bi wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew BW, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Matthew BW

Matthew BW Stunt Coordinator

I am looking for a few opinions on bi wiring speakers. I am looking at bi wiring my new speakers and I have a few questions also. If I were to build my own bi wire speaker cable, would all I have to do is get to sets of wire per speaker and twist them together at one end and then connect them at the speakers or will that not work. My thought was I could twist them together and then just terminate them with a banana plug at the reciever. My other question is would I just be better off replacing the jumper with actual speaker wire. I read on one website that that is where most of the improvement comes from is getting ris of that cheap jumper.

Thanks

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I believe you're reading it correctly. Only one amp and two sets of wire are used. First you remove the bridge at the speakers. One set of wires goes to the top, one set to the bottom. At the receiver/amp end, the wires are connected together (pay attention to make sure you don't screw up the polarity...plusses with plusses, minuses with minuses).
    Now the question becomes, did biwiring provide an audible benefit? If you click on the following link http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36013 you can scroll to the bottom for a relatively simple way to determine if it did. Might as well read the rest of the thread while you're at it.
    Unless your exiting jumper (plate) is somehow defective replacing the wire does nothing to improve the sound, unless by some fortuitous luck you happened to change the position of the speakers to a more advantageous position! Its only redeeming quality is that its cheap. Although I'm sure there are people selling cable out there that will find a way to jack up the price of the wire sufficiently high to make you think there's something to it. Myself, I figure the manufacturer of the speakers i may like knows how to make these things correctly. IMHO, the greatest improvement in sound after you've bought your system comes from working to optimize the speaker placement followed by room considerations. Another way of saying it, in a non-politically correct sense cetain to offend people, is that removing the bridge and replacing it with wire is pure rubbish.

3. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

On mw Def Tech, i ran an RCA cable for the LFE on each of the three main front speakers. I removed the gold jumpers. I ran two pairs o 12 gauge wire to each speakers. On the amp side I used a large banana plug and connected the two pairs together (The large Banana plug could easliy handle both pairs of 12 gauge).
    At the speakers, I attached using large Banana plug to the High and Mid inputs.
    Now, does it make a difference? i thouhgt so. But really I don't think it matters that much. I just like to do things like most of us "tweakers" on this board.
    You can go and buy very expensive cables from MonsterCables or one of the advertisers on this fourm that have all the proper connection to Bi-Wire. I personally did not do this. I know too much about electrical engin. so I went to Home Depot and rdio Shack. If you have any quetions feel free to email me and I can walk you through it. This can be very expesive to do.
    -Michael
    [email protected]

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

off topic Michael, but no relationship to that spectacular Russian chessplayer by the same last name are you?

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

by being careful, methodical [​IMG]

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Matthew BW
    Follow that thread from Vince it will help. Post again if you need more help.

Chu Gai, Not to turn this into a Chess Forum, but he was my cousin. Obviuosly my family is from Russia (Mom's side from Lithuania, Vilna). He died around 1995 if I remember right. My Mom's side is not allowed back in Russia or we would have been there. Died in Moscow.

Sorry off topic.

-Michael

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Mikhail's passing back then saddened me. I enjoyed following his games over the years and had he the access to computers such as was enjoyed in the States, who knows where his programming would have taken the sport. A strong, analytical player. One of the giant's of his time.