bi-wiring of Monitor Audio speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MitchJS, Jan 17, 2002.

1. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

I just purchased new monitor audio 8i's for mains and 10i for center. I know they can be bi-wired by removing the jumper plate and then connecting 2 seperate speaker wires to the + and - sides. Do these speaker wires then get connected to the same post (+ and - for left and right)on the receiver? Does this really improve the sound quality? My receiver is Marantz SR8000 and I'm using 16 gauge flat Monster speaker wire. It was hard enough wrapping the bare wire around each post, that I can't imagine that there is enough room to put another wire on that post. Should I put spade connections on the ends of the bare wire?

2. DanKaps

DanKaps Extra

To bi-wire, you run two pair of wires (per channel) from the 2 output terminals on your receiver/amp to the four posts on your speakers. Meaning, for your center channel, two wires connected to your receiver's positive output, one going to each of the positive terminals on the speaker. Then, two wires from the receiver's negative post with one going to each of the speaker's negative posts. The same logic applies to the other channels.
    Dan Kaps
    www.heartlandcables.com

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Yes Mitch, if it is easier to terminate spade connectors on the wire and stack them on the binding post of the receiver (vs. wrapping bare wire) then have at it.

The sonic improvment is debatable, but I have my Paradigms bi-wired and I believe there is a sonic improvment. To me, the soundstage is better with clearer highs and mids. For the meager cost of the extra wire, try it and see if you notice a difference. If you do not, you are out a very small bit of time and $$.

4. James Miller

James Miller Stunt Coordinator

Ok.... here's the opposite situation.... I have a pair of Vandersteen 2's which are currently biwired (using a+b terminals... yes, I know that isn't the way to do it) but am getting a new Onkyo receiver which does not have B terminals.

Can I NOT bi-wire the Vandersteen? There are four posts (upper/middle and bass, pos/neg) but there was never a "plate" or anything that converted from single to bi-wireable...

I'm having a hell of a time finding affordable bi-wires... pre-made; I don't want to fiddle with making them myself) and would rather than single wire them and lose whatever slight quality....

thanks!

5. Gifford L

Gifford L Agent

"Yes Mitch, if it is easier to terminate spade connectors on the wire and stack them on the binding post of the receiver (vs. wrapping bare wire) then have at it. "

The only receivers I know that can accept a spade are B&K's. Most have a plastic surround that make spades impossible to connect. If you have a receiver then Bananna's is the way to go. Simple wire 2 wires to one of the nicer bananna plugs. Get some that handle 12 gauge and you shouldn't have a problem. If you have an amp that will accept spades then do the same thing by crimping 2 wires into one spade lug.

Good luck.

6. MitchJS

MitchJS Extra

Thank you everyone who replied. I did the bi-wiring tonight and the speakers do sound richer with a little more seperation of sound (unless it's just my imagination). I'm not using very thick wire (16 gauge) but it was hard to twist the 2 wires and get them on the posts of my receiver. I used bare wires. My receiver, Marantz SR8000, which I just received last week, doesn't accept spades. I don't think it will accept anything other than bare wire twisted around the post with the plastic knob screwed down. Does anyone know another method for this receiver.