What's new

BI WIRING...not the same old questions. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ok, ok, most of you are probably saying...biwiring again, haven't we finished with that. I know biwiring has been brought up a thousand times on this forum and I have read if not contributed to most of those threads. But I just thought of a question/situation that I have not seen brought up on here before.
(for this we'll say we a listening to 2 channel music but in a 5.1 or greater system)
Biwiring using a 5.1 receivers internal amps
VS
Biwiring using a 2 channel or higher outboard amp
Should you biwire using a receiver. A simple 5.1 receiver (say with 75w or up internal amp) or is biwiring adding to much strain.
Is biwiring meant to be used with dedicated outboard amps only?
------------------
Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
Could you pick them up for me?

RicP

Screenwriter
Is biwiring meant to be used with dedicated outboard amps only?
In answering this question only...No. You can Bi-Wire with any amplifier, whether it is in a reciever or an outboard separate amplifier.
------------------
http://www.ricperrott.com
Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ric, I understand that you can biwire speakers when they are hooked up to a receiver. The reason I ask is because I read a thread, or article about biwiring and they had mentioned doing it after the purchase of an outboard amplifier. I'm just wondering if there is any downfalls (amplification wise) in biwiring using the comon amplifiers in most receivers?
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"I'm just wondering if there is any downfalls (amplification wise) in biwiring using the comon amplifiers in most receivers?"
No. In fact, I find an upside to bi-wiring my mains from a Denon 5800. Sounds better to me. Give it a try both ways and decide which sounds best to your ears. I did try bi-wiring my surrounds, but didn't notice any difference.
Jeremy

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Ok, I miss explained myself. I have my Paradigm Monitor 7's biwired to my Yamaha Rxv 800 receiver. And I do here a difference, for the better. I'm just wondering if there is any remote possibility that it damages the standard small amplifiers found in most receivers.
------------------

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have Paradigm Monitor 7's bi-wired to my Yamaha RX-V795, the older version of your 800. There is no damage to my receiver from bi-wiring.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Bi-wiring, by itself, will not place any strain on the amp. After all, the impedance that is "seen" by the amp is that of the speaker, not the wire. As such, the load placed on the amp is determined by the speaker, and shouldn't be(and isn't in the vast majority of cases) limited by the wires.
If any of the wire you use, normal or bi-wired, has significant impedance, then you're not using the right stuff.
Todd

John A. Gordon

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JohnG
Any good component is based on good engineering. When it comes to bi-wiring, look at physics, or the superposition theorem: any number of voltages applied together in a linear network will result in a current which is the exact sum of the currents that would result if the voltages were applied individually. Which means, bi-wiring does nothing. Now, bi-amping is another story.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No strain Ryan. How did you so to speak, A/B, the wiring to arrive at your conclusion?
John, you been talking to Kirchoff again? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks