from Sony that are out in France should be avoided by people who expect the usual Sony quality:

Barabbas
The Long Ships
Lord Jim
Mackenna's Gold

Given their normal quality standards I would also be surprised if these get released by Kino.

As for the chance of Kino getting new masters I would say that Barabbas is a rather high profile title so not sure if Sony would prefer to release it themselves and the same goes for Lord Jim. I guess there is a bigger chance that the other two may get released through a third party.

I may be completely wrong though and Kino gets to release all 4 once they have been remastered which would be perfectly fine with me as long as they finally see a Blu-ray or UHD release!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I have the French Mackenna's Gold, & it's an old transfer (probably the same one that was used for the DVD), & has big unremovable French subs all over it. Let's hope that Sony has been giving some of these films a digital wash & brush-up recently.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Lord Jim blu ray has the definition an ok DVD. A restoration is much needed.
Thay must have done a "pop and drop" I hate when they do that. Doing nothing to improve the film but at the lowest cost just passing the buck!! Very lazy, and says a lot about that company when they don't step up and do a decent job!! Lord Jim is another film needing some love and remastering!! Is this the Spanish import?

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
All 4 large format productions from Sony that are out in France should be avoided by people who expect the usual Sony quality:

Barabbas
The Long Ships
Lord Jim
Mackenna's Gold

Given their normal quality standards I would also be surprised if these get released by Kino.

As for the chance of Kino getting new masters I would say that Barabbas is a rather high profile title so not sure if Sony would prefer to release it themselves and the same goes for Lord Jim. I guess there is a bigger chance that the other two may get released through a third party.

I may be completely wrong though and Kino gets to release all 4 once they have been remastered which would be perfectly fine with me as long as they finally see a Blu-ray or UHD release!
I purchased the french MacKenna's Gold, and it was a fair copy, definatly better than the DVD edition in my collection, any additional info on Lord Jim? I see it's a BRD-R from Spain...thoughts?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Lord Jim blu ray has the definition an ok DVD. A restoration is much needed.
Lord Jim comes close to the top of wide format films which I want on Blu-ray. I didn't bother getting the French version but I still have the DVD. It's another film where I can't understand the bad reviews and lack of audience interest. I still remember how great it looked in 70mm at the Odeon, Leicester Square. But it's only one of numerous films shown in 70mm which I fear will never get released. It's obviously expensive to master them for HD and outside those of us who were around in that wonderful age of roadshow presentations, how many people have even heard of Lord Jim or Barabbas - even TV channels seldom ever show them.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Lord Jim comes close to the top of wide format films which I want on Blu-ray. I didn't bother getting the French version but I still have the DVD. It's another film where I can't understand the bad reviews and lack of audience interest. I still remember how great it looked in 70mm at the Odeon, Leicester Square. But it's only one of numerous films shown in 70mm which I fear will never get released. It's obviously expensive to master them for HD and outside those of us who were around in that wonderful age of roadshow presentations, how many people have even heard of Lord Jim or Barabbas - even TV channels seldom ever show them.
The reasoning behind the Pana-vision and other formats was to bring people back to the theaters. They were losing to TVs and created a format that TV just couldn't deliver!! And it worked for a while. We've all seen the horrendous butchered TV versions of Ben Hur for example!! Yet today, with the ability to view such widscreen formats in our homes, although not uite the same as in a darkened movie Palace, studios seem unwilling to step up and deliver...why?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Thay must have done a "pop and drop" I hate when they do that. Doing nothing to improve the film but at the lowest cost just passing the buck!! Very lazy, and says a lot about that company when they don't step up and do a decent job!! Lord Jim is another film needing some love and remastering!! Is this the Spanish import?
It was an official French release boxset with a book included.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
The stereo track sony has was taken from a collectors print.
I was at chace audi9o when the sound was being transferred. the print was IB tech and looked amazing. I hope I see it liik that way on blu eventually.
There was n o overture or entracte.
only the intermission slug missing from the vid.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The stereo track sony has was taken from a collectors print.
I was at chace audi9o when the sound was being transferred. the print was IB tech and looked amazing. I hope I see it liik that way on blu eventually.
There was n o overture or entracte.
only the intermission slug missing from the vid.
Are we talking about Barabbas?

I keep hearing it looked fantastic so I very much look forward to Grover Crisp and his team doing their usual top notch work on it. This is my most wanted Sony title!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks