What's new

Bi-wring what is it? (1 Viewer)

DannyS

Second Unit
Hello again. Thanks for all the info on Denon! Anyway, I hear a lot about bi-wiring of speakers. What is this, what does it do, and how or why should I do it?
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Danny,
Some speakers, usually the more expensive ones, have two sets of connectors so that two pairs of wires can connect to the speaker crossover (one set for higher frequencies and one for the lower). These speakers usually come with a jumper plate if you only want to use one pair of wires. You can even go as far as driving the speakers with two separate amps (bi-amping). There is lots of discussion about bi-wiring and bi-amping. I think most will agree that it is most effective when you have pretty good speakers driven by a pretty good (clean and powerful) amp. I'm sure I will bi-wire my speakers some day but it is lower on my priority (behind a decent sub, for one).
If you want to know more, just do a search on bi-wiring. There is lots about it on this board.
Joe

Bruce Abar

Stunt Coordinator
Joe hit it on the nose. If your speakers are built for Bi-wire, I would not hestitate on going that route. You can always purchase 14 or 16g wire and double the run to your speakers, twisting them together on the a/v side. This will give you the effect without a huge cost of so called Bi-wire.
------------------
Bruce
www.dvdtracker.com/~bruceabar.asp

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hmmm, I still dont really get it. How would running TWO cables from the same binding post give better sound quality?

Chip E

Screenwriter
It'll feed some juice directly to the tweeter and the mid woof/woofer instead of being routed through the speakers internal crossover. I'd like to try this with my PSB Stratus Silveri 's but, i just bought new speaker cables (Monster MC1-Monster Lock System terminated with banana plugs.....Maybe i'll give it a shot in a few months (maybe sooner, lol) :)
- Chip
------------------

Henry W

Stunt Coordinator
Bi wiring is a way for cable companies to sell more cable. It does not audibly improve your sound. However, if you decide to bi amp with electronic crossovers, you can dramaticly improve your sound. Bi amping is when you use seperate amplified channels for the upper and lower sounds. The crossover seperates the signal from the pre amp into high and low for the amp. If you decide to buy the Nautilus top of the line speakers at $60,000 each, you will need four channels of amplification for each speaker.
Best regards-Henry
------------------

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
However, if you decide to bi amp with electronic crossovers, you can dramaticly improve your sound.
Actually with biwirable speakers, you can biamp using the passive crossovers in the speakers. This will not be as effective, but will work.
------------------
-JQJ

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
If you do bi-wire is it required that you remove the jumper plate if you are feeding a line from the same binding post on the reciever/amp? Chris
------------------
Home Theater: http://www.ig-88.net

JohanK

Second Unit
Chris S, you definitely need to remove the jumper plate if you are going to try biwiring.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

So here's the next logical question: does anybody sell a 4-conductor speaker wire specifically made for bi-wiring? I have enough of a mess behind my speakers with the standard 2-conductor speaker wire, without doubling it.
Cheers,
Chris
------------------
Christian A. Sonntag
"The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
here might be an easy way to bi-wire w/o spending too much. just get 2 pairs of monster cable wire 16 gauge, and on the end of each pair, twist them together and use the monster twist crimp banana plug to run the wires through and connect it to the receiver. its really easy and looks really clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks