Biamping with receiver and poweramp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Bracks, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Steve Bracks

Steve Bracks Auditioning

Hi Guys,
    I am thinking of biamping my mains . I run a RSX1065 and want to purchase another power amp biamp my fronts.

Can I use the 1065 to power the HF drivers and the poweramp to power the LF drivers? ( I am hoping to get away with a 2 channel amp
    or mayber a bridged RMB 1066.....that way a get a rear center channel)

My set up is :

RSX 1065
    B&W 604S3 front
    B&W LCR600S3 center
    B&W 602S3 rear
    MK MX105II Sub

Thanks
    Steve.

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Sure, it'll work. It might be easier if your separate amplifier has a volume control (and it might be harder if there's no way to control the pre-out level of the receiver). Of course, it might sound better if you run the amp full range and forget the receiver. I tried bi-amping as you describe and the sound was worse.. even though I used a small amp intended for HF reproduction only, it was better when run full range than in a passive bi-amp configuration with my previous one.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    With some receivers, the internal amp is disabled when you plug a connector into the pre-output. This would pretty much nuke the idea of bi-amping using the receiver as one of the amps.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

If it were me IMHO, I'd rather keep the amps to the mains of same caliber,assuming that the outboard amp would be of higher quality.If,however, you already have the two channels of outboard amplification,why not try it.

5. Mike Likens

Mike Likens Stunt Coordinator

I had the same idea a while back when in the market for an external amp. I talked directly with a tech at B&K. He says it will work but it's not a good idea. It will often result in poor sound. He quoted some technical reasons that i'm not quite sure about but something about sensitivity, gain and the ability to adjust levels properly. He made his case. So I nixed the idea.

6. Jonathan M

Jonathan M Second Unit

First of all, if you are not going to go with an active crossover, then so-called passive biamping is not worth the hassle IMO.

Secondly, if you are going fully active, then your receiver must have main amp ins as well as pre-outs. The active xover will likely have level control on it to match the sensitivities.

Ofcourse, if the active xover does not do things such as Baffle step compensation or take in to account the acoustic roll-offs of the drivers, then you may not hear an improvement anyway. (You will, however hear a difference.)