What's new

Bi-wiring (1 Viewer)

BruceDN

Auditioning
I'm in the process of connecting my Denon 3803 receiver to Definitive Tchnology BP2002TL/CLR2500/BPX speakers. I decided to tri-wire the 2002's and 2500 using two runs of Sound King 12ga with Monster connectors and coax cables (Canare)from BDCable for the bass. The two runs of Sound King I terminated myself and used Techflex to capture the two into a neat package - but now the cables are quite stiff. I have Monster XP 16ga I could use instead to make a softer, smaller cable, but I want to feed my new speakers the best signal - have I gone too big with 12ga and would 16ga bi-wire give an equal result to the ear? Longest cable run is 14ft.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps it's me, but I'm a bit confused. Is it only the two runs of 12 gauge that are enclosed by the Techflex or is the coax in there too? If the latter scenario, then I'd think the stiffness is greatly dominated by the coax. If the former, then replacing the 12 gauge Sound Kind, which is quite flexible in its own right, with 16 gauge Monster might yield greater flexibility but I don't think it'd be anything to write home about.
Your runs are short. Two runs of 12 gauge gives you an effective gauge of 9 while two runs of 16 gauge gives you an effective gauge of 13. Regardless of the disparity, the differences in terms of FR is going to be quite neglible be it 16 or 9 gauge maybe 0.1 or 0.2 dB at 20 kHz. So while a thicker gauge will reesult in a 'straigher' line, the differences are simply inaudible.

BruceDN

Auditioning
The DT 2002's and 2500 are powered speakers with onboard subwoofers. When bi or tri-wired, the subwoofers are driven by a low level full range signal using an RCA type subwoofer cable. I chose a coax cable perfectly suited to the application since it carries low Hz signal only.
The coax cable is not bundled with the other cables otherwise it would be c*&k stiff.

Abe Rodrigue

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce,
a little off the subject, but where did you get the RCA adapters for coax? Using coax for the sub is a new one by me, (everything is new to me) but I think it would help in my situation, any info on doing it would help me a lot. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks