What's new

Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics not yet on Blu-ray (3 Viewers)

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
A few people in this thread (including Robin9) mentioned Belinda Lee. She made some Biblical-Roman-Egyptian epics in Italy, during the final years of her career: 1959's Messalina, and 1960's Constantine the Great and Joseph Sold by His Brothers were among the last films she ever made.

Now keep in mind that I only started hearing about her recently, and I am also in my late 20's. But from what I know about Belinda Lee, she was a British Actress of the 1950's, who was fairly popular in her native Britain. She also had a lovely and elegant voice that was, unfortunately, never heard again in any her post-British films. During her original career in Britain, she was tied to Rank Organisation/Pinewood, the most prestigious film studio there. But then in Winter 1958, during the filming of what turned out to be her last British picture, Nor the Moon by Night, she had an affair with an Italian Playboy named Filippo Orsini. This incident caused her to be disgraced from the UK, and she moved to Europe.

Over the next three years, from the Fall 1958 filming of This Body as Desired, to the Fall 1960 filming of Joseph Sold by His Brothers, she made over a dozen European films; most of them were Italian-made. During this time, she changed boyfriends a few times, before she eventually ended up with filmmaker Gualtiero Jacopetti, who was known for Mondo Cane.

In March 1961, Lee and Jacopetti were vacationing in Las Vegas, Nevada, where he was doing filming for Mondo Cane. On the night of the 12th, the two of them, along with Jacopetti's film crew, decided to drive down to Los Angeles for some filming there. Only Miss Lee refused to wear a seat belt during the drive.

Miss Lee's grave mistake cost her her life. She was only 25.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
First, ditto on the Taras Bulba. I was really keen to buy this and then when I heard about the mono sound I gave it a pass.

As for biblical epics....I am going out on a totally different limb...

I would like to see Prince of Egypt in blu-ray. It may be animated, but there are some cool sequences, especially the parting of the Red Sea.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Konstantinos said:
Well, The Egyptian sold out, although Demetrius and the Gladiators hasn't still (maybe it has to do more with the not so good transfer of this specific film).

Ed Lachmann said:
And at $35 a pop. One of the only ones at that price that did.
You could buy them both for the $70 I paid back in the 90's for "The Egyptian" on laserdisc. I think the full-frame VHS tapes for both titles were $30 each. So these things are all relative, as my Mom the Biblical Epic Nut would have said.

IMG_1547.JPG

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
GlennF said:
I would like to see Prince of Egypt in blu-ray. It may be animated, but there are some cool sequences, especially the parting of the Red Sea.
Of course that too!

A Great animation film!

I could do without the comic relief characters though...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Vahan_Nisanain said:
During her original career in Britain, she was tied to Rank Organisation/Pinewood, the most prestigious film studio there. But then in Winter 1958, during the filming of what turned out to be her last British picture, Nor the Moon by Night, she had an affair with an Italian Playboy named Filippo Orsini. This incident caused her to be disgraced from the UK, and she moved to Europe.

Not quite. After completing Dangerous Exile, Belinda Lee went to Rome to play the lead in La Venera Di Cheronea. While making the film she met Count Filippo Orsini whose prestigious family had close connections with The Vatican. Both Belinda and Orsini were married so their affair, in the mid-1950s remember, was regarded as scandalous. Belinda returned to London to make Nor The Moon By Night (aka Elephant Gun) opposite a young Patrick McGoohan. With that film completed, Rank and Belinda parted company. I don't believe it has ever been established if Rank fired her or if they agreed to separate amicably. What is certain is Belinda's career in her own country terminated then and she worked abroad until her tragic death.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Robin9 said:
Not quite. After completing Dangerous Exile, Belinda Lee went to Rome to play the lead in La Venera Di Cheronea. While making the film she met Count Filippo Orsini whose prestigious family had close connections with The Vatican. Both Belinda and Orsini were married so their affair, in the mid-1950s remember, was regarded as scandalous. Belinda returned to London to make Nor The Moon By Night (aka Elephant Gun) opposite a young Patrick McGoohan. With that film completed, Rank and Belinda parted company. I don't believe it has ever been established if Rank fired her or if they agreed to separate amicably. What is certain is Belinda's career in her own country terminated then and she worked abroad until her tragic death.

And I read that during the filming of a certain picture in April 1957, her hair got caught on fire. It has never been established, but the picture in question may very well have been Dangerous Exile, which also starred Louis Jourdan.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Has anyone seen Androcles and the Lion (1952)?

I don't like comedies so much especially mixed with Biblical themes, so i have avoided it..

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Konstantinos said:
Has anyone seen Androcles and the Lion (1952)?

I don't like comedies so much especially mixed with Biblical themes, so i have avoided it..

I reviewed the film on DVD as part of Criterion's George Bernard Shaw on Film set five years ago.

That review is here.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Ed Lachmann said:
I love the films already mentioned and ALL are at the top of my "most wanted" list. Keep hope alive for Kawalerowicz's Faroan which was recently restored and can be previewed at . It was listed as "soon to be released" at http://bluedvd.pl/category/filmy-blu-ray-filmy-polskie, a Paypal friendly Polish DVD store, for some time but the pre-order was recently pulled, which seems to suggest that we will see it made available in the very near future. Happily, all the BDs I've bought from that releasing company have an English subtitles option.

Still not available on this Polish site

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Anyone who loves these epics should not pass up the region free German Blu of Lubitsch's spectacular "Das Weib des Pharao" (The Wife Of The Pharaoh/The Loves Of Pharaoh). The Blu is glorious.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
cinerama10 said:
It was great when I saw it in 70mm .Surprisingly it stands up well when viewed today.
I would hope it has a restoration like Samson and Delilah but I doubt it..

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Konstantinos said:
I would hope it has a restoration like Samson and Delilah but I doubt it..

It doesn't. It should look decent though judging by what was aired on MGM HD.

Quatermass II

Second Unit
Real Name
John Hayes
I wrote an article about THE BIG FISHERMAN a few years ago. Anyone who cares to read it can find it here http://widescreenmovies.org/Highlights/epic.htm

I saw it on its original release (in 35mm) but then it vanished from sight - it's never been shown on TV here in the UK as far as I know. I have a really crappy bootleg VHS version that doesn't do it any favours. Wouldn't mind seeing a decent restoration, though. As a previous post suggests, Disney should be ashamed.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I, too, saw The Big Fisherman in 35mm during its original release. I was a lover of such epics as a child, but found this one to be a crashing bore. It deserves to be restored and seen by a new generation if only to assess a late Borzage work.

And like you, John, I barely remember anything about it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I can just about remember enjoying The Story Of Ruth in the cinema all those years ago, then I finally got around to buying the DVD...& oh what a crushing bore!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks