bi wiring question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Feb 4, 2002
    I just bought the definitve clr 2002 as a demo for a really great price. Anyway the guy at the store told me to run two wires off of the same binding post of the reciever to each set of the center channel. Is this right? I was always under the impression that you needed an extra amp to bi wire.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

May 7, 2001
    I believe you're thikning of "bi-amping."

Do a search on this forum using "biwire" as the keyword. You'll get more results than you can read in a day. You don't NEED to bi-wire. But, Bi-wiring is a wonderful opportunity to spend alot of money on wire.

Try it out. See what you think. My speakers are "made" to be bi-wired in that they have 2 sets of binding posts on each speaker. I tried it and couldn't notice any difference at all. Some people will swear it makes their system sound much better. In fact that's the comprehensive results of your search in a nutshell: It's a matter of preference. Some will swear it works wonders while others think it's a complete waste of time and wire. I fall into the second category.

3. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Nov 2, 2001
    Matt- An additional amp is needed to "bi-amp". "Bi-wiring" requires an additional pair of "wire". It can get confusing 'tho. The two pairs of terminals on your speaker can be connected in the following configurations.
    1. One speaker wire from your receiver/amp to either pair of the connectors on the speaker. The 2 "+" and 2 "-" connetors must be joined with a jumper of some sort, usually a flat metal bar or pin.
    2. Two speaker wires (or single 4 conductor) connect to rec/amp's center channel jacks, then "Y" so that 2 + and 2 -
    wires can be hooked to the 2 pair of post on the speaker.(remove jumpers!)
    3. Connect existing amp to one set of posts, and separate amp to the other.
    Points to consider: #1 is probably best for most receivers. Biwiring lowers the impedence of your speaker,(most often to 3-4 ohms) and many receivers will not do well with less than an 8 ohm load. Even if the unit can handle it, any benefit is pretty unlikey.
    #2 is best used with a seperate amplifer. They tend to be tolerant to lower ohm loads and other changes biwiring brings on. Benefits vary, but are often worthwhile.
    #3 is the the way it would be done in a perfect world. One amp for each driver or freq. range. Duplicate components and cabling throughout is ideal, but even then overall balance and intergration can be a nightmare. Big bank is no guarantee.
    I would suggest a single, quality cable. If possible, toss the cheap-o jumper and link up the binding posts with a small piece of the same cable. That will probably make a bigger improvement than biwiring.
    And just for grins, if you get a chance, would you ask your salesguy why he suggests biwiring in your case and let us know? Best wishes.