What's new

bi-wiring...... What's the point? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any advantage to doing this? I have NHT 2.9's for my mains and was considering a bi-wire for them. Does this change teh speaker inmpedence or anything like that? Any negatives to doing it?

Thanks.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Some people swear by it, some are dead against it. I had my B&W603s biwired, I read a thread here a while ago that suggested biwiring only the poisitive terminals (leave the jumper in place on the negative terminals of the speakers). I currently use this method.

All you can do is give it a try for yourself and see what you think.

Harry.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It effectively doubles the gauge running to your speakers. There are websites that illustrate mathematically why it has no other benefit. If interested let me know. However if you're curious as to conducting a simple experiment, and have some friends to assist you, check out this link and scroll to the bottom where I illustrate a rather simple method you can try. If you do try it, please be so kind as to post your results...
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36013

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
sorry to say I haven't Kevin. its something i've tried here and at my son's with results that indicated (suggested...words like that) we weren't able to discerna a difference. speaker manufacturers are divided on this topic i've found. there are some who provide it, that basically state it was done as a 'me too'...keeping up with the joneses and allowing their speakers to appear more audiophilish (sic!)...image and all that. others post reasons (theories) as to why it makes a difference. what i've found amusing is that various manufacturers ascribe to different positions on it. not sure what to make of it though. maybe its the work of people in marketing scouring websites, articles that they can put into print in which case it all depends what you've read. like i said, the test is easy. speaking for myself, i feel better knowing rather than believing.

cheers

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I have my front r+l and center bi-wired and I feel it makes no differance in sound whatsoever compared to having the jumpers in place.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Is there any advantage to doing this?
IMO, no. Unless you are running very small guage speaker wire. Some people swear by this method, but I can't comprehend how or why it would make a difference. I've tried it tin the past and it didn't do anything.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Philip,

I've heard folks before that seemed to have issues with the "jumper" bars connecting the high and low input binding posts. My real question is, why not just make a jumper using the exact same speaker cable that you have connected to the lower inputs? This would eliminate any possible issues with the bars and at the same time, potentially save a hell of a lot of money over buying another full length pair of speaker cables per channel.

Brian

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
No reason why not. I got my center channel speaker as a scratch 'n' dent (and boy is it scratched and dented!;)) with no jumper, so I just stripped some extra wire on my cables and run the bare copper right through both sets of binding posts.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
good solution Philip. the expense, hopefully, of wiring in that manner is neglible but then one must ask themselves, is the manufacturer of the speaker that one is so enamored with incapable of designing a proper bridge between the terminals? if so, then maybe one should rethink their choice of speaker.

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
BTW folks, if one decides to bi wire, is there a problem using a standard 16 gauge wire? I keep reading about bi wire cables. What are they??? A tweak for a tweak??

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
good solution Philip. the expense, hopefully, of wiring in that manner is neglible but then one must ask themselves, is the manufacturer of the speaker that one is so enamored with incapable of designing a proper bridge between the terminals? if so, then maybe one should rethink their choice of speaker.
:laugh: so true! That's why I haven't used this method on any of my other speakers. I trust B&W to supply appropriate jumpers.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Doesn't BI-wiring suggest Bi-amplification? If so here is the advantage of Bi-ampliphication. Doesn't sound like something that is necessary in a home though.

Advantages of Biamplification

The importance of biampiification in large cinemas cannot be overestimated. The reallocation of the power through biampiification has important beneficial effects. Specifically, intermodulation distortion is reduced at-high operating levels, and available power can be more directly matched to the specific HF or LF load.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Biwiring has nothing at all whatsoever to do with Biamping. There is no correlation between the two other than the prefix "bi".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks