What's new

Biblical Classics Collection from Fox in October (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Dvd empire is listing this box set for an October 14th release. The titles included are:
The Bible
The Robe
The Greatest Story Ever Told
Demetrius & The Gladiators

I wonder if these will have the already mentioned restored versions of The Robe (listed in the coming soon section of the fox classics web page) and Demetrius. I hope so.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Yeah, if this box contains a new restoration of The Robe, then I will buy it. If not then I will stick with all the old versions that I already have.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Oh, shoot!!! My heart skipped a beat when I saw the heading. I was hoping for Sodom And Gomorrah and Esther And The King at the very least, not stuff that's been out for years now.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Also, still waiting for Sampson and Delilah (don't know which studio is responsible for that).

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Looks like Fox is repackaging a lot of films in themed sets for that same date - everything from westerns to family films, christmas films, romances and films about dogs.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Yeah, kind of lame. I was hoping for another westerns box with all new films like the Rawhide, Gunfighter, Garden of Evil set. That set was a steal, they could've charged another $5 without many complaints.

The interesting thing is that they are mixing their own films with MGM/UA films in the same boxes.

Marc^H

Agent
I got very excited at first. Maybe "The Egyptian" was finally being released!!!

Alas, no. I'm crushed.

Though I guess it really isn't a "Bible" movie per se...

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't think Fox own "Sodom & Gomorrah", I think they just released it in America (in England it was released by Rank). I too want "The Egyptian" & I'm sure it's coming. If it was part of a box set of (so far) unreleased '50s Cinemascope films, it would be just great!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Totally. They could make it an epic and adventure set featuring The Egyptian along with King of the Khyber Rifles and an official release of Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. The main attraction of Reef is the on location CinemaScope cinematography and Bernard Herrmann's score. I can't see how else they could market it other than fitting it into a boxed set of other spectacle based films. A left field candidate for such a set would be On the Threshold of Space.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Fox released Sodom And Gomorrah on laser disc so I assume (incorrectly?) that they still retain U.S. video rights.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

It would be great if they did, I'd buy it. I was only 12 when it opened in England, & it was an X cert. so I was too young to see it. I wonder where all the original elements are?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have a CD of the soundtrack to Miklos Rozsa's marvelous score to Sodom And Gomorrah which contains an overture (4 minutes, 34 seconds) and intermission music (5 minutes, 8 seconds) so it appears the film was intended for a roadshow engagement at some point. It would be nice if Fox restored them to the transfer when and if it makes its DVD debut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks