Biamping power amp with reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mubashir, Oct 20, 2002.

1. mubashir

mubashir Agent

I have a Sony STR-DB1070 reciever which is connected to a Cambridge Audio P500 power amp.I use the power amp to drive my hungry front speakers(as you guys know the sony reciever is under powered)and the remaining were driven by the Sony.Yesterday I took out the power amp from my setup and realised how great the treble sounded.All the detail I was missing this whole year really pissed me of but the problem now is that the Sony gets really hot.Now I have Biamped the reciever with the power amp so that the sony can drive higher frequency while the power amp drives the lower one.Is this a good idea or will it damage my equipment? By the way...this setup sounds great!!!!

2. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi mubashir,

I think that the two amps in question are polar opposites, in that the Cambridge has a typical British warmth (recessed treble) while the Sony is rather bright... it may be your ears are adjusting to the difference in treble qualities, and I think you'll find in the long term the Sony may be more fatiguing than the Cambridge.

However, should you stick to the bi-amp option, I am pretty sure the gain for both amps would be different, hence you would need to adjust the volume of the Cambridge using test tones to match the gain of the Sony receiver. This would only be possible if the Cambridge had a volume control, otherwise you would have a mismatch in voume between the tweeter and mid/bass drivers.

Cheers,
    Mike